Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

Re: Piano 5 organ sounds

Postby Todd Brown » 14 Oct 2022, 01:26

I think the VB3M is a good option. If you want actual drawbars, you might think of adding a desktop organ module. There are a couple of companies that make them (Viscount and Crumar).
Current Gear: Stage 3 Compact, Wave 2, Piano 4 88, Piano 5 73, Mojo 61, Mojo Desktop, Viscount Expander Module
Todd Brown

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave 2

Sponsor

Postby WannitBBBad » 09 Dec 2022, 17:19

anotherscott wrote:Also, don't expect miracles. Yes, there are some user samples that can give you a more passable hammond organ sound than the factory-provided organ sounds, but "passable" is about the extent of it. You cannot get really great B3 out of simple sample playback, because so much of the character of the organ comes from things that defy sampling and are best reproduced using other means (like the organ modeling in the Electro and Stage models).

I agree, I've posted quite a few B3 samples with an embedded Leslie effect however using a sample locks one into a single setting when the B3 is almost limitless in its possible combinations. For those wanting a little more than a fixed sample but without an app or keyboard for B3 emulation, there's also the possibility of using "clean" (no effects) B3 samples of some common settings and adding a pedal to capture the Leslie effect. Here are a couple clean samples I posted at nord-user-samples-nsmp-samples-f14/hammond-888-nsmp-samples-t21307.html where I tried out my Electro Harmonix Lester G pedal that I use for my guitar. Take care.

Last edited by WannitBBBad on 12 Dec 2022, 14:50, edited 1 time in total.
Nord Stage 3 | SC Prophet T8 | Korg X50... In the past: Nord Stage EX, 2, 2EX | SC Prophet 5, 10 | MiniMoog | Hammond B3 & 122 Leslie | Yamaha DX7IIFD, EX5, CP60 | Hohner D6 | Fender Rhodes | Roland S-50, D-50, XP-50...

The author WannitBBBad was thanked by:
Nordine
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator

Postby jperiod » 08 May 2023, 23:27

WannitBBBad wrote:
anotherscott wrote:Also, don't expect miracles. Yes, there are some user samples that can give you a more passable hammond organ sound than the factory-provided organ sounds, but "passable" is about the extent of it. You cannot get really great B3 out of simple sample playback, because so much of the character of the organ comes from things that defy sampling and are best reproduced using other means (like the organ modeling in the Electro and Stage models).

I agree, I've posted quite a few B3 samples with an embedded Leslie effect however using a sample locks one into a single setting when the B3 is almost limitless in its possible combinations. For those wanting a little more than a fixed sample but without an app or keyboard for B3 emulation, there's also the possibility of using "clean" (no effects) B3 samples of some common settings and adding a pedal to capture the Leslie effect. Here are a couple clean samples I posted at nord-user-samples-nsmp-samples-f14/hammond-888-nsmp-samples-t21307.html where I tried out my Electro Harmonix Lester G pedal that I use for my guitar. Take care.

Can these organ samples be layered with say a piano and a string ensemble?
jperiod

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby JeffLearman » 09 May 2023, 18:09

Try the samples first. They wouldn't satisfy me, but if they're just for occasional background use or a few covers where some Hammond is needed, they might do the trick.

I'm a long-time fan of GSI VB3, which you can run on a Mac or Windows laptop or pad. (I used a Lenovo Yoga, which is a laptop where the keyboard flips all the way back to make it a cumbersome pad.) Great sound, but frankly the controls are a little too authentic to the original Hammond in a few areas, like the drawbar selection section. It used to be the best by a pretty long shot; now there are other contenders that are in the same ballpark.

If the NP has a "monitor in" aka "aux in" like my Electro does, you'd use a 1/8" stereo cable from laptop to your NP, plus a USB MIDI adaptor cable to connect MIDI out from the NP to the laptop. These are cheap, though the cheap one I got also buzzes so I also had to get a (also cheap) MIDI isolater. I'm assuming the laptop or pad has a line/headphone output. There are also apps available for phones/tablets but I don't know much about them. With a laptop in pad mode, I use a music rest to hold the laptop.

I used software Hammond (with a hardware drawbar module), then got an Electro 2, and preferred that simply for the easier setup and having two keyboard tiers. Lost the NE2 and went back to laptop, but now I have an NE6 with drawbars. I REALLY like having the drawbars back. I like being able to adjust the tone continuously as I play, to suit the section of the song and also adjust to what the other players are doing.

PS: just saw the reco for VB3M. That would be great, and probably has a much simpler UI than VB3 on a laptop. You'd still need an audio output and a MIDI-USB adaptor for your phone/tablet. Plus it's really cheap!
Last edited by JeffLearman on 09 May 2023, 18:14, edited 2 times in total.
JeffLearman

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2

Postby WannitBBBad » 09 May 2023, 18:18

jperiod wrote:..Can these organ samples be layered with say a piano and a string ensemble?

Yes. I have versions posted with and without Leslie. I agree with others that an external app would capture the B3 much better, but for background and simple use, the samples might come in handy. Good luck.
Last edited by WannitBBBad on 09 May 2023, 18:21, edited 1 time in total.
Nord Stage 3 | SC Prophet T8 | Korg X50... In the past: Nord Stage EX, 2, 2EX | SC Prophet 5, 10 | MiniMoog | Hammond B3 & 122 Leslie | Yamaha DX7IIFD, EX5, CP60 | Hohner D6 | Fender Rhodes | Roland S-50, D-50, XP-50...
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator

Postby JeffLearman » 09 May 2023, 18:25

WannitBBBad wrote:
jperiod wrote:..Can these organ samples be layered with say a piano and a string ensemble?

Yes. I have versions posted with and without Leslie. I agree with others that an external app would capture the B3 much better, but for background and simple use, the samples might come in handy. Good luck.
Plus samples provides a LOT simpler gig setup, and simpler to understand and use because they just become like built-in sounds on the NP.
JeffLearman

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2

Previous

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum