Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Re: Organ volume balance

Postby ggoebel » 19 Nov 2022, 10:18

Hlaalu wrote:Edited my previous post. :thumbup:

Thanks, did same with my post.
Roland D-20 (1988) | Yamaha EMT-10 (1990) | Yamaha AvantGrand N3 (2013) | Nord Electro 6 HP73 (2021)
ggoebel

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Sponsor

Postby Gambold » 22 Nov 2022, 15:21

>Have you tried the equalizer? <

I almost never use the equalizer for anything. I think equalizing Nord's samples causes more problems than it solves. The only times I've used it is to correct glaring problems in some samples - like the murk of the Nefertiti, the boxiness of the Velvet, or the fact that the treble register on the Imperial was apparently sampled with a five-year old gingerly pressing the keyboard. Other than that I let the samples speak for themselves, warts and all. Isn't that their "character?"

As for the organ, since B3s don't have equalizers, neither should I be using one on Nord's B3 engine. In general I find their organs to be pretty good, although that they eliminated the 9th drawbar/percussion setting on the E6, for no other reason than to be perverse and annoying, really sucks. I mean it's not even a setting option. Large WTF, Clavia.

I think this volume issue is likely the rotary settings or something like that.
Last edited by Gambold on 22 Nov 2022, 15:27, edited 6 times in total.
Nord Electro 6D
Korg SV-2
Yamaha P22
IK Uno Synth
Gambold

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Postby analogika » 22 Nov 2022, 16:55

Gambold wrote:As for the organ, since B3s don't have equalizers, neither should I be using one on Nord's B3 engine.

I get what you're saying, but disagree. Mostly because the Nord is not the equivalent of a Hammond playing through a Leslie in a room, but a Hammond playing through a Leslie in a room recorded with microphones.

As such, the sound is tremendously impacted by the choice of microphones, their placement, their volume balance, and yes, the EQ used by the engineer.

I tweak the organ to try and match my own B3's sound, which I run through a 760, which has separate adjustments for input gain and horn and rotor output volume. It is tweaked to give a nice sizzle and crunch in conjunction with the Leslie preamp, with a respectable bark on percussion.

So even discounting the fact that the sound of the Hammond as heard through a PA or on a recording is heavily affected by choices made by the engineer, the instruments themselves can sound wildly different from one another.

The EQ and distortion are a means to tweak the sound according to musical preference or the preferred sound of the instrument. Not every B3 is a jazz organ.

Gambold wrote:In general I find their organs to be pretty good, although that they eliminated the 9th drawbar/percussion setting on the E6, for no other reason than to be perverse and annoying, really sucks. I mean it's not even a setting option. Large WTF, Clavia.

I understand this, having myself requested the feature back when I got my Electro 2 fifteen years ago ("We'll consider it for a future product release.").

However, in practise, given the availability of presets, I find it far less essential, while the actual functionality that I *really* wanted was never implemented — which is that engaging the percussion switch not only kills the top drawbar, but also triggers the percussion on all keys currently held down.

That's the far bigger omission, IMO.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio

The author analogika was thanked by:
Gambold
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Previous

Return to Nord Electro Forum