Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Figuring settings to match Rock Songs - Especially Tom Petty

Postby bkirtland1 » 21 Oct 2022, 06:40

I just got an Electro 6D for a Tom Petty Tribute Band I just joined. This band wants to sound as close to original as possible. Is there a forum where folks have figured out synth, piano and organ settings to match well known rock songs? Especially on the Nord? Some Petty songs are easy, but I am struggling with "Love is Long Road." Would appreciate any resources folks could offer to match the originals of Petty and other great rock bands. Thanks in advance!
bkirtland1

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Figuring settings to match Rock Songs - Especially Tom Petty

Sponsor

Re: Figuring settings to match Rock Songs - Especially Tom P

Postby Gambold » 25 Oct 2022, 22:49

Benmont Tench is a fine keyboardist to emulate - although I don't think he was that complicated when it came to choosing sounds. He pretty much stuck to Hammonds, Wurlis, and acoustic keyboards. Here are some videos to get an idea of what kind of player he was and what he played:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IAWkM8 ... rdMagazine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P830sY ... rdMagazine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7bBsR_ ... nel=Reverb
Nord Electro 6D
Korg SV-2
Yamaha P22
IK Uno Synth
Gambold

Postby analogika » 26 Oct 2022, 10:16

„Love is a long road“ is some digital synth. A DX7 will probably get close, though it might be some D-50 preset I’m not familiar with. Looking through the sounds in the Library, it seems you could get pretty close with the „FM Keys 3“ sample from here:

https://www.nordkeyboards.com/sound-lib ... y-40/synth

Maybe turn down the filter a bit to soften the attack slightly. But you ought to be able to pass the sample off as „close enough“, methinks.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby FZiegler » 26 Oct 2022, 12:47

Interesting: That "FM Keys3" isn't part of the Sample Lib 3 - so the Sample Lib 4 now seems to offer additional sounds (from the NW2 in this case?). Or can you find it elsewhere? In any case, a v.4 sample won't fit into a NE6.
Last edited by FZiegler on 26 Oct 2022, 12:50, edited 1 time in total.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
FZiegler
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby analogika » 26 Oct 2022, 19:21

Oh. You’re right! Interesting.

They’d better get on with Sample Lib 4 support for the Electro 6/Stage 3, I suppose.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby nateholt75 » 11 Nov 2022, 10:16

Yes, pretty sure Benmont stuck with presets on songs he strayed from acoustic/electro-mechanical pianos and organ. Don't Come Around Here No More is just a string preset on the DX7, and pretty certain You Got Lucky is a preset as well. The way they're mixed can make it difficult to emulate to a T but presets for that stuff Love Is A Long Road etc will do a lot of the work for you :)
nateholt75

Postby TnJedHead » 20 Jan 2024, 03:57

For the record, Gambold is right, Benmont stuck to the classics. It was Mike Cambell (guitar player) who wrote every synth part from You Got Lucky to all tracks on Full Moon Fever. So nateholt75 is also right, except it was Mike who stuck to the basic sounds on the DX7.
TnJedHead

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 2

Postby TnJedHead » 20 Jan 2024, 04:05

Oh, and I’m also trying to figure out this sound on either a LA1 or a E6D. I’ve tried and tried creating it from scratch on the LA1 to no avail. I wish some much more talented synth patch creator would figure out all those classic DX7 sounds and post them. Hint, hint.
TnJedHead

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 2

Postby harmonizer » 21 Jan 2024, 19:16

My favorite "Classic Albums" documentary is the one covering the Tom Petty album "Damn The Torpedos". I occasionally see "Classic Albums" episode reruns pop up on cable.
A small snippet from that documentary covering Benmont's keys playing for "Here Comes My Girl" can be seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3N5jZTLYyw
harmonizer

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 3

Postby Ed On Keys » 27 Feb 2024, 03:04

I also just joined a Tom Petty tribute band and am trying to get all the sounds right. I found some great information on draw bar settings but I'm wrestling with a few of the synth sounds. Do you have any tips on Kings Highway? I'm trying to recreate it on a synth and then import a sample but I'm struggling with getting the sound right.
Ed On Keys

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 4

Next

Return to Nord Electro Forum