General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Re: Using NORD STAGE 4 with external midi keyboard

Postby Satomy » 29 Mar 2023, 15:25

Schorsch wrote:Thank you - but writing this in english would be nice (Grazie - ma scriverlo in inglese sarebbe bello)

you are right, sorry
Satomy

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Sponsor

Postby SuperStage » 31 Mar 2023, 09:15

Check out the Anderton's demo of the Aux Keyboard functionality which he talks about all the different ways you could connect to multiple external midi keyboard. https://youtu.be/-olO1CEEjtY at around the 24 minute mark.
SuperStage

Vancouver, Canada
Nord Stage 4 Compact, Nord Stage 3 Compact, Nord Electro 5D, Yamaha P-70, 1959 Hammond B3, 1965 Leslie 122A
SuperStage

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Re: Utilizzo di NORD STAGE 4 con tastiera midi esterna

Postby giotast » 31 Mar 2023, 21:22

Hi everyone, can anyone tell me if it is possible to turn on and off the various sections, organ....piano...synth with an external midi controller because I checked the manual and there is no CC to do this
Thank you
giotast

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Postby improkeys » 31 Mar 2023, 21:28

What I discovered: using only the AuxKB function, I am able to play any layer/section with an external KB. But the NS 4 does not respond to Modwheel, Pichtbend or Aftertouch. I sent a message to Clavia. I think the midi implementation is not complete.
improkeys

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby taxman » 01 Apr 2023, 01:58

Do you mean the wheels and stick of the Stage or those of the midikeyboard? The only controllers which should work are those of the midikeyboard (for the external choice ). Like the dual kbmode on the stage3.
Last edited by taxman on 01 Apr 2023, 02:00, edited 1 time in total.
taxman

Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby Satomy » 01 Apr 2023, 07:59

I have news about my case. By doing other tests, I was able to verify that if I use organ B, it is possible to control and receive from the external midi keyboard all the various controls of the drawbars, on/off vib/chorus, on/off percussion, rotary fast/slow, drive, etc. ... If instead I use organ A, I can control only fast/slow rotary and only 1 drawbar. In both cases the problem remains of the volume control which acts simultaneously in A and B. Nothing to do instead for the synth section, I still don't receive the midi controls assigned: filter freq, resonance, etc... and the usual problem of the volume control that acts in all three layers of the synth section instead of acting independently. Finally, still speaking of the use of the various aux kb with an external midi keyboard, I confirm the fact that it does not receive the picth bend, modwheel and aftertouch controls. This is definitely a bug that I have already reported to Nord
Satomy

Postby FZiegler » 01 Apr 2023, 11:54

The first issue sounds like Nord reused code from the NS3: There, only panel B was prepared for DualKB (which is similar to Ext KB).
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
FZiegler
Donator

Postby improkeys » 01 Apr 2023, 12:19

taxman wrote:Do you mean the wheels and stick of the Stage or those of the midikeyboard? The only controllers which should work are those of the midikeyboard (for the external choice ). Like the dual kbmode on the stage3.

Hey taxman, thanks! In fact it still responses to the NS4 wheels even when on AuxKB mode (when pitchstick is enabled), but it doesn’t respond to the wheels etc on the external KB.

On my Stage 2 it behaves as you described and how I would expect it to.
improkeys

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby Swampfox » 02 Apr 2023, 01:07

Satomy wrote: and the usual problem of the volume control that acts in all three layers of the synth section instead of acting independently.

Out of curiosity, have you tried assigning a separate midi channel to each layer, including AuxKB, and then trying to issue whatever midi commands you want to send? I really wish Clavia would write a technical white paper for their more complicated boards, it would make it way easier to understand why they behave the way they do or when there is a bug if you knew what the engineers where thinking when they were designing the thing.
Swampfox
Donator

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Postby Satomy » 02 Apr 2023, 02:46

Swampfox wrote:
Satomy wrote: and the usual problem of the volume control that acts in all three layers of the synth section instead of acting independently.

Out of curiosity, have you tried assigning a separate midi channel to each layer, including AuxKB, and then trying to issue whatever midi commands you want to send? I really wish Clavia would write a technical white paper for their more complicated boards, it would make it way easier to understand why they behave the way they do or when there is a bug if you knew what the engineers where thinking when they were designing the thing.

Yes I have already tried this too, from the tests done, I can only receive the various midi controls if I use midi global, but obviously I don't need this....... it is certainly a bug or a midi system still incomplete and which will probably be completed or fixed in the next updates. I await news from the Nord
Satomy

PreviousNext

Return to Nord Stage Forum