Share and download User samples and project files (*.nsmp, *.nsmp3, *.nsmp4, *.nsmproj)"
Forum rules
How to get the MP3-Player:
Upload a MP3 file where you play some notes using your sample.
Click the "PLACE INLINE" button after uploading the MP3 sample in order to automatically create a Flash MP3 player in your post!
Also check the Forum Rules, in particular rule #6 about the sharing of patches and samples.

Re: Maxwell's Silver Hammer Moog/ Tuesday Afternoon

Postby dhbp-nord » 25 Jun 2015, 21:55

Didn't Nord use the original master recordings rather than sample actual Mellotrons? That would explain why they are at a higher fidelity. I remember playing on a Mellotron at The Keyboard Shop in Montreal way back in the day, it was a very dark sounding instrument as I recall.

DH
-Nord Stage 3 88
-Novation SL MKII 61
-Rise 2
-Alesis Q88
-Roland AX-09
-Focusrite 18i20
-ASUS ROG laptop, 32gb, 6 TB SSDs, Win11, Ableton 11, Reaper
-Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian
-Arturia, Komplete, IK suites
-Behringer X18
-StagePas 400i
-EV ZLX-15BT
dhbp-nord

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Sponsor

Postby RedLeo » 25 Jun 2015, 22:38

Certainly they would have gone for the cleanest possible recording. The only way to get the "Mike Pinder" sound would have been to replay it through his modified Mellotron which I'm sure they didn't do. Individual Mellotrons would probably sound different to each other anyway, it wasn't an exact science. And different models would probably have sounded different from one another as well.
RedLeo
Patch Creator

Postby neolithic » 28 Jun 2015, 12:48

RedLeo wrote:I have Mellotron samples from Mike Pinder's Mellotron, and they don't sound exactly right either!

You will need to EQ the sound a bit. Reduce the treble to make the sound a bit more muffled for a start. This the most important thing to do for the Moody Blues sound.

You might find this article interesting: http://www.mikepinder.com/?page_id=159

And this, which shows his Mellotron being restored and explains why the Moody Blues Mellotron sound is different, along with audio examples:

http://kleonard.com/mellotron/vt0304/pindertron3.htm

"When compared to Jerry's Mark I, the sound differences are staggering. If you play 3-violins on Julia, you hear King Crimson with bright violins. On {Mike Pinder's mk2] you hear the Moody Blues with a somewhat compressed and duller sound larger in the lower end. Jerry explained that the other Mellotrons have a built in equalization curve to brighten up the higher end, but the Mike Pinder preamp does not. Thus, the Moody Blues right out of the box."

Thanks Leo - interesting links! love stuff like this :thumbup:
And now for something completely different...
neolithic
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby Harpo » 13 Mar 2023, 03:36

Tuesday Afternoon had 3 violins and about 10% tenor sax blended with the eq adjusted down a bit, then add some reverb.
Gig gear: Nord Stage 3, Nord Wave, Nord Lead 2x, Kurzweil PC38K, Yamaha Motif,Hydrasynth, Minimoog reissue, Minimoog Voyager, Moog Taurus, Mellotron 4000D, Microkorg.

Studio gear: Oberheim Matrix 12, Yamaha CS-60, Alesis Andromeda, ARP 2600, MiniKorgs.
Harpo

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby horowizard » 17 May 2023, 14:24

I have digital files of the Abbey Road multitracks, so getting the Moog sounds are not a problem. You just won't get the gliding, swooping gestures of the obligato and end solo parts unless you sample the complete phrases.
horowizard
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby eisblau » 28 May 2023, 03:50

Yeah, what about the Silver Hammer Moog sound? It's simple but the same time very special and airy.
Nord Gear: Nord Rack 1, Nord Wave, Nord Lead 3 KB, Nord Modular G2 + G2X, Nord Lead 4r (x2)
eisblau

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 4

Previous

Return to Nord User Samples (*.nsmp, *.nsmp3, *.nsmp4 files)