Nord's classical Virtual Analog Synth Nord LEAD 1/2/2x/3/4/A1 and Nord Rack versions

Anyone remember original retail price of the Lead A1R(rack)?

Postby VinceClarke » 17 Jan 2023, 23:04

Hello everyone, I am considering the purchase of an A1R but trying to figure out what a fair price is.

As I understand it, these were only made for maybe the first 3 years of the A1 run (approx 2014-16), so there don't seem to be too many of them currently available on the used market.

Current USD retail for the A1 keys is $2,000, with nice shaped used ones sometimes available in the $1,200-$1,300 range.

Does anyone remember what retail prices were for the A1R's back when they were available new?

Also, back in that same time frame, were the A1 keys cheaper than they are now? Haven't been following Nords until recently but almost every other major synth mfg raised their prices in the past 2 years so looking for some perspective on what Nord did.
VinceClarke

Anyone remember original retail price of the Lead A1R(rack)?

Sponsor

Re: Anyone remember original retail price of the Lead A1R(ra

Postby DJKeys » 18 Jan 2023, 00:09

The original MAP of the A1 was $1799 when I bought mine. The A1R was $1499. A quick internet scan shows they have really held their value and have increased substantially since Feb of 2022. Reverb has a number of A1s for sale, so you can check there-

-dj
Last edited by DJKeys on 18 Jan 2023, 00:16, edited 2 times in total.

Nord Stage 3
Nord Wave 2
Yamaha U3
iMac i7 13.5.2
Studio One 5.5.2
Nektar T4
Drawmer DL 241
Focusrite ISA Two
Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

The author DJKeys was thanked by:
ericL
DJKeys
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave 2

Re: Anyone remember original retail price of the Lead A1R(ra

Postby ericL » 18 Jan 2023, 01:17

I am perpetually fascinated by any and all of Nord's rack units. I think they have stopped making anything in a rack version, with either the A1R or NL4R as the last ones. In the past, I have owned (and since sold) a variety of Nord rack units, including NE2R, NL2R (and I think I may have had this one more than once or they had an EX version of it?), Micro Modular (more of a table top small thing), and perhaps one other. They are very cool and do a lot...however, for live gigs mounted in a rack, most were around 3-4 rack spaces and that's a lot to carry...which is why I never kept them for very long.

If they made a NE6R, I think that could be killer addition to a single keyboard rig paired up with the latest Yamaha/Roland/Korg etc. to give that bit of Nord goodness in a smaller form factor. Yet, the issue would be the desire for hands-on control of it, and then you'd need a big space on your keyboard or an ergonomic way to mount it nearby the rig. I think that rack synth/key modules seem to be going away more generally, compared to the '80s and '90s for sure. I think Roland's Integra might be the only one still around and I was recently texting a few of my buddies to see if anyone has a Yamaha Motif Rack of any variation, since I was looking for a few specific things from my era of having various Motif keyboards and rack units. They aren't that easy to find these days.
Nords: NE2, NS2 88, NS3 Compact x 2
Live rig: NS3, Vent, Radial KL-8, Shure PSM-900 IEM Rig, UE18 & UE7 IEMs.
Studio: Hammond A-101 & Leslie 122, Yamaha CP-80, Yamaha S90, NS2, DSI Prophet-6, Vent II, Roland JX-8P.
ericL
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Return to Nord Lead / Rack Forum