Nord Lead 1 Rack Factory Reset

Nord's classical Virtual Analog Synth Nord LEAD 1/2/2x/3/4/A1 and Nord Rack versions
maxpiano
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Re: Nord Lead 1 Rack Factory Reset

Post by maxpiano »

Youthpose wrote:Is their any conversation that needs to happen with that .mid file? I tried to drop it into Ableton with no luck.
I also tried to send via Midi-Ox with no change to the patches. I have the MIDI in/out configured correctly and it'll send the data but no change occurs on the Nord and the presets I made myself are still there.
You shouldn't need any conversion, I am not using Ableton so I cannot help with it but on the Mac I used to send that type of .mid with sysex with Mainstage or Logic, with no issues nor conversion needed.

On Windows, maybe you can look for another/simpler DAW (Reaper for example) or a more basic midifile player like this one https://chrishills.org.uk/ChrisHills/midiplay/ (just one I found via Google, I guess there are many)?
Last edited by maxpiano on 10 Jul 2023, 16:54, edited 4 times in total.
Youthpose

Post by Youthpose »

maxpiano wrote:
Youthpose wrote:Is their any conversation that needs to happen with that .mid file? I tried to drop it into Ableton with no luck.
I also tried to send via Midi-Ox with no change to the patches. I have the MIDI in/out configured correctly and it'll send the data but no change occurs on the Nord and the presets I made myself are still there.
You shouldn't need any conversion, I am not using Ableton so I cannot help with it but on the Mac I used to send that type of .mid with sysex with Mainstage or Logic, with no issues nor conversion needed.

On Windows, maybe you can look for another/simpler DAW (Reaper for example) or a more basic midifile player like this one https://chrishills.org.uk/ChrisHills/midiplay/ (just one I found via Google, I guess there are many)?
Thanks for all of your help. I'll try another midi program and see if I can get things working. It's strange to me that Ableton 11 Suite wouldn't be able to import a simple midi file with sysex data.
23skidoo
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 3

Post by 23skidoo »

Not at all strange. Ableton has long had issues with, and outright blocks against, sysex data.
Youthpose

Post by Youthpose »

23skidoo wrote:Not at all strange. Ableton has long had issues with, and outright blocks against, sysex data.
Man, I'm racking my brain trying to figure out why I can't get this to work for me.
I tried to send the internal.mid file to the Nord with Midi-Ox program. I'm 100% all of my midi in/out settings are correct. I'm not sure if the Nord has to be set up a certain way to receive the information but when I send the .mid/sysex information, nothing on the Nord changes.
Bank 1 presets 1-40 are all still my self made presets.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Post by maxpiano »

To be sure your MIDI setup is correct (which MIDI interface are you using), are you able to just play some normal .mid (notes) to the NL1?

PS: from NL1 manual, page 106

Restoring the Factory Programs in RAM
Don’t hesitate to replace the Factory Programs in RAM locations 01 to 40 with sounds of your own! The Factory Programs are duplicated in ROM Performances L0 to L9, as listed below. To extract one of these sounds from its Performance, and store it as a Program, follow the instructions on page 35.

maybe that's all you actually need?
Last edited by maxpiano on 11 Jul 2023, 15:05, edited 1 time in total.
Youthpose

Post by Youthpose »

maxpiano wrote:To be sure your MIDI setup is correct (which MIDI interface are you using), are you able to just play some normal .mid (notes) to the NL1?

PS: from NL1 manual, page 106

Restoring the Factory Programs in RAM
Don’t hesitate to replace the Factory Programs in RAM locations 01 to 40 with sounds of your own! The Factory Programs are duplicated in ROM Performances L0 to L9, as listed below. To extract one of these sounds from its Performance, and store it as a Program, follow the instructions on page 35.

maybe that's all you actually need?
I use a FocusRite Scarlett i8i8. All send/receive data is being done through midi channel 1. The Nord has no problem receiving midi data in a normal, instrument play scenario.
Will follow up with that manual advice ^