General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Re: Nord Stage 4 - Speculation/gossip/hypothesis

Postby analogika » 24 Jan 2023, 02:56

redisred wrote:I'm actually in the minority (perhaps) that really likes the LED drawbars. I like being able to see where the drawbars are set as I change patches, and on a weighted keyboard I'm not often playing organ parts that require a lot of quick drawbar changes.

I'm with you on the LEDs, but I need to be able to grab a handful and let her scream a bit when I'm riding the groove.

I like how Yamaha has combined the two on their YC series.

On that note, I miss the LED encoder on the filter frequency from the stage 2 for the same reason!

Absolutely. Switching from an endless rotary encoder with LED ring to the absolute-value pot for the filter in particular is problematic.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Sponsor

Postby M1tsos » 24 Jan 2023, 09:47

ericL wrote:
M1tsos wrote:
The main reason of no drawbars at weighted action instruments is the weight…

My guess is that the weight difference between LEDs and drawbuttons vs. drawbars is going to be very minimal, maybe a fraction of a pound? I believe it's more about a combination of instrument focus plus manufacturing cost. Though as Hlaau points out, the cost to have LEDs/drawbuttons vs. drawbars could be a wash in terms of cost. Perhaps they could standardize this...which they had done prior to the NS3. All the Stage instruments before the NS3 had only LEDs/drawbuttons.

We will see my friend. Not much time left for it
M1tsos

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Grand

Postby maxpiano » 24 Jan 2023, 10:29

analogika wrote:
redisred wrote:I'm actually in the minority (perhaps) that really likes the LED drawbars. I like being able to see where the drawbars are set as I change patches, and on a weighted keyboard I'm not often playing organ parts that require a lot of quick drawbar changes.

I'm with you on the LEDs, but I need to be able to grab a handful and let her scream a bit when I'm riding the groove.

I like how Yamaha has combined the two on their YC series.

On that note, I miss the LED encoder on the filter frequency from the stage 2 for the same reason!

Absolutely. Switching from an endless rotary encoder with LED ring to the absolute-value pot for the filter in particular is problematic.

I also preferred the LEDs on NS2, but at least as far as drawbars are concerned the presence of the OLED display showing the drawbars values is by all means equivalent to me (while I miss the LEDs on morphable pots and it would be preferrable possibility to set the physical drawbars in a hook/catch mode, to avoid jumps from the preset value)
Last edited by maxpiano on 24 Jan 2023, 10:29, edited 1 time in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby Spider » 24 Jan 2023, 11:06

Yes the problem with physical non-LED drawbars was essentially solved by having the big OLED screen with the preset drawbar diagram. It's not exactly as convenient, but does its job nonetheless.
While the loss of the LED-ring encoders has been unforgivable since the demise of the Lead 3: they should put MORE of them in each new model, not less!

The author Spider was thanked by:
Nordlicht
Spider

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby analogika » 24 Jan 2023, 21:20

Yes, the drawbar diagram on the OLED is very helpful, and does the job, but it's not shown in song mode.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2

Postby Schorsch » 24 Jan 2023, 23:43

analogika wrote:Yes, the drawbar diagram on the OLED is very helpful, and does the job, but it's not shown in song mode.

… which is unfortunate and something they should change on the next model
Regards Schorsch

Want to convert programs between NS2 and NS3?
Check this awesome website to visually view NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Gear: NS3C, NS3 88, KeyLargo, Vent II ..

The author Schorsch was thanked by 2 members, including:
analogikaFZiegler
Schorsch
Donator

Postby dansnord » 27 Jan 2023, 21:13

M1tsos wrote:
mariczer wrote:In my opinion, Nord is closing its business. The last product was made over two years ago. The company does not respond to requests sent to them on support. It no longer develops the operating systems of its products. There are no fixes for found bugs.

They are not closing.. they just slower than the others because they are low amount employees

While I think they are not closing, anything is possible. I own a small IT services company with 8 employees. While my company is largely unchanged from Covid, I have found that most larger vendors (of software and hardware) we work with have changed a lot. As a rule, companies have less productivity which makes everything really challenging. All of our implementations are taking longer. Responsiveness from vendors is lacking. The quality of the people we are working with has dropped. I'm not making a statement as to why this is happening, but I'm saying it's absolutely happening in the tech world. Hopefully the pendulum will swing back from this extreme, at all companies, including Nord. But again, anything is possible. Nord sells really expensive keyboards to a relatively small number of people. Maybe that business model is not sound these days? I hope not. I just bought my first Nord, a Stage 3 88, a month ago!
dansnord

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Postby docbop » 27 Jan 2023, 21:31

dansnord wrote:
M1tsos wrote:
mariczer wrote:In my opinion, Nord is closing its business. The last product was made over two years ago. The company does not respond to requests sent to them on support. It no longer develops the operating systems of its products. There are no fixes for found bugs.

They are not closing.. they just slower than the others because they are low amount employees

While I think they are not closing, anything is possible. I own a small IT services company with 8 employees. While my company is largely unchanged from Covid, I have found that most larger vendors (of software and hardware) we work with have changed a lot. As a rule, companies have less productivity which makes everything really challenging. All of our implementations are taking longer. Responsiveness from vendors is lacking. The quality of the people we are working with has dropped. I'm not making a statement as to why this is happening, but I'm saying it's absolutely happening in the tech world. Hopefully the pendulum will swing back from this extreme, at all companies, including Nord. But again, anything is possible. Nord sells really expensive keyboards to a relatively small number of people. Maybe that business model is not sound these days? I hope not. I just bought my first Nord, a Stage 3 88, a month ago!

I read an article yesterday after IBM announced layoffs. Amazon, Microsoft, and others in tech industry have annouce or had layoff. The writer of the the article said digging down in to what they all eliminating products, services, that were slow movers or tech projects that R&D was too costly. That major products weren't being touched. The pandemic and now slowing economy is causing big changes in companies. Companies are monitoring employees more than they every have to see who is producing a lot and who isn't. The world is changing a lot right now.
docbop

Postby Schorsch » 27 Jan 2023, 23:51

It’s true that many tech companies have layoffs or had them recently, including my employer. However, that’s not a new phenomenon. I’m in IT since 35 years and saw layoffs and close monitoring of individual successes of employees happening a couple of times in our industry caused by economic slowdowns for various reasons. I would call it a normal behavior but not a good one, missing corporate responsibility and long-term action. My grandfather built up his own company, and throughout his life his self-image as an entrepreneur was that he was responsible for the responsible growth of his company in good economic times and for his employees in difficult times, and therefore made provisions in good times so that he could still keep and pay his employees in bad times. I grew up with this attitude, but unfortunately you hardly find it nowadays, as almost all big companies are run only by salaried managers who have no personal relationship and responsibility for the company but are only focused on optimising profits and making as much money as possible, and ignore entrepreneurial responsibility.

Perhaps Clavia is different in that it is owner-managed, which is why they have a relatively small staff, but can get them through difficult times - who knows?
Regards Schorsch

Want to convert programs between NS2 and NS3?
Check this awesome website to visually view NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Gear: NS3C, NS3 88, KeyLargo, Vent II ..
Schorsch
Donator

Postby Valpurgis » 28 Jan 2023, 02:39

Clavia is an extremely well driven business. Yearly report per 2022/08 says revenues 411 million SEK with net result 128 million SEK. More profitable than ever. https://purehelp.se/company/details/cla ... 5562463769

The author Valpurgis was thanked by 3 members, including:
FZieglerSchorschanalogika
Valpurgis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

PreviousNext

Return to Nord Stage Forum