Everything about the new Nord Drum and the Nord Beat 2 App.

Auditioning Samples

Postby Jimmi Woods » 28 Sep 2022, 03:45

Hey Guys,
I'm new to the forum and recently acquired the Nord Drum 3p.
I am playing in an electronic live band and we are about to start gigging. At times I would like to be able to modify sounds on the fly.
Is there a way or are there any suggestions to be able to audition sounds through the headphones with out sound coming out of the mixing desk to the audience? Cheers
Jimmi Woods

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Drum 3P

Auditioning Samples

Sponsor

Re: Auditioning Samples

Postby wartaler » 29 Sep 2022, 21:54

Hi Jimmi,

Welcome to the forum!

The headphones output is directly coupled to the main output, same routing and volume control, so it's not possible to audition something on headphones only. However, with a small mixer on stage you should be able to. I know that on Mackie mixers muted tracks are routed to the monitoring section, and when you're happy with the sound, you simply unmute the 3p on the mixer.

Another simple solution: interrupt the audio path from the 3p to the main mixer/amp using a stereo line selector pedal, A/B switcher, or perhaps a stereo volume pedal.

If you don't want to carry extra gear; in theory you could also use the 3p's channel panning. First, connect the L output to the main mixing desk/amp, and R to your personal monitor/headphones amp. Then, by hard panning a drum sound on the 3p, you can route it to either your headphones, or the main mixer. However, in this way you'll in fact be using the 3p in mono. I don't think it's a very practical solution either; the panning is confusing, easily forgotten, and a bit slow. Perhaps a MIDI (foot) controller might be helpful here, but the idea was to not use any extra gear.. The only advantage of this method is perhaps that you could (potentially) audition each drum sound individually before adding it to the mix.

I think a small mixer or a switching pedal are the simplest solutions in case you really need to audition kits during a gig. Personally I would only do some final tweaks during sound check and focus on playing during the gig. For jamming and experimenting perhaps consider a small MIDI controller with some knobs to control a couple of basic parameters such as channel level, (but be careful of MIDI parameter jumps)..

Cheers,
Albert
Last edited by wartaler on 30 Sep 2022, 08:05, edited 14 times in total.
Nord Drum 2, Drum (1), Lead 4, Lead 2x, Stage 'Classic', Micro Modular
wartaler

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Drum 2

Re: Auditioning Samples

Postby Jimmi Woods » 06 Oct 2022, 06:29

Thanks Albert,
Extremely helpful information and clarification. I may invest in a Makie big knob or an A/B foot switch as you’ve suggested. Extra gear but not untypical for a drummer to be carting a heap of stuff around. The main thing I wanted to rule out was if I was missing anything on the Nord 3p. Hopefully an update might be able to add a shift function to turn down the output to the mains. We can but dream. Cheers
Jimmi Woods

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Drum 3P

Return to Nord Drum Forum