This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Lead A1 or Electro 6D as midi -which Nord to choose?

Postby javimi » 10 Dec 2022, 13:22

Hello!!! I want to buy my first nord keyboard, and I need some help. I want it to be as flexible as possible, so I wanted to know if I can use a E6D or a Lead a1 as a midi keyboard to control some vst instruments from Logic. As well as modify these vst instruments with the Keyboard built-in controls.

I also want to know if you can apply plugins from mainstage to the nord keyboard.

I want it for music production and practicing piano too. I know my perfect keyboard would be de stage 3, but I can not afford it. That’s why I am hesitating between e6d and a1.

Hope u can help mee. Thank u somuch in advance!!
javimi

Lead A1 or Electro 6D as midi -which Nord to choose?

Sponsor

Re: Lead A1 or Electro 6D as midi -which Nord to choose?

Postby Tasten-Bert » 10 Dec 2022, 13:45

Hello Javimi

and a very warm welcome to this wonderful forum full of nord enthusiasts.

How did you come to your decision of buying a nord electro for production reason? I doubt if you are doing well with that idea. The nords are really good instruments for playing live, even for recording you can get fine results as long as you don‘t need multi channeling and large keybed splittings for your MIDI projects. In former times I used some korgs or Roland fantoms for that, much easier.

Let us know your ideas, if you don‘t mind. In any case, good luck for what you‘re doing.

Cheers from Germany

Edit: Always helpful is a look at the manual, downloadable here
https://www.nordkeyboards.com/sites/def ... on%20H.pdf

On page 31 you get an idea of the controller data you may want to use.
Last edited by Tasten-Bert on 10 Dec 2022, 13:49, edited 1 time in total.
| nord electro 5D 61 and korg X50 on k&m 18880 or 18950 stand | iPad mini 5 with Set List Maker | phonic AM120 submixer |

... and I loved these of my former stuff: nord electro 3, Roland VR-760, Fatar Studio 1100, korg 01/W, Roland U-20
Tasten-Bert
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby FZiegler » 10 Dec 2022, 13:50

And both the Lead A1 and the Electro D don't have a piano keybed - so not dedicated to play piano.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
FZiegler
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby javimi » 10 Dec 2022, 14:25

Tasten-Bert wrote:Hello Javimi

and a very warm welcome to this wonderful forum full of nord enthusiasts.

How did you come to your decision of buying a nord electro for production reason? I doubt if you are doing well with that idea. The nords are really good instruments for playing live, even for recording you can get fine results as long as you don‘t need multi channeling and large keybed splittings for your MIDI projects. In former times I used some korgs or Roland fantoms for that, much easier.

Let us know your ideas, if you don‘t mind. In any case, good luck for what you‘re doing.

Cheers from Germany

Edit: Always helpful is a look at the manual, downloadable here
https://www.nordkeyboards.com/sites/def ... on%20H.pdf

On page 31 you get an idea of the controller data you may want to use.

Hiiii
As I said I want something flexible, a keyboard I can practice piano with (semi weighted keys), but also something i could use as a midi controller and as a synth.

Dont you think e6d or a1 are good options? Can you recommend other models from other brands?
javimi

Postby maxpiano » 10 Dec 2022, 15:15

"Practicing piano" and "semiweighted keys" don't really match well and as others said neither NE6 or NL are in general a good option as a master keyboard for production with VSTs (you can use them but with a lot of limits).

People buy Nord primarily for their sounds, so if that is not your main interest you should rather look at other brands/models, for example what about a Numa X Piano? You get weighted keys, 4 zones, aftertouch, integrated USB audio, on board sounds (which you can complement with VSTis), multiple pedals inputs, 2 programmable joysticks; just add a midi controller like a Nanokontrol to it and you have all you need for production and also "practicing piano".
Last edited by maxpiano on 10 Dec 2022, 15:19, edited 3 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby WannitBBBad » 10 Dec 2022, 15:48

Hello, welcome to the Forum! As you mention the price of the Stage 3 being a limitation, I thought it's worth noting that there's speculation of a new Stage model being released in the next few months and at least in the United States the Stage 3 has dropped in price about 20% this week. Good luck to you!
Last edited by WannitBBBad on 10 Dec 2022, 16:01, edited 1 time in total.
Nord Stage 3 | SC Prophet T8 | Korg X50... In the past: Nord Stage EX, 2, 2EX | SC Prophet 5, 10 | MiniMoog | Hammond B3 & 122 Leslie | Yamaha DX7IIFD, EX5, CP60 | Hohner D6 | Fender Rhodes | Roland S-50, D-50, XP-50...
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator

Postby Elias » 11 Dec 2022, 15:19

I would not buy either of these as a MIDI controller. Both have quite limited controls, and they don't the layout is weird for anything else than the internal sound engine. The Electro keybed is fine, but the Lead A1 keybed is horrible.
Last edited by Elias on 11 Dec 2022, 15:20, edited 1 time in total.
User-created Stage 2/3 file viewer: https://ns3-program-viewer.cyclic.app
Art is a great excuse to meet another human.
Elias

Postby Winds » 11 Dec 2022, 15:42

So I think you need to be clear if you want to practice more synth melodies or piano pieces... and start deciding which one you want to focus on. I think if you want more synth then a weighted action might feel too heavy. In contrast, semi weighted might feel too buttery and could be disturbing if you want more of a piano feel.

But for sure personally I think it is a huge waste of money if you are just going to use the leada1 or e6d as a midi controller. As maxpiano has said, people usually buy a nord for the sounds (myself included) so please don't buy a nord just to use as a midi controller. Huge waste of money if that's your sole purpose of getting a nord imho.

It would probably be better if you can find a dealer and try a few midi keyboards around (which is always best) and see which keybed you like best... weighted or semi-weighted. Having an idea on how they feel is one thing but it's usually not the same as actually trying a bunch of midi keyboards.

As a recommendation, I blindly bought a nektar impakt just cuz it was damn cheap. For synth melodies it definitely feels alright since it's extremely light. But for piano I do feel it is wayyy too light and sometimes the extreme lightness of the keys definitely affects my playing when doing more piano stuff.

In contrast for some people they are ok with playing piano ish with semi weighted because they are just not used to weighted keys. At the end of the day it's all about preference. Hopefully you get to try a few midi keyboards around.. All the best.
Last edited by Winds on 11 Dec 2022, 15:45, edited 2 times in total.
Winds

Location: that somewhat lesser known country on Borneo Island near to Singapore

Postby anotherscott » 12 Dec 2022, 17:27

javimi wrote:Hello!!! I want to buy my first nord keyboard, and I need some help. I want it to be as flexible as possible, so I wanted to know if I can use a E6D or a Lead a1 as a midi keyboard to control some vst instruments from Logic. As well as modify these vst instruments with the Keyboard built-in controls.

Yes, any MIDI keyboard can play VST instruments, and any MIDI keyboard with controls that send MIDI CC (which the Nords do) can pretty easily be used to control that many other parameters in a VST. (Note that things get more complicated if you want to play/control a keyboard's internal sound and a VST sound simultaneously.)

Elias wrote:I would not buy either of these as a MIDI controller. Both have quite limited controls, and they don't the layout is weird for anything else than the internal sound engine.

I think it depends what you want to do. Obviously, the E6D lacks, for example, a pitch bend wheel, so it makes for a poor controller if you need pitch bend. OTOH, it has a nice layout for controlling organ VSTs. The A1 has a pretty usable layout for controlling synth VSTs (and the really nice pitch stick), and Omnisphere even has a Nord A1 layout pre-mapped. I'm not saying there are no compromises in using a Nord as a controller, but there are compromises with just about anything, it really comes down to your particular needs.

If someone were to ask me which boards with sounds are the most versatile MIDI controllers, I might suggest a Kurzweil K2700/PC4, a Roland Fantom/Fantom-0, a Yamaha Montage/MODX... they all have some significant advantages over the Nords... yet there are also still things that would be Nord advantages, too. There are ways they can be ergonomically preferable, even if their overall functionality is much more limited. Or to put it differently, maybe I'd say Nords as controllers can do a few things very well, while those other alternatives can do many more things, but generally not as well. Except maybe the Fantom which comes close to "all of the above," since it has 9 sliders that can function as drawbars PLUS a bunch of dedicated synth controls (a combination which no Nord has until you get to the Stage), and then a lot of other MIDI functionality as well. But I have no personal experience with that model, and I don't know it works as well in practice as it does in theory. ;-) Like, I don't know if its dedicated synth controls send MIDI CC.

The author anotherscott was thanked by:
Elias
anotherscott

Postby andrzejmakal » 15 Dec 2022, 00:22

Go for Numa.
Cheers
Nord Electro 6D 73, Crumar Mojo 61 & Lower Manual, Kawai MP-7SE, Waldorf Blofeld
andrzejmakal

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Return to General Nord Forum