This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Trading Stage 2 EX for lighter model

Postby songbird14 » 30 Nov 2022, 15:20

Hi everyone,

I've used my Stage 2 EX for gigs and recording for several years and love it.

However, due to health issues, I'm struggling with its weight and size when transporting it to gigs (especially as I don't drive and rely on public transport or taxis).

I'm thinking about trading it for a smaller and lighter model, ideally something with similar patches. Weighted or semi-weighted keys. Any recommendations?

Also, can I transfer my current patches to any new Nord keyboard or does it have to be the Stage series?

Thanks!
songbird14

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX

Trading Stage 2 EX for lighter model

Sponsor

Re: Trading Stage 2 EX for lighter model

Postby WannitBBBad » 30 Nov 2022, 15:24

Hello, and welcome to the Forum! I assume you have a Stage 2 EX 88, so moving to the 73 waterfall semiweighted or 76-key model would be your easiest transition. You can only transfer patches to another Stage 2 or Stage 2 EX, however a program viewer is available to help recreate programs you like to another model, with the only hurdle being any synth sounds you've created. Good luck to you.
Last edited by WannitBBBad on 30 Nov 2022, 15:27, edited 1 time in total.
Nord Stage 3 | SC Prophet T8 | Korg X50... In the past: Nord Stage EX, 2, 2EX | SC Prophet 5, 10 | MiniMoog | Hammond B3 & 122 Leslie | Yamaha DX7IIFD, EX5, CP60 | Hohner D6 | Fender Rhodes | Roland S-50, D-50, XP-50...
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby songbird14 » 30 Nov 2022, 15:26

Thanks, sorry yes I should have clarified - it's the 76-key model. Still too big and heavy, unfortunately!
songbird14

Postby WannitBBBad » 30 Nov 2022, 15:35

songbird14 wrote:Thanks, sorry yes I should have clarified - it's the 76-key model. Still too big and heavy, unfortunately!

Sorry to hear that - I moved to the 76-key EX years ago to have a lighter model than the Stage 2. I have the Stage 3 76 now. The answer probably depends on how much you use the synth capabilities versus just samples without a lot of modification. The newer Electro models will have you covered with Pianos and Organ, and play samples, however you would be losing the 2nd set of the Piano, Organ, and Synth sections.
Last edited by WannitBBBad on 30 Nov 2022, 15:42, edited 2 times in total.
Nord Stage 3 | SC Prophet T8 | Korg X50... In the past: Nord Stage EX, 2, 2EX | SC Prophet 5, 10 | MiniMoog | Hammond B3 & 122 Leslie | Yamaha DX7IIFD, EX5, CP60 | Hohner D6 | Fender Rhodes | Roland S-50, D-50, XP-50...
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator

Postby songbird14 » 30 Nov 2022, 15:57

Thank you! The Electro's look great.

Would I be able to transfer my current patches and Sound Library or would I have to build patches from scratch?
songbird14

Postby Spider » 30 Nov 2022, 16:24

No, the Electro has a different architecture unfortunately. You will be able to aproximate the piano, organ and sample sounds, but you will lose the synth, and of course the two layers (slots, panels, whatever you may call them) structure: the Electro only plays one piano, organ or sample at a time, not two like the Stage.

Also, unless you get the 61-keys version, you wouldn't have a substantial advantage in size and weight. Are 61 keys enough for you? If not, your best option is probably to find a user Stage 2EX Compact: you could keep all your sounds and programs, and save about 5 cms and 3 kilos.

The author Spider was thanked by 2 members, including:
songbird14WannitBBBad
Spider

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby NoDirection » 05 Dec 2022, 12:11

If you can live without the synth and prefer piano action you should try out Nord Electro 6HP. Its lighter, and especially the softcase is much lighter than the case for Nord Stage 76. So total weight is down several kilo. The keyboard action on the Nord Stage compact 73's are very different - and you should try them out before you decide.
Nord Stage 2 HA76, Nord Electro 6 HP, Yamaha Montage 6
NoDirection
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Postby maxpiano » 05 Dec 2022, 12:42

NoDirection wrote:If you can live without the synth and prefer piano action you should try out Nord Electro 6HP. Its lighter, and especially the softcase is much lighter than the case for Nord Stage 76. So total weight is down several kilo. The keyboard action on the Nord Stage compact 73's are very different - and you should try them out before you decide.

I guess you refer to the NS2 HA76, but the NS2 EX 76, which is the case discussed in this thread, has the same HP keybed as the NE6 HP, if you compare their specifications you will see that also weigth is almost the same in fact (NS2 EX HP76: 12,4 kg, NE6 HP: 11.4 kg, just 1kg less) but the Nord softcase HP for sure is a good option, if the OP currently has the trolley model.
Last edited by maxpiano on 05 Dec 2022, 12:56, edited 8 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby Rusty Mike » 05 Dec 2022, 19:43

I'm in a very similar situation, but for different reasons. I currently play a Stage 2EX 76, and I'm looking to simply and shed some weight from the rig. Here's my thinking on the subject.

The TP-100 key action in the HP models is rather controversial. Some like it and some hate it. I've always found it usable and can play just fine on it. If I play it in a quiet setting where I get to acutely try to finesse with the instrument, the sluggishness comes through. However, that's never the conditions under which I play the instrument. I use it live in a band, and the "issues" associated with the HP action absolutely never come to mind. I play my instrument and have a good time, and the HP key action is great.

On the other hand, I also own an Electro 6 73 with the waterfall action, and I find that my hands are fatigued after a while of playing traditional piano on it. The spring-back action is fairly assertive, and it makes piano playing a bit laborious after a while. For some reason, playing Rhodes patches on it all night do not invoke the same feeling. And it's absolutely fine for organ, as far as I'm concerned. And I find the sound quality, workflow and capabilities of the Electro to be in my sweet spot.

I'm looking to move on from the Stage back to a weighted action Electro, as I don't really use the Stage synth features. The Electro benefits from being simpler and lighter. That said, I'm waiting to see what Nord does with the next model Electro. Fatar released an updated version of the TP-100 action called the TP-110, which is supposed to be an improvement over the older model but no heavier. I am waiting to see if Nord moves to the new TP-110 in their HP keyboards, and then I'll consider and Electro.

I have also researched comparative models, but none of them check the necessary boxes. I'm a piano-first player, so the Hammond models are out due to their inferior piano samples. The Yamaha YC73 is a close contender, but it's heavier than what I'm using now, which is a step in the wrong direction. Plus I'm not crazy about their piano sample library being pretty much exclusive Yamaha pianos. Others are too heavy to carry, have actions that are too light or just not at the quality level that I want. . .

. . . so I'm going to wait.
Mike from Central NJ, USA
Tools: Ten fingers, two feet, middle-age brain, questionable judgement and taste
Current Nords: Piano 5 73, Electro 6D 73
Ownership History: Electro 2, Electro 3-73 SW, Electro 3HP, Electro 4D, Stage 2EX 76HP
Rusty Mike

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Return to General Nord Forum