This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Re: Electro 6d/desktop module vs Stage 3 Compact

Postby gtholden » 10 Jan 2023, 00:43

Still trying to pull the trigger on a Stage 3 and I was curious if the difference between the Stage 3 and Electro 6 sample memory is that big of a deal in reality (480MB vs 512MB). Could folks give examples of how much space certain samples might take up once converted to the .nsmp3 format? For example, I have a sample of the intro to Pink Floyd's Money that is 6.7MB in .wav format. Once converted to Nord format, would it be the same size or reduced or larger?

And lastly, is the polyphony on the Stage per panel?

Thanks!
gtholden

Sponsor

Postby JVSalazar » 10 Jan 2023, 04:48

As a late reply to OP, if you don't mind a semi-Frankenstein setup, an Electro 6D + desktop module definitely is a viable option (one that I actually use) if you don't mind the loss of aftertouch - it can go pretty in depth, so let me explain in order of complexity and workarounds needed. To clarify, this is assuming you don't want to add a 2nd tier keyboard to your setup. Adding a mono or poly synth on top of the Electro negates almost all of the need for what I'm about to explain.

If you just want customizable pads or synth sounds (without the need for pitch bend or mod wheel), the best option I've found would be to add a Roland JX-08. You can slot it on top of one of the empty flat surfaces on the left or right of the Electro. You can try syncing your desired programs on the JX-08 with your setlist on the Electro - if you don't need synth for a particular song just turn the oscillator volume all the way down for program on the JX-08. Alternatively if you don't want to do all that work, make sure the Electro doesn't send program changes and have one of the presets be a silent one and save the rest as desired. Just manually select the silent preset whenever you don't need a synth. You can also route the headphone output of the synth to the monitor in of the Nord to save on outputs.

If you want to add pitch bend/mod wheel, the best solution I have found is the ATEMP MC1 (found here: https://atemp.ru/en/products/atemp_mc1.html). I have one and can confirm that it works as intended. How to set this up with the Electro and a synth should be pretty self explanatory. You probably do need another outlet though to power the ATEMP MC1 through USB, or you could use a power bank. And luckily enough, the Nord has two free side panels to rest things on, so you could place a synth on the left and the ATEMP MC1 on the right.

If you want to use a larger desktop synth that won't fit on the side panels, like an OB6 desktop for example, you can get the Nord music stand and rest whatever you want on there. I've tried this with a Prophet REV2 desktop and supports it surprisingly well. If I had a NS3C, I would definitely rest a synth (or two) there to use with the extern section.

And for anything else you can think of, If you need even more flexibility, this is where a Blokas Midihub can come in. I know there are some use cases where this would be useful for some people. Even though I have one, I haven't really needed to use it with my Electro for anything though.

Of course adding these points of complexity adds more points of failure, so you should keep this in mind if you are more of a risk-averse type of person. I haven't had a problem with this setup so far though (yet... :mrgreen:)
Last edited by JVSalazar on 10 Jan 2023, 04:52, edited 3 times in total.

The author JVSalazar was thanked by:
gtholden
JVSalazar

Postby Schorsch » 10 Jan 2023, 13:15

gtholden wrote:Still trying to pull the trigger on a Stage 3 and I was curious if the difference between the Stage 3 and Electro 6 sample memory is that big of a deal in reality (480MB vs 512MB). Could folks give examples of how much space certain samples might take up once converted to the .nsmp3 format? For example, I have a sample of the intro to Pink Floyd's Money that is 6.7MB in .wav format. Once converted to Nord format, would it be the same size or reduced or larger?
Thanks!

Hi, I can't tell you but the easiest way to get that information is to load the .wav file into the Nord Sample Editor and create a .nsmp3 sample from it. It't not a big deal and you will see how the size will look like
Regards Schorsch

Want to convert programs between NS2 and NS3?
Check this awesome website to visually view NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Gear: NS3C, NS3 88, KeyLargo, Vent II ..

The author Schorsch was thanked by:
gtholden
Schorsch
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby gtholden » 10 Jan 2023, 15:03

JVSalazar wrote:As a late reply to OP, if you don't mind a semi-Frankenstein setup, an Electro 6D + desktop module definitely is a viable option (one that I actually use) if you don't mind the loss of aftertouch - it can go pretty in depth, so let me explain in order of complexity and workarounds needed. To clarify, this is assuming you don't want to add a 2nd tier keyboard to your setup. Adding a mono or poly synth on top of the Electro negates almost all of the need for what I'm about to explain.

If you just want customizable pads or synth sounds (without the need for pitch bend or mod wheel), the best option I've found would be to add a Roland JX-08. You can slot it on top of one of the empty flat surfaces on the left or right of the Electro. You can try syncing your desired programs on the JX-08 with your setlist on the Electro - if you don't need synth for a particular song just turn the oscillator volume all the way down for program on the JX-08. Alternatively if you don't want to do all that work, make sure the Electro doesn't send program changes and have one of the presets be a silent one and save the rest as desired. Just manually select the silent preset whenever you don't need a synth. You can also route the headphone output of the synth to the monitor in of the Nord to save on outputs.

If you want to add pitch bend/mod wheel, the best solution I have found is the ATEMP MC1 (found here: https://atemp.ru/en/products/atemp_mc1.html). I have one and can confirm that it works as intended. How to set this up with the Electro and a synth should be pretty self explanatory. You probably do need another outlet though to power the ATEMP MC1 through USB, or you could use a power bank. And luckily enough, the Nord has two free side panels to rest things on, so you could place a synth on the left and the ATEMP MC1 on the right.

If you want to use a larger desktop synth that won't fit on the side panels, like an OB6 desktop for example, you can get the Nord music stand and rest whatever you want on there. I've tried this with a Prophet REV2 desktop and supports it surprisingly well. If I had a NS3C, I would definitely rest a synth (or two) there to use with the extern section.

And for anything else you can think of, If you need even more flexibility, this is where a Blokas Midihub can come in. I know there are some use cases where this would be useful for some people. Even though I have one, I haven't really needed to use it with my Electro for anything though.

Of course adding these points of complexity adds more points of failure, so you should keep this in mind if you are more of a risk-averse type of person. I haven't had a problem with this setup so far though (yet... :mrgreen:)

This is great info! Thanks for the detailed reply. I currently have a Subsequent 37 over my main keyboard which will become a Nord. I like the suggestions for incorporating a desktop synth. There's no denying the functionality of the Stage 3 with morphing and extern section, but something really speaks to me every time I hear the OB6, much more so than the synth section in the Stage 3. And with the Stage 3 price point only a few hundred more than the Electro, it is kind of a no brainer to get the Stage. I'm just not sure I'd utilize the synth section and would hate to see it sit unused. I'll consider your suggestions. Thanks again!
gtholden

Postby gtholden » 10 Jan 2023, 15:04

Schorsch wrote:
gtholden wrote:Still trying to pull the trigger on a Stage 3 and I was curious if the difference between the Stage 3 and Electro 6 sample memory is that big of a deal in reality (480MB vs 512MB). Could folks give examples of how much space certain samples might take up once converted to the .nsmp3 format? For example, I have a sample of the intro to Pink Floyd's Money that is 6.7MB in .wav format. Once converted to Nord format, would it be the same size or reduced or larger?
Thanks!

Hi, I can't tell you but the easiest way to get that information is to load the .wav file into the Nord Sample Editor and create a .nsmp3 sample from it. It't not a big deal and you will see how the size will look like

Great suggestion! I'll try this!
gtholden

Postby anotherscott » 10 Jan 2023, 16:38

gtholden wrote:I guess an Electro 7D with an extern section, aftertouch and mod wheel would be the perfect mate, but I'll keep dreaming for that one.

BTW, I just saw an open box Compact for $3149...only $150 more than an Electro 6d... :facepalm:

If you could get your theoretical 7d (a 6D with EXT, AT, mod wheel) for $150 more than a 6D would you do it? If so, that's pretty much what you get in that open box Compact, plus you get a whole bunch of other stuff, and you can ignore the parts you don't care about. I know you said you hate to see its whole synth section go unused, but as Rusty Mike says, you can also process samples through that synth section, which is a whole other synth functionality that you won't get from the OB6.
Last edited by anotherscott on 11 Jan 2023, 23:08, edited 1 time in total.
anotherscott

Postby gtholden » 10 Jan 2023, 19:58

anotherscott wrote:
gtholden wrote:I guess an Electro 7D with an extern section, aftertouch and mod wheel would be the perfect mate, but I'll keep dreaming for that one.

BTW, I just saw an open box Compact for $3149...only $150 more than an Electro 6d... :facepalm:

If you could get your theoretical 7d (a 6D with EXT, AT, mod wheel) for $150 more than a 6D would you do it? If so, that's pretty much what you get in that open box Compact (apart from a bit less organ customization, mostly), plus you get a whole bunch of other stuff, and you can ignore the parts you don't care about. I know you said you hate to see its whole synth section go unused, but as Rusty Mike says, you can also process samples through that synth section, which is a whole other synth functionality that you won't get from the OB6.

It's really a no brainer, isn't it. I just need to pull the trigger. The real solution is to get the Stage 3 now...then an ob6 desktop later on. Thanks!
gtholden

Postby gtholden » 11 Jan 2023, 22:23

So when I put the 6.7MB sample into the sample editor, it spit out a Nord sample that was 5.8MB...for inquiring minds.

To look at the decision between the Electro 6 and Stage 3 in a different way, price being mute, would there be a compelling reason to purchase an Electro over a Stage 3?
gtholden

Postby cgrafx » 11 Jan 2023, 23:00

gtholden wrote:So when I put the 6.7MB sample into the sample editor, it spit out a Nord sample that was 5.8MB...for inquiring minds.

To look at the decision between the Electro 6 and Stage 3 in a different way, price being mute, would there be a compelling reason to purchase an Electro over a Stage 3?

If price isn't a consideration then there isn't any reason to buy the Electro over the Stage 3.
Current Gear: NS3C, Alesis QS6.1, QS7.1 & QS8.2, Hammond B3 with Leslie 122, Yamaha CP70, Yamaha C3 6' Grand, Roland D-05, Roland AX-Edge, Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard, Behringer Arp Odyssey

The author cgrafx was thanked by:
gtholden
cgrafx

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby anotherscott » 11 Jan 2023, 23:08

The E6 has the B3/Bass organ option, and the 61 in particular has the advantage of smaller size, lower weight.

The author anotherscott was thanked by:
gtholden
anotherscott

Previous

Return to General Nord Forum