General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Need more volume from Synth/Samples section

Postby hammonitup » 30 Nov 2022, 06:26

Is there some way to get more volume from the Synth section relative to the other Piano and Organ sections of the Stage 3?

I'm using Nord Sample library samples such as Soul Horn Trio and other horns, turned up all the way, while other sections are dialed back -6 to -10db and they still aren't that loud in comparison.

Yes, i could adjust the Piano and Organ sections even lower, which would be ok if it were just one Preset, but i'm using Song mode with various Presets throughout the live set and it seems odd i'd have to go back and adjust all the other sounds lower from all those other presets just to get the Synth Horn samples to be loud enough.

I've checked the Volume Level Offset and it's at 0db. What i need is a boost for the sample or the Synth section. If the NS3 could assign the compressor to just one section that would work, but it is across all the Program sounds equally.

Is there some way to get those Synth samples boosted?!
Last edited by hammonitup on 30 Nov 2022, 06:27, edited 1 time in total.
hammonitup

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 2

Need more volume from Synth/Samples section

Sponsor

Re: Need more volume from Synth/Samples section

Postby hammonitup » 01 Dec 2022, 05:18

wondering where the volume get set per sample? for example, assuming all Nord Sample LIbrary samples are normalized, i'm guessing not all samples have the same impact or amplitude. is there any control for the relative volume of each sample?
hammonitup

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 2

Postby maxpiano » 01 Dec 2022, 09:46

hammonitup wrote:wondering where the volume get set per sample? for example, assuming all Nord Sample LIbrary samples are normalized, i'm guessing not all samples have the same impact or amplitude. is there any control for the relative volume of each sample?

I am not sure all the samples are normalized, so that's one first possible reason; the harmonic content of the sample/waveform also plays a role in the perceived volume, so it really depends case by case. Volume of each sample can only be adjusted when creating the .nsmp, working on its .wav source, not after.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby Klondyke77 » 04 Dec 2022, 10:25

As others said: It depends on each sample how it is percepted but here a few suggestions to try:
- activate Unison (1-3)
- activate Synth internal Drive
- add Drive in AMP Section
- play with EQ in AMP Section
- double Synth in both slots
- add overall compression
It depends on each sound/sample/program which feature is usable but each of them can make a difference.
Klondyke77

Postby mistral_73 » 05 Dec 2022, 21:45

Hello

Here 's a tip:
For percussive / short samples, you can enable the compressor, it helped me to gain the extra db I needed sometimes, with a loss of dynamics which was not disturbing in my context.

Regards
mistral_73

Postby Amadrius » 05 Dec 2022, 22:00

I have found that using the lp+hp filter can increase sample volume.
Amadrius

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave 2

Postby keygirl » 06 Dec 2022, 15:05

hello, I have had my ns3 for three months now......I have learned so much from a series on you tube from Mr. Keys.......Here is one of the sessions....Perhaps you might find this one, and others able to answer your question concerning volume. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r76Z3Vk__c
Good Luck!

The author keygirl was thanked by 2 members, including:
WannitBBBadSchorsch
keygirl

Return to Nord Stage Forum