General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Nord Stage 3 -- extending range w/ an external midi keyboard

Postby Gabocrates7 » 26 Jan 2023, 05:45

Hi Nord User Forum,

This might be a pretty niche problem I'm trying to solve for, but I have a stage 3 73-key model (as I wanted the physical organ drawbars...) and, tho, theoretically would want to extend my range to 88+ keys *without having to buy a huge 88-key external keyboard*.

Basically, I love the nord grand piano sounds, and am fine with the semi-weighted keys of the 73-key model, but it is still bothering me that I don't have the effective range of a grand piano.

What I'm envisioning is, like, ideally, a two octave C-to-C keyboard sitting above my stage 3. The range of a 73-note keyboard seems to be E1-E7, and the range of and 88-note keyboard goes up to C8, obviously. It would be perfect if I could split the external keyboard to two different octave ranges, if that could somehow be done...

Set the top 8 keys, only, to F7-C8, and then set everything below that to E1 and below (which would actually go down to C0... the lowest note on a 97-note keyboard).

The way the external keyboard routing works is honestly still confusing to me, but I suspect this would also need some especially programmable midi keyboard or custom set-up... Might anyone here know how to accomplish something like this?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or guesses!
Gabocrates7

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Nord Stage 3 -- extending range w/ an external midi keyboard

Sponsor

Re: Nord Stage 3 -- extending range w/ an external midi keyb

Postby Tasten-Bert » 26 Jan 2023, 15:38

Hi and a very warm welcome to this wonderful forum of nord enthusiasts.

You may look for a small usb keyboard which is able to split the keys in zones and rise resp. lower the octaves by at least 36 tones at each side. Different MIDI channels don‘t seem to be helpful as you have to address the same sound section, the piano.

Even if your idea may work technically - I cannot imagine how you would play it then. What if there‘s a fast run upwards when your hand has to move from one keybed to another? What if you grip octaves with your left hand and your little finger needs notes which belong to the other keyboard?

I would by far prefer a second, weighted, piano style master keyboard to cover all.

Cheers from Germany
Last edited by Tasten-Bert on 26 Jan 2023, 15:41, edited 1 time in total.
| nord electro 5D 61 and korg X50 on k&m 18880 or 18950 stand | iPad mini 5 with Set List Maker | phonic AM120 submixer |

... and I loved these of my former stuff: nord electro 3, Roland VR-760, Fatar Studio 1100, korg 01/W, Roland U-20
Tasten-Bert
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby maxpiano » 26 Jan 2023, 15:49

Tasten-Bert wrote:Hi and a very warm welcome to this wonderful forum of nord enthusiasts.

You may look for a small usb keyboard (..)

No no, not really "USB", the external master must have at least one standard MIDI OUT (DIN) to work directly with NS3 (i.e without a computer/tablet in between, necessary if you have to use USB MIDI).

Then I am 100% with you that the real and best solution is to get a 88keys weighted master as the companion of the NS3 SW73 :thumbup:
Last edited by maxpiano on 26 Jan 2023, 16:26, edited 4 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby FZiegler » 26 Jan 2023, 16:10

You seem to be serious about that. Wow.

Wouldn't it be easier to just use the octave shift function on your Nord to rarely move your playing range around?

Or get yourself a 2-tier piano stand and put the Stage on the upper one? Put an 88-weighted-keys board on the basic one for fluent playing. That's what I do. Isn't in the living room, I have to admit -- but your DIY project would't look much better.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars

The author FZiegler was thanked by:
maxpiano
FZiegler
Donator

Postby maxpiano » 26 Jan 2023, 18:45

FZiegler wrote:Wouldn't it be easier to just use the octave shift function on your Nord to rarely move your playing range around?

