The Nord C1, C2 and C2D Organ Forum

Will the Hammond EXP-50 work with the Nord C2D?

Postby Westside Ryan » 15 Oct 2013, 05:16

Does anybody know if the Hammond EXP-50 expression pedal will work with the Nord C2D?
Thanks!

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EXP50/
Westside Ryan

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord C2D

Will the Hammond EXP-50 work with the Nord C2D?

Sponsor

Re: Will the Hammond EXP-50 work with the Nord C2D?

Postby tacitus » 15 Oct 2013, 18:25

It ought to - the XK1&2 which use that pedal also take other types, so probably one of the models you can choose in the stup will work it OK. ~To get an absolute answer you'll have to try it or contact Nord.
tacitus

Postby Mooser » 15 Oct 2013, 19:29

Why pay $212 for a Hammond volume pedal when you can buy a Yanmaha FC-7 for about fifty bucks? Remember, the volume pedal only operates a control circuit in the organ. It is this control circuit which emulates the volume and tone curve (both vary) to emulate the vintage Hammond variable-capacitor expression pedal on the 3 series Hammond. Not the pedal itself. The menu offers some choices to better match the potentiometer curves in popular volume pedals. But a Hammond volume pedal won't give a B-3 like curve to the expression pedal, that's already in the organ.
Mooser

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord C2

Postby Westside Ryan » 16 Oct 2013, 00:17

I found a like-new used one for $60. Sounds like it is sold now, but if the buyer doesn't show than it's mine. I guess that I should have just jumped on it right away as I could have always resold it and got my money back. Oh well.
Westside Ryan

Postby Mooser » 11 Nov 2013, 19:47

I wouldn't touch a used volume pedal. Not worth the trouble. I've already experienced what an unstable potentiometer does to the volume-control circuit. Sends it nuts!
Mooser

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord C2

Postby Westside Ryan » 11 Nov 2013, 20:26

The pedal was actually new, but out of the box. It was sold before I got back to lady anyway. I will most likely end up picking up a Yamaha since they come highly recommended.

The author Westside Ryan was thanked by:
Mooser
Westside Ryan

Postby Bcprods » 21 Nov 2013, 10:47

Yes, it works perfectly. One of the C2D's expression pedal software settings (the EV-5 setting? Can't remember) corresponds perfectly, giving u the full 100% travel.
Bcprods

Postby kingfingers » 26 Jan 2023, 10:09

It absolutely can as I have just tested it today. I have the Pedal Keys 27 on my C2D and have been having problems with the included Exp pedal in that it is unreliable around the max volume. It gets to about 95 then 100 but will suddenly regress to a lower number and give me a jerky swell. It's subtle, but speaking as a B3 owner, and knowing the feel and how important the swell is to phrasing and dynamics this really cramps my style. I had an SK2 and used the EXP-50 very successfully so I tried it on the C2D.Now I'm back in the real world with no volume problems at max volume. I could have replaced the pot which probably would have fixed the problem but I love the robust steel casing on the Exp-50 and will retrofit it onto the raised metal housing on the pedals. The Exp-50 has the same size and throw but also a very nice and satisfying tension. I totally recommend this pedal.
kingfingers

Postby wtibbit » 26 Jan 2023, 22:04

Mooser wrote:Why pay $212 for a Hammond volume pedal when you can buy a Yanmaha FC-7 for about fifty bucks? Remember, the volume pedal only operates a control circuit in the organ. It is this control circuit which emulates the volume and tone curve (both vary) to emulate the vintage Hammond variable-capacitor expression pedal on the 3 series Hammond. Not the pedal itself. The menu offers some choices to better match the potentiometer curves in popular volume pedals. But a Hammond volume pedal won't give a B-3 like curve to the expression pedal, that's already in the organ.

Why? It feels much more like the expression pedal on a Hammond B-3 or equivalent Hammond console organ.

I have a B-3 and have played the real thing since the mid-1960s. I currently gig with a Hammond XK-5 and its EXP-100 pedal. I bought and used a Hammond EXP-50 with my Nord Stage 3 because of my satisfaction with the EXP-100 (the EXP-100 has a DIN connector that is only compatible with the X series Hammond organs.) I directly compared one of my Yamaha FC-7 pedals to both the EXP-100 and EXP-50; for me the Hammond pedals were noticeably better and worth the extra cost. Of course, YMMV!
wtibbit
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5

Return to Nord C1 / C2 / C2D Organ Forum