General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

problems using output Ch 3&4

Postby rudiratlos » 07 Nov 2022, 12:03

I have a problem using output Ch 3&4 of my nordstage 3. The main output (Ch 1&2) runs over my mixer to the speakers; now I tried in addition to use Ch 3&4 to send in my audio interface for recording with my daw. The problem: The organ is not transmitted over Channel 3 &4. Under the system parameters I have selected output (global) main 1 - 4. Is there a possibility to transmit the identical sound (of Ch 1&2) over Channel 3&4 (also the organs)? :?
rudiratlos
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

problems using output Ch 3&4

Sponsor

Re: problems using output Ch 3&4

Postby FZiegler » 07 Nov 2022, 12:25

Hi, Ch 3&4 are not meant to be just a duplicate of Ch 1&2. If you need that, you have other options:
a) use the phones output;
b) use a DI box with link-out or a signal splitter;
c) use a mixer with monitor/aux out.

To answer your question: The organ can be transmitted on your NS3's Ch 3&4 only if the rotary effect is off. This is a feature that allows you to easily switch from an external rotary unit to internal processing when there is a problem in the signal chain.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars

The author FZiegler was thanked by:
rudiratlos
FZiegler
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby analogika » 07 Nov 2022, 13:32

To expand on FZiegler‘s reply:

The routing options are specifically built to send different signals to separate outputs. If you just want to duplicate outputs 1&2, any DI box you will be hooking up to already has „Link“ outs that split the signal. Any submixer will usually have additional outputs that accomplish the same thing.

There’s no reason to include the functionality within the Nord, and good reasons NOT to:

The common use case is to send the organ to separate outputs in order to run it through a real Leslie (or a better Leslie simulation, like a Neo Vent).

Since the internal architecture only allows for one Leslie model to be running inside the Nord, it makes sense to restrict that to Outputs 1&2:
a) a main point of the additional outputs is the dry organ send (or a synth bass, in my use case), where NOT having a Leslie is the point.
b) the internal Leslie stays available to the other sounds, like piano.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio

The author analogika was thanked by:
rudiratlos
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2

Postby rudiratlos » 07 Nov 2022, 15:41

thank you for the quick replies; I have a quite good DI Box from Palmer, but I don't want to connect something between the stage and the mixer without needing to; then I'd rather quickly plug another cable to the interface.
Last edited by rudiratlos on 07 Nov 2022, 15:41, edited 1 time in total.
rudiratlos
Patch Creator

Postby analogika » 08 Nov 2022, 02:23

Could you just use the main outs from the mixer to go into the interface, while the monitor outs go to your speakers?
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio

The author analogika was thanked by:
docbop
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2

Postby Tasten-Bert » 08 Nov 2022, 11:23

Try using the headphone output as mentioned by FZiegler. I sometimes use this output at rehearsals. It works! At a Stage 3 you‘ll get a copy of output 1 & 2 there. You just need a cable coming from one TRS plug to two TS plugs, separated like an insert cable.
Cheers from Germany
| nord electro 5D 61 and korg X50 on k&m 18880 or 18950 stand | iPad mini 5 with Set List Maker | phonic AM120 submixer |

... and I loved these of my former stuff: nord electro 3, Roland VR-760, Fatar Studio 1100, korg 01/W, Roland U-20
Tasten-Bert
Donator

Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Return to Nord Stage Forum