Everything about the new Nord Drum and the Nord Beat 2 App.

Nord Drum 2 Vs Nord Drum 3P Pads

Postby PlanarBeing » 30 Sep 2022, 13:22

Greetings,
I have Nord Drum 2 and I'm thinking of purchasing Nord Drum 3p. I haven't played the Nord Drum 2 very much because I couldn't get used to the response of the pads -- too hard for my liking. Do the Nord Drum 3p pads feel any different? I'm hoping for something a little springier, but I guess they are much the same in both versions. Any advice appreciated. Thanks for reading.
Last edited by PlanarBeing on 30 Sep 2022, 13:28, edited 1 time in total.
PlanarBeing

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Drum 2

Nord Drum 2 Vs Nord Drum 3P Pads

Sponsor

Re: Nord Drum 2 Vs Nord Drum 3P Pads

Postby wartaler » 30 Sep 2022, 23:57

Hi PlanarBeing,

Welcome to the forum!

Pretty sure it's the same, I never played them next to each other, but didn't notice a difference when I tried the 3p in a store..
The advantage of the 2 is that you can connect other pads to it, has a couple of sound parameters more, but lacks the reverb and delay effects.

I agree the rubber feels quite stiff, did you try other sticks, or different velocity curves/settings, to optimize it to your playing style?

Cheers,
Albert
Last edited by wartaler on 30 Sep 2022, 23:57, edited 1 time in total.
Nord Drum 2, Drum (1), Lead 4, Lead 2x, Stage 'Classic', Micro Modular

The author wartaler was thanked by:
PlanarBeing
wartaler

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic

Postby PlanarBeing » 01 Oct 2022, 03:57

^Thank you, Albert. Yes, I tried to optimize all possible settings, a whole bunch of different sticks, etc. I loved the sounds, but I couldn't get any pleasure out of actually striking that surface. It's been years, but I remember it being a bit laborious setting up (copying, etc.) the ideal set of sounds that I liked across the 6 pads too.
So I got into alternative controllers, like the Linnstrument, Roli Seaboard, etc., to add a bit of fun to my guitar playing. Those surfaces, too, have their limitations, in terms of feel.
I used to own the original Roland Octapad decades ago and that had an even harder surface, out of the question for me.
So, I guess it's just not possible to mimic the kind of feel that the best full sets (or actual traditional instruments) have. I tried out a bunch of electronic drums back in the day, but there was only one that felt natural to me, as far as I remember. But, of course, the full sets take up a whole lot of space and are too pricey for someone who wouldn't play them regularly, in any case.
The 3p seems like it might be a little easier to set up, but I haven't gone into it in detail.
Thanks again.
Edit: Funny how even a few words exchanged can enliven one's interest! Yeah, I took out the ND2, after years and years (!) and the action is not quite as hard as I'd imagined. I think that the unfamiliarity of my arms striking something in that drumming motion has a lot to do with it. I'd imagine that drummers have tremendous control and nuance along that axis. For a guitar player, the picking arm action is peculiar and very different. Also, the left arm is totally unaccustomed to that kind of striking motion. So I just have to learn how to do that better. I remember taking a set of drumsticks when I was out walking, but the left arm was really uncoordinated and I gave up and got a(nother) saxophone. The body itches to move... no matter what!
Last edited by PlanarBeing on 01 Oct 2022, 05:41, edited 1 time in total.
PlanarBeing

Postby tronque » 02 Oct 2022, 13:01

Hello,
To eliminate the weird feeling when playing rubber pads I can recommend Zildjians Anti-Vibe series drumsticks. It really works for me.
/C

The author tronque was thanked by:
PlanarBeing
tronque

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Drum 3P

Postby PlanarBeing » 02 Oct 2022, 13:39

^Thanks for the tip, Tronque. I'll have to check them out.
Edit: checked some reviews on their website, saying that the new sticks are not as good as the old. Part falls out, rougher wood.

I can confirm that the pads are the same on ND2 & ND3. Just got the latter at a reasonable price.
Last edited by PlanarBeing on 02 Oct 2022, 13:59, edited 2 times in total.
PlanarBeing

Return to Nord Drum Forum