OT: A Guide To Starting Your Own Local Band

Comments, suggestions, questions about this forum? Post it here! Also for test purposes or Off-Topic discussions.
cphollis
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

OT: A Guide To Starting Your Own Local Band

Post by cphollis »

Hello, Nord community!

About three years ago, I decided to quit my current band and start my own one. It was a very steep and deep learning experience. Now that I've done that, and it's all working quite well, I wanted to write up a guide sharing everything that I had learned in the process, aimed at someone who was either running their own band, or considering starting one.

At the time, I couldn't find anything like this in my searches, and definitely could have used it at the time.

Although it recounts my specific experiences and decisions, it also presents a framework for others to make their decisions in different circumstances.

I would appreciate anyone who would care to read it, and maybe offer up a few thoughts on its strong or weak points? It's a PDF with links to individual Google Docs.

Many thanks in advance!
Attachments
A Guide To Starting Your Own Local Band.pdf
(120.24 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
These users thanked the author cphollis for the post (total 5):
PScooter63, ajstan, Tracii, Berretje, Johannes
I think I have gear issues ....
Jeffmac
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Re: OT: A Guide To Starting Your Own Local Band

Post by Jeffmac »

Mr Hollis,

I am only 3 chapters in, but you appear to have done your normal high level work. You write well! Looks a lot like the start of a book to me.
Nord Stage 3 Compact, Roland Fantom 06, ASM Hydrasynth, Roland RD-2000, Radial Key Largo and various other crap

Tracii
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 3

Post by Tracii »

Nicely written indeed! Clear and comprehensive, with great examples and dry humour. :thumbup:
MarkJames
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave 2

Post by MarkJames »

This really spoke to me -

“It is also useful to share what I wasn’t looking for with my band:

I wasn’t looking to pay the bills. Lots of people are, and that’s understandable.
I wasn’t seeking recognition or adulation. I don’t need to be the center of attention, and I was looking for similar people.
I wasn’t looking for a way to relive my errant youth. Yes, we all had a blast when we were younger, but that was then and this is now.
I wasn’t looking for a friendly place to intoxicate myself. I don’t like playing with intoxicated musicians.
I wasn’t looking for a social club for bored retirees. Where I live, there are a lot of people looking to get out of the house.
I wasn’t interested in group therapy sessions. We all have issues we want to work on, but not here. Same for politics, religion, etc.
I wasn’t looking to recreate School of Rock for beginning musicians. We all want to get better at our craft, but I’ve been playing continuously since a young age, played in a bunch of different bands, informally studied music theory and history, etc. I don’t suck. If you’re a 4.5 at tennis, you want to play with similar players most of the time. Actually, it would be great to have a tennis-style rating system for musicians!”

I’m in the place where I’m thinking of joining or starting a band again (it’s like a 7 year itch for me and it’s been 10 years). I’ve tried to arrange reunions with a band I first played with over 30 years ago but it’s hard when I moved away and some of the guys aren’t really into it anymore.
Nord Piano 4
Nord Stage 3 Compact
Nord Wave 2
Sequential Prophet Rev 2
Mac Mini rack w/Gig Performer
Roland Integra-7
Yamaha Motif Rack XS
Behringer XR-18
MioXL
ajstan
Donator
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Post by ajstan »

This is very nice, Chuck. I've always enjoyed reading your well-written blog and your in-depth topical posts, and this guide appears to be a natural extension. I think the insights can be helpful at most any stage of a band, especially existing bands that want to take the next growth step or aren't progressing at the rate they are expecting.
NS3-88, NS3C, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs, Rolls PM55P Headphone Mixer, K&M 18880 Keyboard Stand with 18881 Second Tier, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII Monitors, Zoom Q2n-4K Gig Camera, Behringer XR18 Mixer
cphollis

Post by cphollis »

Thank you to all who took the time to read and comment. Given the positive feedback, I think I'll distribute this a little more widely.

I intend to keep updating and will be posting update on patreon.com/thelocalbandmechanic

Thanks everyone!
These users thanked the author cphollis for the post:
Berretje
cphollis

Post by cphollis »

Well, I'm back!!! Based on the great feedback here and elsewhere, I did a significant rewrite: new sections, rewrites in many places, and so on.

As before, I would welcome anyone who would have the time and interest to read it and provide their thoughts on its strengths and weaknesses.

Thanks again!
Attachments
A Guide To Starting Your Own Local Band v1.1.pdf
(9.73 MiB) Downloaded 86 times
These users thanked the author cphollis for the post (total 2):
Berretje, PScooter63
cphollis

Post by cphollis »

Scanning the various forums, I realized I could write a chapter on "Basic Acoustics For Band Leaders", sort of a survival kit.

Here is the link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EQv ... sp=sharing

As before, any commentary on strengths and weaknesses would be appreciated!
FZiegler
Donator

Post by FZiegler »

I still haven't reached the last chapter yet, but until now, it was fun to read. And quite inspiring - as external circumstances may vary a lot, it's a matter of getting to think for yourself.

(all chapters: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1G2z ... BG_3A/edit)

BTW, I like the decision for your band name. Sounds like a great finding: Matches well with music and audience, and probably with the band's motivation, too.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars