General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Re: NS4 Possible Bug - No Single Layer Organ Preset Option

Postby WannitBBBad » 28 May 2023, 14:00

One thing to check perhaps: if you set up an organ on Layer B and then select a preset that has an active Layer A but Layer B not turned on, will the drawbar settings for Layer B be erased, or will they be retained but the layer turned off according to the preset?
Nord Stage 3 | SC Prophet T8 | Korg X50... In the past: Nord Stage EX, 2, 2EX | SC Prophet 5, 10 | MiniMoog | Hammond B3 & 122 Leslie | Yamaha DX7IIFD, EX5, CP60 | Hohner D6 | Fender Rhodes | Roland S-50, D-50, XP-50...
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Sponsor

Postby jonilikeskeys » 28 May 2023, 15:14

WannitBBBad wrote:One thing to check perhaps: if you set up an organ on Layer B and then select a preset that has an active Layer A but Layer B not turned on, will the drawbar settings for Layer B be erased, or will they be retained but the layer turned off according to the preset?

Awesome question: Layer B is not overwritten, if you call up a Layer A organ preset.
At the same time you can save organs as Layer B ONLY!!!

So in theory - if you split or switch a lot, you can have a couple of "typical" A-ORGANS and a couple of typical B-ORGANS. However no single layer preset.
In that moment it would be a problem to save the passive layer, as well. Because then (and that was your question) the already present layer would be gone/overwritten with the inactive layer or the called-up preset.

Also interesting: ALL existing factory organ presets are on layer A only, there are no layers.
Also interesting: If you add an organ (B to A or A to B), the latest effect layer will be the one that will remain for both organs.

So you kind of HAVE single layer presets, but they are bound to the layer (A or B) you saved them to. At the same time, the latest preset that has been called up, defines the effects.

Now I think it would actually make sense to have these single layer presets, just with the restriction that the latest called-up presets defines the effect layer.

I am a bit confused, to be honest... This is not at all a musical problem or anything, just a bit weird...

The author jonilikeskeys was thanked by:
WannitBBBad
jonilikeskeys

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby WannitBBBad » 28 May 2023, 15:48

jonilikeskeys wrote:....Now I think it would actually make sense to have these single layer presets, just with the restriction that the latest called-up presets defines the effect layer.

I am a bit confused, to be honest... This is not at all a musical problem or anything, just a bit weird...

It seems more flexibility would be afforded if one had a choice of single-layer or dual-layer organ presets with the only compromise being that the last preset loaded on either layer would dictate the effects chain to be used, but I think the current implementation might be the best compromise.
Last edited by WannitBBBad on 30 May 2023, 15:27, edited 2 times in total.
Nord Stage 3 | SC Prophet T8 | Korg X50... In the past: Nord Stage EX, 2, 2EX | SC Prophet 5, 10 | MiniMoog | Hammond B3 & 122 Leslie | Yamaha DX7IIFD, EX5, CP60 | Hohner D6 | Fender Rhodes | Roland S-50, D-50, XP-50...

The author WannitBBBad was thanked by 2 members, including:
SuperStagejonilikeskeys
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator

Postby SuperStage » 28 May 2023, 23:07

WannitBBBad wrote:One thing to check perhaps: if you set up an organ on Layer B and then select a preset that has an active Layer A but Layer B not turned on, will the drawbar settings for Layer B be erased, or will they be retained but the layer turned off according to the preset?

I did this and it only loads saves the layers that are turned on. So if you create drawbar settings on A + B and only A is turned on, it only saves/loads A. If both A and B are turned on on the same layer, it saves/loads both. If A and B are turned on, but are on different layers/scenes, only the active part on the active scene will be saved/loaded.

I will document and send to Nord support as this doesn't make sense and combined with the removal of the Preset I/Preset II is a big downgrade to the organ section compared to the NS3.
SuperStage

Vancouver, Canada
Nord Stage 4 Compact, Nord Stage 3 Compact, Nord Electro 5D, Yamaha P-70, 1959 Hammond B3, 1965 Leslie 122A

The author SuperStage was thanked by 2 members, including:
StuartRWannitBBBad
SuperStage

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby WannitBBBad » 30 May 2023, 14:39

SuperStage wrote:

I did this and it only loads saves the layers that are turned on. So if you create drawbar settings on A + B and only A is turned on, it only saves/loads A. If both A and B are turned on on the same layer, it saves/loads both. If A and B are turned on, but are on different layers/scenes, only the active part on the active scene will be saved/loaded.

I will document and send to Nord support as this doesn't make sense and combined with the removal of the Preset I/Preset II is a big downgrade to the organ section compared to the NS3.

I agree that the loss of Preset I and II will be quite limiting compared to the NS3. After thinking about the current implementation of presets on the NS4, I think we're in a better place if a Preset doesn't save the settings of a turned-off layer - that's the job of the Program. If you have a favorite B3 888 setting, you might want to use that on quite a few programs as Layer A where you may want to be ready to use a different setting for Layer B that's initially turned off. If the settings of the turned-off layer of
Preset always overwrites that layer, you would have to have multiple Preset copies of your favorite B3 888 with different versions of the turn-off layer. IMO it's better to be able to call up a Preset with only Layer A active and be able to set Layer B with a different Preset where only Layer B is active, and give you the flexibility to turn it off initially in the Program you're creating. I'd prefer if there was such a thing as a single-layer Preset that could be used on either Layer A or Layer B, but how it's currently designed is workable. Unless theres an easier way to know how Presets are set up, I will likely have Layer A-only presets with "A" at the beginning of the name, "B" at the beginning of the Layer B-only Presets, and "AB" when both Layers in the Preset are active.
Last edited by WannitBBBad on 30 May 2023, 14:52, edited 2 times in total.
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator

Previous

Return to Nord Stage Forum