Share and download User samples and project files (*.nsmp, *.nsmp3, *.nsmp4, *.nsmproj)"
Forum rules
How to get the MP3-Player:
Upload a MP3 file where you play some notes using your sample.
Click the "PLACE INLINE" button after uploading the MP3 sample in order to automatically create a Flash MP3 player in your post!
Also check the Forum Rules, in particular rule #6 about the sharing of patches and samples.

Four Sticks - Led Zeppelin VCS3

Postby katfood » 14 Apr 2023, 19:06

Hey all,

My band is doing a Led Zeppelin IV album cover show and I'm having a heck of a time mimicking the synth sound on Four Sticks.
John Paul Jones uses an EMS VCS3 in this song.
Hoping to find a way to mimic that sound that starts 3 mins in.

Thank you!
katfood

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Four Sticks - Led Zeppelin VCS3

Sponsor

Re: Four Sticks - Led Zeppelin VCS3

Postby Elias » 15 Apr 2023, 16:05

Working purely by ear here, since I'm not at my instrument, but here is something in case it helps:

I mainly hear a cimbination of two layers (although there is a lot of things happening with guitars which makes this hard).

First is the sound that is also heard before the 3 mins mark. Reminds me of the Mellotron Flute. Or maybe a filtered Cello sample. Mellow and organic.

Then comes the sizzling bright part. Try high passing a lot to get rid of mids, especially lower mids. Probably don't need resonance. Combine basic waveforms like a narrower pulse and a saw at the same frequency. No unison/detune, because the sound is entirely static.

You might get a good enoug combination with the LP/HP filter jus inside one synth engine, even without using the Flute sample approach. But especially if you already had that mellower sound sorted out, just add the sizzling on top and you'll be golden.

PS.
Nailing this sound might be a tempting goal, but in reality I'm fairly confident, that your band and your audience will be happy with just something similar.

PPS.
The problem be the notes you are (or are not) playing. Not the synth programming.

PPPS.
Can you share the program (and samples) and a recording of what you have right now? Maybe people can tell you what's wrong?
User-created Stage 2/3 file viewer: https://ns3-program-viewer.cyclic.app
Art is a great excuse to meet another human.

The author Elias was thanked by:
Per W
Elias

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Re: Four Sticks - Led Zeppelin VCS3

Postby horowizard » 17 May 2023, 14:14

This sound is basically three Oscillators tuned to a Triad. If you know somebody with a Minimoog, you can sample it yourself. Start with three Sawtooth waves, fairly bright Filter setting and some Resonance.
horowizard
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Return to Nord User Samples (*.nsmp, *.nsmp3, *.nsmp4 files)