Everything about the Nord Wave Synthesizer

Vocal and Formant Wavetables missing in Wave2?

Postby eisblau » 29 Nov 2022, 00:05

Hello Nord Folks,

I just received my NW2 and I dig it's sound quality and great layer options very much. But I can't find any vocal styled waveforms in the wavetable section, like they can be found in the "granddaddy" of all wavetable synths, the PPG Wave. Instead I get lots of organ, pianos, clavinet and accoustic instruments. :wtf: Another thing that irritates me is, that the wavetables can't be modulated in shape or sequence.

The Wave 2 is advertised as wavetable synthesizer, but I am sorry to notice that those are only classic rompler waves like we had in the 90s, not what I (as a PPG 2.2 user) understand as wavetables. I hope an update could fix this issue, at least that we get to see some synthetic vocal and formant waves in their "Wave" flagship synthesizer!

What about adding an "Vocal" or "Abstract" category in your wavetable oscillator section? :keyboard2:

Btw. shortcomings - a 2nd LFO could easily be updated as well, as the LFO waveform selector button+shift still is unused. Just make this a toggle switch between LFO 1 and 2. :thanks:
Last edited by eisblau on 29 Nov 2022, 03:21, edited 4 times in total.
Nord Gear: Nord Rack 1, Nord Wave, Nord Lead 3 KB, Nord Modular G2 + G2X, Nord Lead 4r (x2)
eisblau

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 4

Vocal and Formant Wavetables missing in Wave2?

Sponsor

Re: Vocal and Formant Wavetables missing in Wave2?

Postby tsss27 » 02 Dec 2022, 08:36

Nord always lists those as wavetables, but this is misleading. This has been pointed out on all previous Nord synths which had this option as well. Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done about it, you can of course sweep through FM and analog shapes but that is not the same.

I would personally like the ability to at least have a second LFO destination for the existing one. Really they should have simply set up the LFO as a morph source. That would have been awesome. Ok it'd still only be one but it would be a lot more flexible without really becoming harder to understand for a new user.
Last edited by tsss27 on 02 Dec 2022, 08:37, edited 1 time in total.
tsss27
Patch Creator

Postby FZiegler » 02 Dec 2022, 09:00

eisblau wrote:Hello Nord Folks,
What about adding an "Vocal" or "Abstract" category in your wavetable oscillator section?

If ever you want to contact Clavia Nord, the forum is not the right place - it's a user forum 'only'. Or better say: a forum run by users. There is a contact page on the Clavia Nord website (www.nordkeyboards.com).
Last edited by FZiegler on 02 Dec 2022, 09:34, edited 1 time in total.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
FZiegler
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby LFOlogy » 04 May 2023, 20:20

I have been trying for a while to get some Formant and vocal sounds, I’ve been able to make a few, but I’ve not focused on it as much recently. I feel like I’d have to try and make a few to really sit down and then I can probably say for sure, how to get to that point.

I’ve been just making my own wavetables via audioterm and serum or waveedit, into the nord sample editor, and using that to set up loops for each of them [for longer sustain], so basically it will keep scanning through from beginning to end and repeat as such. Down side of course being the scan rate is fixed, but I’ve probably uploaded 70+ of them this way. Some are formant like sounding.

But I think the formant type sound I was able to get just from the internal synth engine, if I remember [and later ill play around to see what it actually is - I’m at work now] definitely involved a type of filter, maybe the high/low pass? And using the ring mod effect. And I’m almost sure it also involved a layer or two that had FM being used with the modulation envelope generator linked to the shape control, and maybe the mod wheel as well.

I don’t think though that I tried making a lot of them that way, thus far I’ve mostly relied on the WTs I made from software imported as samples.
Last edited by LFOlogy on 05 May 2023, 16:41, edited 1 time in total.
My Gear: Nord Wave 2, Nord Drum 3P, Arturia Beatstep Pro, Yorick Tech Low Frequency Expander, Korg Opsix/Modwave/Wavestate, Modal Argon 8/Cobalt 8, Aodyo Instruments Anyma Phi, Audiothingies Micromonsta 1/2/Double Drummer, Roland Juno DI, Viscount Legend
LFOlogy

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Drum 3P

Postby LFOlogy » 05 May 2023, 16:47

FM harmonic B-23 and D-17 i used with some mod env 33% atk and release, along w/some filter env tweaks, gave me the 'yai' talking sound. Other high harmonic FM ones can do this too.

I made another one but i cant check just now.
Last edited by LFOlogy on 06 May 2023, 05:20, edited 1 time in total.
My Gear: Nord Wave 2, Nord Drum 3P, Arturia Beatstep Pro, Yorick Tech Low Frequency Expander, Korg Opsix/Modwave/Wavestate, Modal Argon 8/Cobalt 8, Aodyo Instruments Anyma Phi, Audiothingies Micromonsta 1/2/Double Drummer, Roland Juno DI, Viscount Legend
LFOlogy

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Drum 3P

Return to Nord Wave Forum