This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

MIDI keyboard for travel

Postby Jazzclimber » 28 Feb 2023, 14:02

Hello Helpful Forum People! I asked your opinion about a portable travel/practice keyboard as a substitute for my NS3 when I am away from it, and got great leads - thank you! Having done some research while searching for a compromise between keybed quality and portability (49 keys is MAX for me), I am thinking maybe komplete kontrol S49 is good for my purposes.

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... l-s49-s61/

It’s relatively small and light and half-weighted keys get good reviews .
My new questions are:
1. Is it a potentially good supplement to my NS3 - access to more sounds, more capabilities? 2. How much hassle is it to learn what a complete MIDI/DAW-ignorant person (myself) needs to learn to use such a MIDI keyboard with my iPad and earphones? Can I play just using an iPad/earphones with it, or do I have to have a laptop (plus earphones of course) to get it to play?
Thank you SO much in advance!
Jazzclimber

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

MIDI keyboard for travel

Sponsor

Re: MIDI keyboard for travel

Postby FZiegler » 28 Feb 2023, 14:12

I wouldn't buy a NI KK S49 for MIDI use. It is not a MIDI masterkeyboard. It's a controller keyboard for your computer.

I only have a S61 (mkII). I don't like the keys very much - they are okeeeey. But as long as it isn't plugged to a computer it is dumb as bread: Always MIDI ch1, no settings, no splits, no knobs functioning as anything - not very useful as a supplement to your NS3. The whole keyboard only works with a DAW or NI Komplete. Or very basic functions (keys) w/out computer.
Last edited by FZiegler on 28 Feb 2023, 14:13, edited 2 times in total.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars

The author FZiegler was thanked by:
Jazzclimber
FZiegler
Donator

Postby Jazzclimber » 28 Feb 2023, 15:20

Thank you so much, you always give me good advice! Do you know if KK S49 functions with iPAD, or do I have to have a laptop? I don’t have to have an extensive library of sounds/effects. +/- Decent piano sound is enough (with earphones), at least for travel. and to start with. Also, in your opinion, - is there a 49-key keyboard with better keys? Thank you!
Jazzclimber

Postby FZiegler » 28 Feb 2023, 15:37

Sorry, I have no idea if the NI KK S49 works with an iPad. If you want to be able to use the knobs and advanced MIDI features, you would need to be able to use a factory app - no idea if that exists. And no idea if the keyboard is USB-MIDI class compliant so you wouldn't need a driver to connect it at all.

And no, I have no clue what 49-notes keyboard you could use. If ever you find one usable for piano playing, let me know! I'm looking around for years.

The one I sometimes use for travelling is a Yamaha reface CP with a full sustain pedal and its soft case. But the 3 octaves are a bit short, and the keys are a bit small.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars

The author FZiegler was thanked by:
Jazzclimber
FZiegler
Donator

Postby Tasten-Bert » 28 Feb 2023, 15:48

Jazzclimber wrote:Thank you so much, you always give me good advice! Do you know if KK S49 functions with iPAD, or do I have to have a laptop? I don’t have to have an extensive library of sounds/effects. +/- Decent piano sound is enough (with earphones), at least for travel. and to start with. Also, in your opinion, - is there a 49-key keyboard with better keys? Thank you!

If the NI website‘s foto of the reverse is valid for the 49 keys version as well, then it would easily work with apps on an iPad. You need the Lightning to USB adaptor and would then even have the choice of using USB port with a printer cable or the MIDI sockets with the right cable. I have one „USB to 2 MIDI“ which could be used as MIDI in and MIDI out or as two MIDI ins at two different keyboards. Very comfortable.

Cheers from sunny Germany

Edit: https://www.esi-audio.com/products/midimateex/
Last edited by Tasten-Bert on 28 Feb 2023, 15:52, edited 1 time in total.
| nord electro 5D 61 and korg X50 on k&m 18880 or 18950 stand | iPad mini 5 with Set List Maker | phonic AM120 submixer |

... and I loved these of my former stuff: nord electro 3, Roland VR-760, Fatar Studio 1100, korg 01/W, Roland U-20

The author Tasten-Bert was thanked by:
Jazzclimber
Tasten-Bert
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby vojtech-h » 28 Feb 2023, 19:32

Hello!

Allow me a personal opinion: 49 keys for piano work seems insufficient to me. I alternated my home NS2 with a yamaha PSRxxx 61 key on the road and it also missed some tones.

And mainly the yamaha had a smaller key spacing and the transition back to the NS2 standard was unpleasant. Check whether your chosen keyboard will have a standard key spacing.

Vojtech
vojtech-h

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord C2D

Return to General Nord Forum