Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Electro 6 : wrong piano category

Postby ElectroStrat » 23 Mar 2023, 16:24

Hi,
It's not a big deal but still an annoying thing.
I use the Marimba and Vibraphone piano
sounds and they are put incorrectly in the category "Layers".
This doesn't make sense as they are not digital layered sounds. They should belong to a Misc category as in the Piano 5, the Stage 3 or the Grand keyboards and also as in the Nord Piano library.
I've reported this issue via the Support form a few weeks ago without receiving any feedback.
I've just submitted again a Support form with UK as my country this time.
Hopefully, I will receive some feedback.
ElectroStrat

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Electro 6 : wrong piano category

Sponsor

Re: Electro 6 : wrong piano category

Postby maxpiano » 23 Mar 2023, 16:48

As this is minor (not a blocking) problem, if I were you I would not expect a fast response (neither from French or UK distributor :-D) ... you can live with it, can't you?
Last edited by maxpiano on 23 Mar 2023, 17:06, edited 2 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby FZiegler » 23 Mar 2023, 18:50

The categories are pre-defined within the OS. So which categories exist, depends on the OS version you have. The category vibraphone and marimba were sitting in had already been changed once. I don't remember which it was originally and which is the newer one.

Anyhow, that change already had some annoying side effects: older backups wouldn't work any more with a newer OS (see post151902.html). So if you have the newest OS and the newest marimba 'piano' sample, everything should work well. And I don't think Clavia would change that another time.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
FZiegler
Donator

Postby ElectroStrat » 23 Mar 2023, 21:36

maxpiano wrote:you can live with it, can't you?

The Stage 3, Grand and Piano 5 boards have a fixed number of categories visible on the panel and selectable via a dedicated button.
The Electro 6 doesn't have such a fixed number of categories on the panel.
Oddly, it has a Layers category but no Misc Category ...
But sure, that's not a big deal.
ElectroStrat

Postby ElectroStrat » 23 Mar 2023, 21:49

FZiegler wrote:The categories are pre-defined within the OS. So which categories exist, depends on the OS version you have. The category vibraphone and marimba were sitting in had already been changed once. I don't remember which it was originally and which is the newer one.

Anyhow, that change already had some annoying side effects: older backups wouldn't work any more with a newer OS (see post151902.html).

Well understood. If the number of categories is fixed somehow and considering the side effect, a simple fix would be to rename the Layers category to Misc. That makes more sense if the digital piano layers and the marimba and vibraphone are within a Misc category than having the marimba and vibraphone within the Layers category. It's better to use a general term than an incorrect one.
ElectroStrat

Postby FZiegler » 23 Mar 2023, 23:01

What I wanted to say is that I think that not only the number of categories is fixed within the OS but also the names - and if Nord changes the category name displayed the name stored will change as well. Leading to issues for existing backup bundles. If it's like that, I'd understand why they didn't change the category name for that 'rest' within years.

Why is the misleading category name such an issue for you after having your NE6 for 3 years?

There are more open questions on other products as well (NS3, NW2 at least).
Last edited by FZiegler on 24 Mar 2023, 00:20, edited 2 times in total.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
FZiegler
Donator

Postby ElectroStrat » 24 Mar 2023, 08:05

Well, the Marimba and Vibraphone are not part of the E6 factory sounds.
I tried them a few months after I got my E6 (it was indeed 3 years ago !).
But I removed them and some other piano sounds to make room for the White Grand.
With the updated and much smaller size White Grand XL (but not yet published as you know the story), I've been able to reinstall them recently and I enjoy them.
As indicated in my initial post, I just find this issue annoying but it's not a big deal.
ElectroStrat

Postby ElectroStrat » 31 Mar 2023, 00:55

That's really weird.
I've updated my E6 to the latest OS v2.64.
Today, I've removed the Vibraphone sound to make room and try a piano sound.
Then I've downloaded again the Vibraphone on the E6 (with the latest NSM v7.70) and it has been put in ... the Digital category !
I've tried with the previous NSM v7.66 with the same result.
So it's related with the new OS and NORD has again changed the piano category for the Marimba and Vibraphone but it's still the wrong category...

The author ElectroStrat was thanked by:
FZiegler
ElectroStrat

Postby ElectroStrat » 01 Apr 2023, 11:06

Another day, another surprise.
I've just played the Marimba piano today and it is placed in the Layer category !!
I've figured out the whole story.
When you download the Marimba or the Vibraphone sound via the NSM (V7.70 or v7.66), it is placed in the Digital category in the Electro 6. Closing and relaunching the NSM does not change anything.
But as soon as you switch the Electro off and then on, the two piano sounds are put in the Layer category.
It's so weird ...
ElectroStrat

Return to Nord Electro Forum