General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Effects loop?

Postby wkrbee » 24 May 2023, 20:59

Wild shot in the dark. Any way to add an effects loop to the NS3? Can't stand the "Overdrive" but putting a outboard one on the output ends up having it after the Leslie sim. I thought about taking i+2 outputs running to outboard gear and sending it back in the Aux input, but that would probably create a feedback loop. Maybe routing out 3+4 and using the Aux input and having 1+2 as the outputs?
wkrbee

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord C1

Effects loop?

Sponsor

Re: Effects loop?

Postby WannitBBBad » 24 May 2023, 23:08

Unfortunately there isn't any way to be able to insert an external effect into the signal chain pre-Leslie. If you have a control pedal, maybe try it on the Swell, as the overdrive breakup is more natural. Though post-Leslie, some users also try a combination of overdrive and drive from the EQ section. Good luck.
Last edited by WannitBBBad on 24 May 2023, 23:20, edited 1 time in total.
Nord Stage 3 | SC Prophet T8 | Korg X50... In the past: Nord Stage EX, 2, 2EX | SC Prophet 5, 10 | MiniMoog | Hammond B3 & 122 Leslie | Yamaha DX7IIFD, EX5, CP60 | Hohner D6 | Fender Rhodes | Roland S-50, D-50, XP-50...
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby SuperStage » 25 May 2023, 01:42

wkrbee wrote:Wild shot in the dark. Any way to add an effects loop to the NS3? Can't stand the "Overdrive" but putting a outboard one on the output ends up having it after the Leslie sim. I thought about taking i+2 outputs running to outboard gear and sending it back in the Aux input, but that would probably create a feedback loop. Maybe routing out 3+4 and using the Aux input and having 1+2 as the outputs?

The AUX IN is always routed to both the headphones and main outputs 1-2. In the NS3 Manual P54, you can assign the organ, piano and/or synth voices to a SUB output 3-4 and then through an effects chain and back in the AUX IN with no feedback loop. I use this to bypass the internal leslie SIM send the organ to output 3 (mono) and into a Hall of Fame reverb and then into a Neo VENT II and back in the AUX IN and out the Main outputs 1 + 2.

Unfortunately "Sounds using the Rotary effect are always routed to outputs 1-2, regardless of Output Routing settings"
SuperStage

Vancouver, Canada
Nord Stage 4 Compact, Nord Stage 3 Compact, Yamaha P-70, 1959 Hammond B3, Leslie 122A
SuperStage

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby wkrbee » 26 May 2023, 01:03

I have been using a GSI Burn which has a tube overdrive and Leslie sim with my old EL2. The Burn is still superior to the NS3 overdrive and Leslie sim. I'll try your suggestion SuperStage
wkrbee

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord C1

Postby Hlaalu » 26 May 2023, 07:11

SuperStage wrote:The AUX IN is always routed to both the headphones and main outputs 1-2. In the NS3 Manual P54, you can assign the organ, piano and/or synth voices to a SUB output 3-4 and then through an effects chain and back in the AUX IN with no feedback loop. I use this to bypass the internal leslie SIM send the organ to output 3 (mono) and into a Hall of Fame reverb and then into a Neo VENT II and back in the AUX IN and out the Main outputs 1 + 2.

Doing this though won't solve the OP's issue, that is having the overdrive pre Leslie. I too route the organ to ch 3 and then send it to a Vent, but I assumed the OP's standpoint is that he wanted to use the internal Leslie sim but an external overdrive before it, and as Wannitbbbad points out, this is not possible.
Hlaalu

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Return to Nord Stage Forum