Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Electro 6 volume rotary & compressor

Postby AndreP » 19 Oct 2022, 13:58

Hi to all, I am using my Electro 6 on live gigs and have an issue with the organ section. Probably someone is familiar with this and may have a hint for me. When using organ the rotary effect sounds great but sometimes I would like to add some distortion to the sound. Thus I am using the compression effect that will do exactly that. But the effect is synced with the output master volume. So, if I turn down the overall volume (no matter if master or section volume) the distortion effect disappears. I understand that this is the behaviour of a real organ in use, but doesn't help me in my band setting, as I use the organ section volume (as saved to patch) to control my volume within the band.
In other words, I cannot play the distored rotary on low output volumes (I am pretty much sure that was not the case when using the Electro 3). I hope that anybody can teach me better...THX for any help :thanks:
AndreP

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Electro 6 volume rotary & compressor

Sponsor

Re: Electro 6 volume rotary & compressor

Postby Rusty Mike » 19 Oct 2022, 17:46

I’m not in front of my Electro, but I thought the master volume control is independent of anything else and really does just adjust the final output volume. The level of the organ section *should* be more interactive with the distortion management from the COMP/Drive control - I think. Turn UP the Organ section level control (I would recommend max), and use the Master Volume to control your overall output.

This is supported by a note on page 22 of the user manual:
The Rotary Drive is dependent on the level of the input signal. If the instrument routed to the Rotary is set to a very low level, the amount of available drive will be significantly reduced. This is also how it works with the “real articles” – when the organ level is raised, e.g. by using a swell pedal, the amount of distortion also increases.

Are you using a control pedal for volume? For effective organ playing, that would be highly recommended. The organ swell pedal should be very interactive with the drive control, regardless of the master volume setting. I use a Yamaha FC-7, which is a very sturdy pedal and works well with the Electro. You should use it as a control pedal and not volume.
Mike from Central NJ, USA
Tools: Ten fingers, two feet, middle-age brain, questionable judgement and taste
Current Nords: Piano 5 73, Electro 6D 73
Ownership History: Electro 2, Electro 3-73 SW, Electro 3HP, Electro 4D, Stage 2EX 76HP
Rusty Mike

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Return to Nord Electro Forum