Nord Drum is annoying to work with & have many questions

Everything about the new Nord Drum and the Nord Beat 2 App.
Naughty Nord 4P
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Drum 3P

Nord Drum is annoying to work with & have many questions

Post by Naughty Nord 4P »

Hey guys, I'm at a stand still here. a few questions regarding Nord Drum 3P

1. I plug my Nord drum 3P midi in (Nord 3p) to midi out (Scarlet 18i20) and midi out (Nord 3p) to midi in (Scarlet 18i20).

What is the proper routing for this to record audio AND MIDI!????? Ive gotten it to record the midi once before but absolutely no dice when it comes to playing the sounds back. Im getting frustrated. There is so much info for this piece of gear and Ableton live but no reaper.

My simple goal is to record my synth drum performances and be able to line up any items that may have been off beat etc.

2. When im able to get the Nord to record MIDI the piano roll hits are really far apart (vertically) that I have to scroll to find them all, its annoying.

3. I recently bought the Momo muller nord VST controller but I can not get this thing to literally control my entire Nord Drum 3P unit, im at my wits end. What settings do I need this on!?

The Nord Drum 3p has unfortunately been quite the pain in the ass to be honest. It is NOT user friendly and the fact you need to go into menus to change parameters is irritating. I wish they would have opted for knobs instead of buttons and menus!!

Plus I have sent my unit to Clavia 2 times for pad repairs because one of the pads would trigger the one next to it. one pad was fixed but it ended up happening to the pad next to it so I had to send it in again. Anyone else have any annoyances with this thing!? I feel like im the only one because I havent been able to read about the same issues im having. hahaha.
Last edited by Naughty Nord 4P on 02 Apr 2023, 10:30, edited 1 time in total.
wartaler
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Drum 2

Re: Nord Drum is annoying to work with & have many questions

Post by wartaler »

Hi Naughty Nord 4P, welcome to the forum!
Naughty Nord 4P wrote:1. I plug my Nord drum 3P midi in (Nord 3p) to midi out (Scarlet 18i20) and midi out (Nord 3p) to midi in (Scarlet 18i20).

What is the proper routing for this to record audio AND MIDI!?????
You connected it properly to record and play back MIDI. MIDI is digital information of the notes that are played; which notes, velocity, etc., no audio. If you want to record the audio, use audio cables to connect the L and R outputs of the 3p to audio inputs on your scarlet.
Naughty Nord 4P wrote:2. When im able to get the Nord to record MIDI the piano roll hits are really far apart (vertically) that I have to scroll to find them all, its annoying.
Check the MIDI notes for each drum channel in the MIDI menu, make sure that they are near each other; 60, 62, 64, 65, 67, 69. Or perhaps even 60, 61, 62, etc.
Naughty Nord 4P wrote:3. I recently bought the Momo muller nord VST controller but I can not get this thing to literally control my entire Nord Drum 3P unit, im at my wits end. What settings do I need this on!?
Check the MIDI menu, make sure CCs can be controlled by setting: CC.Sr or CC.r (r=receive)
Naughty Nord 4P wrote: I wish they would have opted for knobs instead of buttons and menus!!
I wouldn't call this a typical 'menu diving' synth though, I've seen worse, I also prefer one knob per function, but there are quite a lot of sound parameters per drum channel on the 3p. It's quite efficiently laid out, I bet you'll get the hang of it soon

Cheers,
Albert
Last edited by wartaler on 03 Apr 2023, 21:05, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author wartaler for the post:
Naughty Nord 4P
Nord Drum 2, Drum (1), Lead 4, Lead 2x, Stage 'Classic', Micro Modular
Naughty Nord 4P
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Drum 3P

Re: Nord Drum is annoying to work with & have many questions

Post by Naughty Nord 4P »

wartaler wrote:Hi Naughty Nord 4P, welcome to the forum!

I got everything audio and MIDI wise working today, Thankfully!!!
Naughty Nord 4P wrote:2. When im able to get the Nord to record MIDI the piano roll hits are really far apart (vertically) that I have to scroll to find them all, its annoying.
Check the MIDI notes for each drum channel in the MIDI menu, make sure that they are near each other; 60, 62, 64, 65, 67, 69. Or perhaps even 60, 61, 62, etc.

Wow, Ill do this ASAP! I was messing with it today but wasnt sure if thats what it was for.

Naughty Nord 4P wrote: I wish they would have opted for knobs instead of buttons and menus!!
I wouldn't call this a typical 'menu diving' synth though, I've seen worse, I also prefer one knob per function, but there are quite a lot of sound parameters per drum channel on the 3p. It's quite efficiently laid out, I bet you'll get the hang of it soon

Yeah, its not too bad but still I would rather have the knobs haha. But since ive bought the VST and stand alone version I got it all working today so now I can control via Laptop too so it makes it simple. I might even invest in a Controller.

Cheers,
Albert
These users thanked the author Naughty Nord 4P for the post:
wartaler