General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

inaccurate audio from stage 3 receiving midi from pro tools

Postby mufffin » 17 May 2023, 05:46

the equipment I’m using:
-nord stage 3 receiving midi from
whatever is the current version of ProTools studio via
an Apollo x8

the issue I’m having is that the nord is definitely receiving accurate messages (I can see the rhythm on the indicator light) but the audio being fed back onto Protools leaves significant gaps both in the actual notes and also in other parameters originating from the midi ProTools track’s midi data. by comparison, if you instantiate an instrument plugin on the instrument track (the mini grand, in this case), the instrument track plays all data perfectly. I changed a bunch of parameters within the nord’s midi preferences to no change in behavior. really confusing!

does anyone have a general sense of what is going on here? where do you think the problem is originating? any ideas you might have would be so appreciated!
mufffin

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

inaccurate audio from stage 3 receiving midi from pro tools

Sponsor

Re: inaccurate audio from stage 3 receiving midi from pro to

Postby FZiegler » 17 May 2023, 08:41

Would be worth analysing the MIDI commands sent. Maybe the data sent is too dense: notes plus different CC. MIDI is a relatively slow protocol. You might need to pinch out some controller data in order to get everything executed. That's only an assumption, no clear experience, though.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
FZiegler
Donator

Re: inaccurate audio from stage 3 receiving midi from pro to

Postby maxpiano » 17 May 2023, 09:55

I'd check if any MIDI loop is happening (using a MIDI Monitor or switching NS3 to Local OFF, just in case) and I'd also try a direct USB connection instead of MIDI via the Apollo.

It would be anyway good to know what is the current MIDI configuration of NS3 and what exactly are you sending to it to be played (for example: is it a single instrument/single channel track and what CCs are involved, just piano pedals or more? Then, if it is a .mid file you may share it or part of it here for others to test for you)
Last edited by maxpiano on 17 May 2023, 11:29, edited 4 times in total.

The author maxpiano was thanked by:
FZiegler
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Return to Nord Stage Forum