Discuss other brands keyboards, synthesizers, modules, software, controllers including how they compare or work with the Nords.

Small but Super

Postby Jazzclimber » 09 Feb 2023, 11:43

Hi You All! A newbie here, with a relatively frivolous question :-)

I got my NS 3 three years ago and I am making a slow but steady progress with my NS3/piano skills - the forums here were tremendously helpful along the way.

I don’t travel too much, but when I do, I would love to continue practicing (without being too obsessive about it :-).

What is the best option for a light and small keyboard/synth that has the best size to quality ratio in your opinion? I’d play with earphones of course, strictly for my own enjoyment

I do travel quite light (usually in Europe, often by train/bus).

Any and all suggestions/advice much appreciated in advance! Cheers!
Jazzclimber

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Small but Super

Sponsor

Re: Small but Super

Postby Spider » 09 Feb 2023, 12:01

For a portable travel keyboard, very often cheap=better.
I'd go with a Yamaha MX-49, or maybe a Roland Go-Piano or Casio CT-S1.
61 keys is probably at the very limit of train/bus portability, supposing you'll also have a backpack or other luggage

The author Spider was thanked by:
Jazzclimber
Spider

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby maxpiano » 09 Feb 2023, 12:46

I'd suggest a master keyboard (probably max 49 keys, for portability) paired with some apps on an iPhone or iPad (if you already have either of the two of course) like Rav275 for piano, VB3m for Hammond, V-Tines or Neosoul Keys or GSi Genuine Sounds Vol1 for Rhodes etc.. (or a combo like the free Numa Player, Korg Module... ), best if the master is low-power and has USB audio capabilities too, like the iRig Keys I/O 49
Last edited by maxpiano on 09 Feb 2023, 15:42, edited 4 times in total.

The author maxpiano was thanked by:
Jazzclimber
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby Tasten-Bert » 09 Feb 2023, 15:29

Hi,

if a keyboard that can give you independence from power supply and PA is your main focus I‘d follow the Casio CT-S1 road - I love mine. Battery powered, speakers on board.

general-synthesizers-keyboards-forum-f6/keyboard-for-rv-travel-practice-t21881.html#p149755

If you already own an iPad I‘d give the colossus piano or garage band apps plus a lightweight 49 or better 61 keys board at least a try.

Cheers from sunny Germany
| nord electro 5D 61 and korg X50 on k&m 18880 or 18950 stand | iPad mini 5 with Set List Maker | phonic AM120 submixer |

... and I loved these of my former stuff: nord electro 3, Roland VR-760, Fatar Studio 1100, korg 01/W, Roland U-20

The author Tasten-Bert was thanked by:
Jazzclimber
Tasten-Bert
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby anotherscott » 10 Feb 2023, 21:17

Casio CT-S500 has the same sounds and action as CT-S1, but adds a lot more sounds and versatility... enough so that it could do "double duty" as a board to pair with your NS3 and give you improvements in some other instruments, like brass. The MX49 mentioned could also do this, but for travel, the Casio adds the benefits of battery operation and built-in speakers... and for piano practice away from home, I think the Casio's action is better. It's cheaper, besides. (The Yamaha has some other advantages over the Casio, though, especially when paired with the available editor.)

The author anotherscott was thanked by:
Jazzclimber
anotherscott

Return to General Synthesizers/Keyboards Forum