Nord's classical Virtual Analog Synth Nord LEAD 1/2/2x/3/4/A1 and Nord Rack versions

Nord Lead 3 with midi

Postby New_Nord_User » 20 Oct 2022, 13:49

Hello,

I have just inherited a Nord Lead 3 keyboard. as its rather old it does not have a USB input only a midi input> I have been looking at the Nord sample editor and wondered if it is possible to use the editor to input some new sound into the synth either by using a usb to midi converter or just by the midi input? Any help would be great.

Thnaks

Peter
New_Nord_User

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Nord Lead 3 with midi

Sponsor

Re: Nord Lead 3 with midi

Postby maxpiano » 20 Oct 2022, 13:56

Hi Peter,

I am sorry but Nord Lead 3 does not support Nord Samples (or samples in general), I suggest you read its specs on Nord website and then download also NL3 manual to learn how/what it can do (and cannot) https://www.nordkeyboards.com/downloads/nord-lead-3 (there is also an old specific NL3 Sound Manager but it works up to Windows XP, not sure it will on a more recent OS but you can try)

PS: as you will see, NL3 like all Nord keyboards is primarily a hands-on synth, the real fun is to create sounds on it directly, without using any external editor but just a sysex Librarian to save program dumps.
Last edited by maxpiano on 20 Oct 2022, 14:24, edited 6 times in total.

The author maxpiano was thanked by:
Spider
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby Spider » 20 Oct 2022, 14:03

First of all, the NL3 does not play samples. So the Nord Sample Editor will simply not work.
The Nord Sound Manager is the software used to transfer programs, make full backups etc to/from all Nord intruments. Unfortunately as you discovered, the NL3 was still pre-USB and cannot use the Nord Sound Manager.
But there IS a dedicated software (also called Sound Manager, a bit confusingly) that you can download from the NL3 "downloads" page. It only works with the NL3 and requires a MIDI-USB interface, but it allows you to easily transfer programs and performances, much like the current Nord Sound Manager.

https://www.nordkeyboards.com/downloads/nord-lead-3
Spider

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby New_Nord_User » 20 Oct 2022, 15:10

Thank you both for your help.

Regards

Peter
New_Nord_User

Return to Nord Lead / Rack Forum