This is a very valid point + alternative suggestion (and something I do on a couple of pieces btw, where I need to go down to lowest C) :thumbup:
Last edited by maxpiano on 26 Jan 2023, 18:45, edited 1 time in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby Gabocrates7 » 26 Jan 2023, 19:32

Thanks everyone, I think you are right to point out that just getting a grand sized keyboard would be preferable in the long term.

I've thought of getting a kawai vpc-1 eventually. Unfortunately, I am working with limited space right now, the section of wall I have to put my compact 73 against is just barely broader than the keyboard itself... and I am wary of purchasing more equipment. Does anyone w/ the kawai vpc // compact 73 set up have a picture of how it looks in terms of dimension and how the nord rests on top of that keyboard?

I suppose using the octave shift might really be good enough for most purposes, in the meantime. All the same, if someone reading here knows of a small midi keyboard which is able to split its keys into zones and assign lower/higher octaves to each zone, OR would know how to begin to set that up DIY... well, that would be the assignment I set up for this post...
Gabocrates7

Postby FZiegler » 26 Jan 2023, 21:50

The VPC-1 is indeed the most space occupying option amoung all. But on the other side, you might set the Nord directly on top of it. And it's great (except for maybe some fuss with the sustain pedal).

If you are mostly into piano playing and it's for home use, I'd recommend this or another weighted keyboard (MIDI controller only or stage piano - there are a lot of options, maybe even used). You may even want to wait what NAMM brings in April. As far as the NS3C is concerned, it's really not very comfortable for piano playing in my eyes (even if it's possible to some extent).

What I haven't yet heard of is a satisfying folding weighted piano keyboard. There have been enough attempts in the last years, and some were promising...
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
FZiegler
Donator

Postby vojtech-h » 26 Jan 2023, 22:47

Kawai VPC-1 ... pleasant feeling but big cabinets
88 wooden keys with hammer RM3 Grand II, 1 zone
Dimensions (W x D x H): 1380 x 425 x 185 mm

Note
1. ... the instrument on the second level of the stand is quite high to comfortably play both keys from the keyboard bench
2. ... FZiegler writes... you might set the Nord directly on top of the VPC... with some kind of pad, the upper surface of the VPC is not flat ?

Some possible alternatives...
Studiologic SL88 Grand
88 keys TP40 Wooden hammer keyboard with aftertouch, 4 programmable zones
Dimensions (L x W x H): 1260 x 310 x 110 mm

Studiologic SL88 Studio
Lightweight percussion keyboard TP/100LR with aftertouch, 4 programmable zones
Dimensions (L x W x H): 1260 x 310 x 125 mm
vojtech-h

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord C2D

Postby maxpiano » 26 Jan 2023, 23:14

vojtech-h wrote: 2. ... FZiegler writes... you might set the Nord directly on top of the VPC... with some kind of pad, the upper surface of the VPC is not flat ?

No it is not flat (I have owned it and a friend made me a pair of 3D printed adapters, based on a 3D model of the VPC that I found on another forum, pianoworld if I remember well)
Last edited by maxpiano on 26 Jan 2023, 23:15, edited 1 time in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby FZiegler » 27 Jan 2023, 00:15

What vojtech-h proposes is what I'd recommend, too, if space is a concern.

I think you can (theoretically) put a NS3C directly on top of a VPC-1 as the NS3C has rubber feet (will probably not be fully secure). I don't do it, though.

But it remains a beast: Even the letters on the back are much bigger on the Kawai because there is not only more width but also a lot more height. Like with a Kawai MP-12 or a Nord Grand. You even need an XL dust cover for the VPC-1 as normal 88-keys dust covers don't fit. So there are formats like the NP5/Yamaha P-515/Studiologic SL-88 which may fit better into your rooms.

KawaiVPC1-NordStage3C.jpg
KawaiVPC1-NordStage3C.jpg (1.8 MiB) Viewed 1190 times
Last edited by FZiegler on 27 Jan 2023, 00:19, edited 1 time in total.
FZiegler
Donator

Return to Nord Stage Forum