All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.

How to Gain Stage Keyboard?

Postby wweiss » 18 Apr 2023, 18:02

When gain staging mixer/speaker where should the keyboard volume be? What I'm currently doing: Speaker at unity, mixer at unity, keyboard at 12:00
Is this correct?
wweiss

How to Gain Stage Keyboard?

Sponsor

Re: How to Gain Stage Keyboard?

Postby cgrafx » 19 Apr 2023, 00:15

- Keyboard at 12 or 1 O'Clock so you have some room to go up or down

- Speaker at Unity if the input gain matches the output gain from the mixer (+4 or -10). If they don't match, then you'll need to adjust the speaker gain as needed. This is of coarse just a basic generalization, and gets more complicated if your running bi-amp, try-amp or other multi amped speaker systems.

- Mixer channel gain at what ever is appropriate for the signal coming from the keyboard, that is what the channel gain is designed for. If you just blindly set it at unity, it will almost certainly be wrong (either to sensitive or not sensitive enough).
Last edited by cgrafx on 19 Apr 2023, 00:17, edited 5 times in total.
Current Gear: NS3C, Alesis QS6.1, QS7.1 & QS8.2, Hammond B3 with Leslie 122, Yamaha CP70, Yamaha C3 6' Grand, Roland D-05, Roland AX-Edge, Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard, Behringer Arp Odyssey
cgrafx

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby cphollis » 19 Apr 2023, 01:19

Depending on circumstances, you may find yourself wanting a powered DI or similar to boost gain before mixer. Nords do not have especially hot outputs.
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby Eriknie » 19 Apr 2023, 07:31

This is how I do it.
I use a Nord Stage 3 and Nord Wave 2.
The main volume of both are set at 3 o'clock.
Me reference is always the Nord Stage 3 with a piano set at -6dB.

Because the Organ and Synth section need some headroom, I always set the piano section to -6dB on the Nord Stage 3.
If you do not use a reference sound, I tend to keep increasing all sounds until they all are at 10.

Because I have consistent output, I never have issues with clipping. My keyboard mixer is set at unity, our main desk (Midas XR-18) is setup that all inputs are set that they are around -18dB.
NP5-73, NS3C
QSheets: The fastest sheet display tool in the world that plays Audio and send Program Changes: https://QSheets.eriknie.synology.me
FixLoop: Add Loop Points of Wav Files into the Nord Sample Editor: https://github.com/erik-nie/FixLoop-NSE

The author Eriknie was thanked by 2 members, including:
gsbe_comBerretje
Eriknie
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Return to Accessories and Amplification