General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Changing sample categories

Postby jdc2991 » 21 May 2023, 19:28

Hello dear all! Using NS4. Can someone indicate how we can edit sample categories (for instance to change a sample tag from Misc to Synth pads) ? I imported samples using Nord Sound manager but they are automatically tagged as Msc and can't seem to change it. Thanks in advance

The author jdc2991 was thanked by:
TomGisler
jdc2991

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Changing sample categories

Sponsor

Re: Changing sample categories

Postby WannitBBBad » 21 May 2023, 21:24

jdc2991 wrote:Hello dear all! Using NS4. Can someone indicate how we can edit sample categories (for instance to change a sample tag from Misc to Synth pads) ? I imported samples using Nord Sound manager but they are automatically tagged as Msc and can't seem to change it. Thanks in advance

Unfortunately the sample categories can't be changed with Nord Sound Manager as the category is assigned when the sample is created. If you have the original Nord Sample Editor project file and related WAV files, a new sample can be created using a different category. I'm considering going back and recreating some of my samples under more appropriate categories now that Nord is assigning samples to 100-sample category blocks. I don't expect Clavia to change NSM to allow it to change the category of a Nord NSMP4 sample, but hopeful they will consider allowing the user to at least have the opportunity to change the category of a "user-created" NSMP or NSMP3 file in the NSMP4 conversion process.
Last edited by WannitBBBad on 21 May 2023, 23:33, edited 1 time in total.
Nord Stage 3 | SC Prophet T8 | Korg X50... In the past: Nord Stage EX, 2, 2EX | SC Prophet 5, 10 | MiniMoog | Hammond B3 & 122 Leslie | Yamaha DX7IIFD, EX5, CP60 | Hohner D6 | Fender Rhodes | Roland S-50, D-50, XP-50...

The author WannitBBBad was thanked by 2 members, including:
SuperStagejdc2991
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby jdc2991 » 21 May 2023, 22:46

WannitBBBad wrote:
jdc2991 wrote:Hello dear all! Using NS4. Can someone indicate how we can edit sample categories (for instance to change a sample tag from Misc to Synth pads) ? I imported samples using Nord Sound manager but they are automatically tagged as Msc and can't seem to change it. Thanks in advance

Unfortunately the sample categories can't be changed with Nord Sound Manager as the category is assigned when the sample is created. If you have the original Nord Sample Editor project file and related WAV files, a new sample can be created using a different category. I'm considering going back and recreating some of my samples under more appropriate categories now that Nord is assigning samples to 100-sample category blocks. I don't expect Clavia to change NSM to allow it to change the category of a Nord NSMP4 sample, but hopeful they will consider allowing the user to at least have the opportunity to change the category of a NSMP or NSMP3 file in the NSMP4 conversion process.

Thank you - that's clear and slightly disappointing :)
jdc2991

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Postby Mr_-G- » 23 May 2023, 09:41

Has anybody tried compiling the same project file under two different categories? Perhaps the category can be edited with a hex-editor and recalculate the checksum (I am assuming there is one).
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby WannitBBBad » 23 May 2023, 13:59

Mr_-G- wrote:Has anybody tried compiling the same project file under two different categories? Perhaps the category can be edited with a hex-editor and recalculate the checksum (I am assuming there is one).

I haven't tried it, but that's a good idea. Looking at the NSE project file, there are numbers assigned for a category and subcategory, so we have some idea what to look for when comparing NSMP files with a hex editor.
Last edited by WannitBBBad on 23 May 2023, 14:11, edited 1 time in total.
Nord Stage 3 | SC Prophet T8 | Korg X50... In the past: Nord Stage EX, 2, 2EX | SC Prophet 5, 10 | MiniMoog | Hammond B3 & 122 Leslie | Yamaha DX7IIFD, EX5, CP60 | Hohner D6 | Fender Rhodes | Roland S-50, D-50, XP-50...
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator

Postby TomGisler » 26 May 2023, 12:43

That would be very helpful! My Misc Category is full, all the others are quite empty...but I can't imagine, what you mean with hex-editor..anyway..maybe one of you could help:-) Thanks!!
TomGisler

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 4

Postby WannitBBBad » 26 May 2023, 14:20

TomGisler wrote:That would be very helpful! My Misc Category is full, all the others are quite empty...but I can't imagine, what you mean with hex-editor..anyway..maybe one of you could help:-) Thanks!!

I don't see a quick fix for anyone on this absent Clavia addressing it. Our best option is for all to urge Clavia to address whatever the limiting factor is in its new design of placing sample files in fixed 100-sample categories (allow changing sample categories, expand category bank once first 100 is filled,..).
Last edited by WannitBBBad on 26 May 2023, 15:32, edited 2 times in total.

The author WannitBBBad was thanked by:
TomGisler
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator

Postby TomGisler » 29 May 2023, 00:02

I wrote to clavia begin of mai. No answer still right now..hopefully they will solve the problems..:-)
Last edited by TomGisler on 23 Jul 2023, 13:13, edited 1 time in total.
TomGisler

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 4

Return to Nord Stage Forum