Tube Amp Organ Drive - any experience?

All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.
Hlaalu

Re: Tube Amp Organ Drive - any experience?

Post by Hlaalu »

anotherscott wrote:Heck, the number of people who actually want to bother creating a parallel non-rotating signal for reverb is probably miniscule anyway.)
I am picking up this old good post from anotherscott to comment on this last point. I have been experimenting again with this, after an initial try a couple of years ago (I subsequently abandoned that idea later). I am sure our fellow user Schorsch either does this now or has done it in the past too, so he might have something to add here as well.

After a bit of experimentation I have found the following:

1. I prefer a bit of reverb feeded into the Vent even when creating a parallel, non-Leslied signal, which takes the majority of the reverb anyway.

2. Rather than a parallel non-Leslied signal, I find I prefer a non-rotary, but still Leslie amp/speaker-simulated signal, with rotors on stop.

In terms of implementation on the NS3, what I do is the following:

Signal 1 (non-rotary): Panel A organ engine on outputs 1-2 --> Stage 1 type reverb, fair amount --> Leslie sim active on stop (trying to stop it with the horns centered...).

Signal 2 (Vent): Panel B organ engine on output 3 (Leslie sim OFF) --> Room 2 type reverb, small amount --> Vent.

Then everything goes into the Key Largo and I mix the channels prioritising the Vented signal. No further reverb added after the outs of the Largo. I also have a Hall of Fame that I could further add / substitute, but it's already sophisticated enough. As for the drive, I like the Vent drive better, but I like the overdrive to be on the stationary channel. Since I don't have two Vents, I mainly use the drive from the Panel A rotary sim (on stop).

All in all I like this configuration. The problem is that it isn't very dynamic, because since there's no way to "link" panel A and B, any drawbar adjustment has to be done to both separatedly. Of course, one could see it as an advantage too, in that you can have different registrations for the two different signals...

Schorsch, are you still experimenting with this configuration in the recent times?
Schorsch
Donator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Post by Schorsch »

Hey Hlaalu,

interesting findings!

I did not continue to experiment with my previously explained setup since it works perfect for my first band, but have actually set-up a second configuration for a new rock band I joined about 6 months ago. The band mates like to have a more agressive/gritty Hammond sound, and I wanted to have a sound with more body possible. I therefore build a new pedalboard with two Blackstar Dept. 10 Tube devices and the Lounsberry Organ Grinder to achieve different levels and sounds of distortion on demand. I am still feeding the organ signal in from output 3.

The current signal path of this new board is like this:

NS3 Output 3 -> Radial Reamp -> Blackstar Dept.10 Dual Drive -> Lounsberry Organ Grinder (on demand) -> Blackstar Dept. 10 Boost (on demand) -> Neo Ventilator II -> stereo into Hall of Fame 2 (spring reverb) -> stereo into channel 2 of my Rolls sub mixer -> PA

The non-organ sounds of my NS3 go from Output 1-2 direct into Channel 1 of the Rolls mixer.

Here is a picture of that board which also has a control pedal (left) and an organ swell pedal (right) placed on it:
Board 2.jpg
Board 2.jpg (1.81 MiB) Viewed 448 times
Edit: we had our first gig two weeks ago and the audience was blown away from the Hammond sound of the Nord - the Blackstars add a lot to it
Last edited by Schorsch on 06 Mar 2023, 17:33, edited 4 times in total.
Regards Schorsch

Want to convert programs between NS2 and NS3?
Check this awesome website to visually view NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Gear: NS3C, NS3 88, KeyLargo, Vent II ..
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Post by maxpiano »

Hlaalu wrote:The problem is that it isn't very dynamic, because since there's no way to "link" panel A and B, any drawbar adjustment has to be done to both separatedly. Of course, one could see it as an advantage too, in that you can have different registrations for the two different signals...
Maybe there could be a way, playing with Extern A section Soft Thru and a loopback of MIDI IN/OUT on the NS itself, to redirect the MIDI CCs of Panel A drawbars from Global Channel to Panel B MIDI Channel (set on Extern A) ... just a rough idea, not sure it would work but easy to test... otherwise an external MIDI routing app would solve it very easily.

@Schorsch: :wtf: :mrgreen: :thumbup:
Last edited by maxpiano on 06 Mar 2023, 14:49, edited 4 times in total.
Hlaalu

Post by Hlaalu »

maxpiano wrote: Maybe there could be a way, playing with Extern A section Soft Thru and a loopback of MIDI IN/OUT on the NS itself, to redirect the MIDI CCs of Panel A drawbars from Global Channel to Panel B MIDI Channel (set on Extern A) ... just a rough idea, not sure it would work but easy to test... otherwise an external MIDI routing app would solve it very easily.
That seems feasible, but it would require a substantial revision of my setup in terms of MIDI management. I don't use Global channel MIDI for example, and have all the MIDI ports already in use (so I'd need a MIDI hub for that)... So it's certainly feasible but not practical in my case.

For now, I am creating a bunch of programs with mirrored drawbar settings on both panels and with this kind of routing. So I am only using this configuration with prepared programs, without real time drawbars manipulation.

Schorsch, your pedalboard looks like a nuclear power plant! :lol: How don't you get lost in all the trillion variables that you have at hand!? By the way I notice you have opted for reverb after the Leslie...
Last edited by Hlaalu on 07 Mar 2023, 13:09, edited 3 times in total.
Schorsch
Donator
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Post by Schorsch »

Hlaalu wrote: Schorsch, your pedalboard looks like a nuclear power plant! :lol: How don't you get lost in all the trillion variables that you have at hand!?
:lol: It’s just a matter of getting used to it, I typically use either turbulent or right button of the Blackstar Dual Drive and just on some songs the Organ Grinder in addition to one of them. The Boost is on to warm up the signal before it goes into the Vent, especially when the Organ Grinder is engaged since the output from there has a quite sharp, bright tone

Hlaalu wrote:By the way I notice you have opted for reverb after the Leslie...
Yes, sounds better to me than having the reverb before the Vent. It’s also more logical to me to have the Leslie in the room, not the room in the Leslie ;)

As you may remember I have a reverb before the Vent and one behind it on my other board, which is nice in some songs but does not really make a big difference
Last edited by Schorsch on 07 Mar 2023, 13:36, edited 1 time in total.
Regards Schorsch

Want to convert programs between NS2 and NS3?
Check this awesome website to visually view NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Gear: NS3C, NS3 88, KeyLargo, Vent II ..