General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

DISPLAY black...?

Postby ADSRLFO » 26 Sep 2022, 18:44

Hi ,
After cleaning contacts..once more ! : -(
.Everyrhing's working ,but the display about ( songs etc..) is black !
The other one about oscillators is ok...

Where should i look for...??

Thanks

GR
ADSRLFO

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

DISPLAY black...?

Sponsor

Re: DISPLAY black...?

Postby Kaffimusic » 27 Sep 2022, 14:41

Standard answer: Check the ribboncable that connects it with the board. Pull, clean with Deoxit, reseat. If it still does not work, to service.
Bragging with gear.
Kurzweil PC361, PC3k6, PC4-7, K2, Yam Motif7+ES6, SY77, MM6, DX7 II, ProphetREV2, Polybrute, Roland V-Synth, Waldorf Q, Bgr.Model D, Novation Ultranova, 2xNova Desktop, Mininova, Modal Argon8, UnoSynthPro, Dbox Nymphes, Akai MPC One
Kaffimusic

Postby ADSRLFO » 28 Sep 2022, 08:37

Thanks for your reply...
Not yet , had the time to open the NS3..
But strange behaviour of the display...
During a few days ,at boot the display is on...than after sometimes goes black !
Noticed also that the tuning of some patches is are a semitone higher...?
Today it seems to stay on...?
As soon i can open the NS3 , ...let you know if it"s getting better...?
Thanks for your help

GR
ADSRLFO

Postby Kaffimusic » 28 Sep 2022, 10:08

Sorry, I forgot: The same rules apply to the other connectors.
Generally, connectors between boards have shown to be a bigger thread to reliability in recent years than before. Most likely the companies have started to use cheaper, low quality materials from China. Nord seem to be no exeption from that. I have several older synth, with zero issues in this regard, and I have newer ones, with a lot of problems, that all come back to bad connectors.
In the 80ties and 90ties most electronics came from Japan, today from China. You notice the difference, just by closely looking at it. The plastics look cheaper, are stiffer, sometimes they seem to degrade faster and obviously the used metals tend to corrode faster.
In many cases (naturally not always) you can solve technical issues on your own by carefully opening the instrument and checking all connectors. Stick to the rules to avoid static discharges by earthing yourself beforehand, like touching a radiator or something else that is grounded. Just for safety.
Unplug and always use Deoxit to clean the contacts and reseat them. Often the problem can be solved that way. Deoxit can delay further degrading of the metal surfaces - to some degree.
When you are lucky your instrument works again afterwards. Sometimes I doesn´t, so you need to send it to service.
Bragging with gear.
Kurzweil PC361, PC3k6, PC4-7, K2, Yam Motif7+ES6, SY77, MM6, DX7 II, ProphetREV2, Polybrute, Roland V-Synth, Waldorf Q, Bgr.Model D, Novation Ultranova, 2xNova Desktop, Mininova, Modal Argon8, UnoSynthPro, Dbox Nymphes, Akai MPC One
Kaffimusic

Postby ADSRLFO » 03 Oct 2022, 15:31

Each days the display stays on longuer after going black.....?

A few days ago it stays on all day long ...?

I open it today, replug connector,seems to be ok ...hope it lasts !!! :-)
ADSRLFO

Postby Kaffimusic » 04 Oct 2022, 11:35

Sounds exactly like a connectorproblem works (but others, too :-)
When you open it, I recommend to do the same with the other connectors in reach. Don´t forget Deoxit. It helps greatly. When one starts to be a troublemaker, others might soon follow. Unless you like opening it up repeatedly.
Bragging with gear.
Kaffimusic

Postby ADSRLFO » 04 Oct 2022, 15:34

It didn't last long... : -(
Today, at boot display was ok ...but all sounds were one tone higher...!
I restart the NS3...no display !!!
Sounds are at the right pitch now , and everything (a part the black screen..) seems to be ok....

Wha do you suggest ..??

Wich kind of deoxit should i buy...it seems there are many kinds ...?

Thanks for your help

GR
ADSRLFO

Postby Berretje » 04 Oct 2022, 15:48

ADSRLFO wrote:Wha do you suggest ..??
GR

Contact a service center / dealer and let them fix the issue.
Gr Bart

Coverband Blush
Nord User Sounds - Program/Sample Collection

>> Check this awesome website to visually view the settings of your NS2/NS3 programs!

Current gear
Nord Stage 2 HA88
Yamaha Tyros 5
Connected with a MioXM and powered by Bandhelper
Berretje

Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby Kaffimusic » 04 Oct 2022, 15:58

Well... this does not sound good.
Deoxit D5 is the standard for contacts+everything that is plugged in.
Deoxit F5 is for everything that moves like pots and encoders. Helps to avoid complete exchange of an encoder. With older gear sometimes hard to find.
Maybe, just maybe, the connectionproblem is to be found elsewhere in the machine and results in what you see. I do not know about the NS, never looked into problems of that one. Sometimes components like a display are plugged into a board that is connected elsewhere and has a problem in itself.
All I would try to do is check every connection, unplug it, treat it with D5, replug and hope the machine runs stable. If it does not help, it needs to go to service.
Or if you do not dare to work inside of it more than you already did, to service now. This might be a hardwaredefect, too, and this is nothing a common musician can repair.
When the instrument is out of warranty and you do not know a good servicecenter in France, I can recommend Achim Lendzgen from synthesizerservice.de. He is a guy "that knows stuff" and repairs Nord in Germany. You have to send it to Germany then. But since we live in the EU, this should be no problem or extra cost.
I had some repairs done for Kurzweils for me there, and they know what they are doing.
When you are close to Germany (like Alsace), you can also go to "werkstattfuermusiker.de", they are in Neustadt, Palatinade. The boss, Thorsten Trojan does synth repairs and I also consider him trustworthy.
Good luck.
Last edited by Kaffimusic on 04 Oct 2022, 16:07, edited 3 times in total.
Bragging with gear.
Kaffimusic

Postby ADSRLFO » 06 Oct 2022, 19:24

Waiting for Deoxit to open the NS3...
:keyboard:
I wonder , if it's a contact problem , why it stays sometimes , a long time on,.. before going black ...?
and why the second display stays always on !!
:? :? :?:
ADSRLFO

Next

Return to Nord Stage Forum