General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Re: Nord Stage 3 reverbs

Postby fREDkeys » 01 Nov 2017, 07:08

Wow. I didn't even know about the Meris stuff. Thanks for mentioning it. Any thoughts on the Empress Reverb? Any other reverb options that haven't been mentioned on this thread that I should know about?
Nord Electro 2 61
Nord Stage 3 Compact

Ventilator II
Spacestation v.3
fREDkeys

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Sponsor

Postby Quai34 » 01 Nov 2017, 08:44

I heard about the new Empress Reverb but didn't go any further as I had spent enough on the H9, going from the H9 standard to the Max (lucky enough to use their promo last year when you had to buy only half of the algorithms to upgrade to the Max) but I have the tape delay and the nebulous on my bass Pedalboard and they are awesome....Plus their buffer on my guitar and bass pedalboard as well....
Last edited by Quai34 on 01 Nov 2017, 08:45, edited 1 time in total.
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.
Quai34

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby NS3guy » 01 Nov 2017, 18:00

Empress looks and sounds like high quality gear. They also have lots of knobs :-)
NS3guy

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby Lumserei » 15 Mar 2023, 19:57

Primarily I use 2 EQ2 on the 2 output pairs of my NS3, but also have the Ventris especially for very large rooms and Shimmer, plays extremely well together. The special thing about the SourceAudio devices is the possibility synchronized with the Song Mode for each place in the NS3 Song Mode to call the appropriate preset on all SA devices via Midi directly assigned. I also love their editability via USB and their presets can have the same names as the NS3.
Lumserei

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 4

Postby Macsaint777 » 15 Mar 2023, 20:09

You know.. the Cathedral Bright in the Stage 4, and Piano 5, are darn close to a Big Sky Shimmer.
Last edited by Macsaint777 on 15 Mar 2023, 20:09, edited 1 time in total.
Macsaint777

Postby EricBarker » 15 Mar 2023, 21:42

I figure that some Ping-Pong delay and large Hall reverb will get you most of the way there for most applications. But yeah, for specialty applications, you can use outboard effects.

IMO, part of the Nord experience is being able to produce a good live show without too much complexity. It's not going to be an "album exact" experience though. I used to come from MainStage where I could transport everything 1-to-1 from a recording to the stage. But I started to question whether that was really a good thing. Room acoustics are really hard on wet effects, and too much complexity can negatively impact the live sound and overall live experience. I kind of appreciate the bread & butter "back to basics" approach that the Nord gives me. Let the live energy and visual engagement provide the last 5%. That said, I LOVE a good shimmer reverb. One of my go-to pads was to take an AP, run it 100% wet through something like Valhalla or GuitarRig-PsycheDelay (one of my very favs), and just "twinkle" until it builds up a wonderful shimmer.
Last edited by EricBarker on 15 Mar 2023, 21:42, edited 1 time in total.
EricBarker

Postby Macsaint777 » 15 Mar 2023, 21:44

EricBarker wrote:I figure that some Ping-Pong delay and large Hall reverb will get you most of the way there for most applications. But yeah, for specialty applications, you can use outboard effects.

IMO, part of the Nord experience is being able to produce a good live show without too much complexity. It's not going to be an "album exact" experience though. I used to come from MainStage where I could transport everything 1-to-1 from a recording to the stage. But I started to question whether that was really a good thing. Room acoustics are really hard on wet effects, and too much complexity can negatively impact the live sound and overall live experience. I kind of appreciate the bread & butter "back to basics" approach that the Nord gives me. Let the live energy and visual engagement provide the last 5%. That said, I LOVE a good shimmer reverb. One of my go-to pads was to take an AP, run it 100% wet through something like Valhalla or GuitarRig-PsycheDelay (one of my very favs), and just "twinkle" until it builds up a wonderful shimmer.

I might be wrong... but we both sound like church musicians. MS is awesome, but I can't get away from the Nord as the better all in one, and best for the room (as you put it so well).
Macsaint777

Postby EricBarker » 15 Mar 2023, 23:00

Sorry, not a praise musician. In fact, it strikes me that depending on the acoustics, church music might be the one place where complex effects might actually work. A fair amount of churches actually put thought/money into decent acoustics and stage treatment, and as a praise band, you can really get to know the room over a long period of time. But I'm just guessing, because I've never done it myself. No, I'm a band-y, which I think is worse because you just never know what you're going to get from venue to venue. Even when I played in a bar house band for many years, I still never got to know the FoH acoustics well enough to feel confident about going super wet. I think you have to be in a unique situation where the room is well treated, and you play there enough to know what it can take. The FoH sound engineer can make those sort of calls, but as a musician on stage, I'm just not going to try, and I feel like I'd be stepping on their toes. That goes for big touring acts just as much, since many large arenas and show halls have poor acoustics and are unpredictable. Delay is fine, Springs are generally not too bad, but it's usually a good practice to keep high-diffusion timing effects to a minimum, and generally dial down to about half of what you would do in the studio.

Mainstage... MainStage is fantastic. It can sound as good as a Nord or better, it can do ANYTHING. But that's the problem, it's an unbridled sandbox with no healthy limitations. You're playing with instruments that are built to sound gorgeous in the box, and they can sound gorgeous in hall too, but you have to be careful. It's just far too easy to turn on all these wondrous effects that sound amazing in your home studio, dial them all in to perfection... and they sound like mud in a hall. Not saying that you can't make the same mistakes with Nord, but at least you've got a single knob that will turn that mud down. Worst case scenario, the offending reverb is buried on PanelB, but it's infinitely easier than diving through VSTs on the fly to hunt down the offender!
Last edited by EricBarker on 15 Mar 2023, 23:04, edited 3 times in total.
EricBarker

Postby Swampfox » 16 Mar 2023, 01:22

fREDkeys wrote: Any other reverb options that haven't been mentioned on this thread that I should know about?

I have a AXE-FX for my guitar. Admittedly it's designed for guitar and it's expensive, but there is essentially no FX that it can't do. You want shimmer, it will do it. You want reverb, it's got multiple. Want crunch, pick an amp and a setting; it will do it. Cab simulation, no problem. Essentially it replaces an entire pedal board and you can control it via peddle board or midi. It's weakness for keyboard is that it's Leslie simulation isn't as robust as it could be.
Swampfox
Donator

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Previous

Return to Nord Stage Forum