Organ stuff - wondering if this can be done

General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.
Cinemafixer
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Re: Organ stuff - wondering if this can be done

Post by Cinemafixer »

Thanks for the responses, guys. As far as the synth layer thing goes - got it. I'm working on making some samples today off of my B. I suppose I could also solve my percussion issue this way, too. As for the focus issues with the controller, I tried taking the keyboard off of dual keyboard mode and moving the MIDI channel of my controller to Organ slot 'B'. It works almost the same way, and I know why now. There is only one set of CC#'s for the drawbars and other controls on the organ engines. Therefore, when I make a change to drawbar #1 (CC#9), it acts on BOTH the slot currently in focus AND the slot assigned to the external controller, whereas at least when using dual keyboard function, it only acts on the slot currently in focus. It would be nice if Nord could expand the MIDI implementation to include separate CC#'s for organ slot A and organ slot B. That way, what I want to do would work... Unless I'm missing something else ;) very possible. I'm only on my second cup of coffee! ;) Thanks, guys!
Last edited by Cinemafixer on 31 Jul 2012, 12:31, edited 2 times in total.
Cinemafixer

Post by Cinemafixer »

to clarify one point - not using the dual KB mode and assigning the controller to slot B on a separate channel for organ DOES work as desired for separating Organ and piano voices between the manuals. Obviously it doesn't matter too much what the Slot A drawbars are doing if the organ for slot A is disabled ;) It won't work when set up as a dual manual organ, tho, as both slot A and B drawbars reflect any changes made to the Axiom's controllers.
Cinemafixer

Post by Cinemafixer »

And - Joecool - sorry, I missed your questions ;) The Axiom is OK. Its easily programmable and the velocity curves are good - the board has a pretty wide dynamic range for things like clav. I have patches set up so that I can have the organ on the lower manual for pads and stabs, and have the clav on the upper, with the exp pedal programmed for CC#11, set to control the Wah for slot B. VERY cool, and MUCH more like playing the real thing. The keyboard itself is a hair noisy, but no worse than a B with bad keycombs! I plan to shave off the 'lips' on the keys and polish them to make them true waterfall keys. I can't get comfortable with the buttons on the Nord for drawbars. Too much 'hunt and peck' when in the moment. The Axiom's faders work great for this, and while the spacing is a hair wide (it's hard to wrap your hand around all of them at once), I'm getting used to it. I also mapped the rest of the organ controls (percussion, vibrato, etc) to the buttons under the drawbars, and set up a few of the control knobs on the right for level controls (again, it would be GREAT if Nord provided separate slot-dependant CC#s!!!). I think it's really a great combination, and the Axiom is SUPER lightweight, which is nice. YMMV
Cinemafixer

Post by Cinemafixer »

Oh - the axiom's exp pedal input is the opposite polarity of the Nord's. I had to make a Tip>Ring swapping adapter for it to work with my FC-7s.
bdodds
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2

Post by bdodds »

Oh to revisit your percussion issue, I have to say that the Nord percussion is virtually indistinguishable from my A-100's, but obviously it's personal preference. Actually there's a difference in the Nord - there's no 60Hz hum. :)
Last edited by bdodds on 31 Jul 2012, 12:31, edited 2 times in total.
clavia ddrum4
nord lead rack 2
nord electro 73 (sold!)
nord stage classic 88 (sold!)
nord electro 3 73 (sold!)
nord stage 2 compact
Cinemafixer

Post by Cinemafixer »

Yeah - most people like their percussion a bit hotter than I do. If your A's have the percussion padding resistor in the AO-28 opened up (MANY do), then yes - I agree - it's pretty close...however, that is technically boosted from nominal. Why do your organs have 60 hz hum? Mine are pretty clean until I start yanking signals for fancy bass - routing or effects loops..
bdodds
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2

Post by bdodds »

i probably have some filter caps close to their expiration date, but realistically I have a *lot* of gain through an additional preamp, so every little imperfection is made a bit louder in the name of crunchy awesomeness.. the hum is slight, it's really not enough to warrant troubleshooting.
Last edited by bdodds on 31 Jul 2012, 12:31, edited 3 times in total.
clavia ddrum4
nord lead rack 2
nord electro 73 (sold!)
nord stage classic 88 (sold!)
nord electro 3 73 (sold!)
nord stage 2 compact
Frantz
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Post by Frantz »

iaorana wrote:
bdodds wrote:(..) and viola. (Not a string viola, rather the french term for "bob's your uncle")..
In fact, the french term is "voilà" - viola is a common mistake among English-speaking people ;)
I was trying to figure out what you meant by "bob's your uncle", thought Bob was a bad guy who violated something ... thx ionara for clarifying this !
Last edited by Frantz on 31 Jul 2012, 12:31, edited 3 times in total.
http://displaychord.arfntz.fr
A mobile app to display chord names while you play, using midi / bluetooth connection.
anotherscott

Post by anotherscott »

I've never seen anyone type viola when they mean voila. But I have seen people type things like wah-la!

EDIT: Since leaving this post, I've seen the "viola" typo multiple times as well!
Last edited by anotherscott on 31 Jul 2012, 12:31, edited 3 times in total.