Discuss other brands keyboards, synthesizers, modules, software, controllers including how they compare or work with the Nords.

Fatar TP/100LR vs TP/40L ? Is the first lighter to play ?

Postby troubadour » 21 Apr 2023, 02:40

Hello everyone, I'm new here, I have a Kurzweil pc3k8.
I would like to change, for Nord or Kurzweil, or something else, I don't know yet.
What I do know is that the Fatar TP/100LR http://www.fatar.com/Pages/TP100LR.html is common on many workstations, so it can save or eliminate a lot of choices depending on whether it suits me or not.
In addition to other criteria, including sounds and engine of course, I'm looking for a weighted keyboard that' is lighter to play than the pc3k8 (TP/40L , yet called 'light' http://www.fatar.com/Pages/TP_40_GH_ES.htm ), I'm getting older and my fingers aren't as nimble anymore.
I do know that the tp40l is better quality than the tp100lr (lr stands for 'low resistance'), this one is probably noisier, some find it spongy, springy, whatever, all that matters to me is knowing if I should apply less weight with my finger than the tp40l for the same note.
Have any of you tried both? And if so, is the tp100lr lighter than the tp40l?
Thanks a lot for your help!

PS I live in a small town, I know I have to go and try some midi keyboards that are often in stock further away, which have the tp100lr, but I'm currently short of time.
troubadour

Fatar TP/100LR vs TP/40L ? Is the first lighter to play ?

Sponsor

Re: Fatar TP/100LR vs TP/40L ? Is the first lighter to play

Postby NoDirection » 21 Apr 2023, 06:52

Hi - Welcome to the forum!

I have a Nord Stage 2 witch to my knowledge uses TP/40 and a Nord Electro 6 HP with TP100. And I definitely find the keybed on my Nord Stage with TP/40 lighter to play. And in my opinion a much better keybed.
Nord Stage 2 HA76, Nord Electro 6 HP, Yamaha Montage 6

The author NoDirection was thanked by:
troubadour
NoDirection
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Postby anotherscott » 21 Apr 2023, 13:37

troubadour wrote: I'm looking for a weighted keyboard that' is lighter to play than the pc3k8 (TP/40L , yet called 'light'

TP/40L feels lighter than TP/100... in fact, I think TP/40L is the lightest feeling hammer action keyboard on the market. If you want something lighter feeling, I think you'll need to go to a semi-weighted board. Check out the Kurzweil PC4-7.

ETA: Other semi-weighteds worth checking out would be Roland Fantom 7 (which I played only very briefly) and Korg Nautilus 73 (which I haven't played at all), and if you happen to find one, the 88-key Kronos LS, which was discontinued last year (which I also haven't played). That action is also in the new Korg Liano, but that's an entry keyboard not in the league of the other boards we're talking about. I mention it really for reference, if you can find that somewhere and like the feel of it, it might be worth looking for a used Kronos LS.
Last edited by anotherscott on 21 Apr 2023, 13:51, edited 1 time in total.

The author anotherscott was thanked by:
troubadour
anotherscott

Postby troubadour » 21 Apr 2023, 15:45

Thanks a lot for your help.
Although I think I'll still try the tp100lr, I'll probably have to eliminate it from my choices.
Indeed anotherscott, I had noticed the pc4-7 and the Kronos LS, but these models are difficult to find, only on order for the Kurzweil, without guarantee of availability (shortage of electronic components I was told), I was more interested in the Forte SE but it has the tp100lr. And no used Kronos LS near me.
The Fantom 7 has a synth type keyboard, I was able to try the Fantom 8 (PHA-4 keys), it is really heavier to play than the tp40l.
Yes I think I need a semi-weighted keyboard for my needs.
By the way and for fun, I teased chat-gpt (see attachment) ... completely drunk ...
Attachments
gpt.txt
(1.41 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
troubadour

Postby anotherscott » 21 Apr 2023, 17:24

troubadour wrote:The Fantom 7 has a synth type keyboard
It's a semi-weighted, and much better than the synth type keyboard that's in the Fantom 07.
Last edited by anotherscott on 21 Apr 2023, 17:24, edited 1 time in total.

The author anotherscott was thanked by:
troubadour
anotherscott

Postby troubadour » 23 Apr 2023, 12:51

troubadour

Postby anotherscott » 23 Apr 2023, 15:19

troubadour wrote:In addition https://www.reddit.com/r/piano/comments ... _in_grams/ (Roland makes light)

I agree that the first Roland model listed there feels light, but no current model uses that action.
anotherscott

Postby troubadour » 27 Apr 2023, 17:55

I could try the fatar tp100/lr on a Studiologic SL73 midi keyboard... my god, unplayable for me
I don't understand, I really wonder why brands put forward such keyboards
- historically, a hammer strikes a string, and the resistance of this necessary force is found in the keyboard, ok
- I think that manufacturers of mechanical pianos have always endeavored to reduce this resistance as much as possible, or even to eliminate it, it must have been seen as a disadvantage for them
- all the mechanical pianos I've tried are lighter than this keyboard, and some are much lighter
- what is the percentage of real pianists who are really looking for a touch heavier than the average? very little in my opinion, and what interest when playing ?
In fact I think it's just a matter of habit!
I therefore turn to a semi-weighted keyboard, i.e. depending solely on the force of a spring and the length of the key in relation to its axis of rotation
Like the wave 2 or the electro 6d for example
And I'll get used to it! :)
I like Kurzweil sounds, and I've already practiced the vast with my pc3k8, not very easy but you get used to it, maybe I'll take a pc4-7...
troubadour

Return to General Synthesizers/Keyboards Forum