Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Electro with K-Board pro 4 or external synth controller

Postby leonzak » 20 Jan 2023, 06:22

Hi - Has anyone tried using a K-Board Pro 4 to control the synth in a 5 or 6d so you can use the pitch bend, aftertouch and other options?
thanks,
leon ...
leonzak

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 5

Electro with K-Board pro 4 or external synth controller

Sponsor

Re: Electro with K-Board pro 4 or external synth controller

Postby FZiegler » 20 Jan 2023, 07:11

The Electro doesn't have a real synth, just a sample player 'synth section'. So I think, there's little use for a K-Board pro 4.

The only thing an Electro 6 responds to is pitch bend on the 'extkbtolow' part. Won't work with the internal part. There's no mod wheel or aftertouch support, either. (nord-electro-forum-f9/use-of-external-midi-pitchbend-controller-t22752.html)

I don't know anything about pitch bend on the Electro 5, though. You may verify with the manual's MIDI table and the update history of the OS.

You may be able to map some controller MIDI data to an existing effect on the Electro. Cf. to the MIDI CC table of your Electro.
Last edited by FZiegler on 20 Jan 2023, 07:13, edited 1 time in total.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
FZiegler
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby leonzak » 20 Jan 2023, 17:04

I know it's not a real synth but I was thinking along the lines of the videos by "My Keys To Music" - https://youtu.be/YRYJf2J4fO4 and https://youtu.be/cQD6X1kVDr8. He uses an external keyboard in one and the Touche in the other to get pitch bend.

I'm thinking the K-board would be like having an individual Touche on each key.

Just ran across the videos and an ad for the K-board and thought I'd ask. It can be very hard to find a store that has some of the products available to demo.
Last edited by leonzak on 20 Jan 2023, 18:30, edited 1 time in total.
leonzak

Postby maxpiano » 20 Jan 2023, 18:38

leonzak wrote:I know it's not a real synth but I was thinking along the lines of the videos by "My Keys To Music" - https://youtu.be/YRYJf2J4fO4 and https://youtu.be/cQD6X1kVDr8. He uses an external keyboard in one and the Touche in the other to get pitch bend.

Just ran across the videos and an ad for the K-board and thought I'd ask. It can be very hard to find a store that has some of the products available to demo.

Using a K-board pro 4 on NE5/6 would be a waste imo, NE (but most keyboards) cannot handle MPE MIDI i.e. per key controls such as PitchBend or other, it would work for single note playing or as global PB but not more; that type of controllers in general is best used with MPE capable instruments (virtual or HW)
Last edited by maxpiano on 21 Jan 2023, 21:45, edited 3 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby anotherscott » 21 Jan 2023, 21:11

leonzak wrote:I know it's not a real synth but I was thinking along the lines of the videos by "My Keys To Music" - https://youtu.be/YRYJf2J4fO4 and https://youtu.be/cQD6X1kVDr8. He uses an external keyboard in one and the Touche in the other to get pitch bend.

As FZiegler said about the pitch bend, "The only thing an Electro 6 responds to is pitch bend on the 'extkbtolow' part." It cannot respond to pitch bend on a note-by-note basis, nor on its upper part sound, nor does it respond to modulation/aftertouch (either by part or by note)... it basically can't respond to anything you would want to attach a kboard for.
anotherscott

Postby leonzak » 06 Feb 2023, 09:08

Well I got a K-Board and connected to my Electro 6d. It worked fine as a regular external midi controller and I could take advantage of some of the other features. I could set up K-Board key movements to do the same things possible with a control pedal - for example - control the wah effect with key movement.

I didn't have the board long enough to do a lot with it but using the software that came with it you can map CC to the different keyboard movements and then simulate the control pedal inputs to pretty much anything that responded to a control pedal.

Being able to control the wah with finger movements was pretty interesting - using the synth guitar sounds with it especially interesting.
Last edited by leonzak on 06 Feb 2023, 09:09, edited 1 time in total.

The author leonzak was thanked by:
FZiegler
leonzak

Return to Nord Electro Forum