Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

how do I link piano 5 to my laptop for updates?

Postby pianomanca10 » 25 Sep 2022, 16:06

hi all, new piano 5 owner. how do I link my nord to my computer for updates? are there instructions where go go online? how do we do this for latest upgrades, etc?
thank you!
pianomanca10

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5

how do I link piano 5 to my laptop for updates?

Sponsor

Re: how do I link piano 5 to my laptop for updates?

Postby Spider » 25 Sep 2022, 16:16

Hi and welcome to the forum. All your posts so far have been very basic questions, easily answered by the manual. I'd suggest reading it first (it's only a few pages) and experimenting with your new Nord Piano, it's the best way to learn!
Remember to turn off Memory Protect first, otherwise you won't be able to save your customized settings.
And don't worry about deleting or replacing sounds, you can always do a factory restore to return your unit to "as-new" state!
Spider

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby maxpiano » 25 Sep 2022, 16:25

pianomanca10 wrote:hi all, new piano 5 owner. how do I link my nord to my computer for updates? are there instructions where go go online? how do we do this for latest upgrades, etc?
thank you!

You haven't yet read the NP5 manual, right...? Not so good, it is all written there.... ;)
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (66.52 KiB) Viewed 1633 times
Last edited by maxpiano on 25 Sep 2022, 22:19, edited 2 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby WannitBBBad » 25 Sep 2022, 16:36

Hello, and welcome to the Forum! Ditto to the above - I'd suggest reading the manual and visiting the Nord Keyboards website (https://www.nordkeyboards.com/downloads/nord-piano-5) for the latest Operating System (OS) updates and other information. Good luck!
Nord Stage 3 | SC Prophet T8 | Korg X50... In the past: Nord Stage EX, 2, 2EX | SC Prophet 5, 10 | MiniMoog | Hammond B3 & 122 Leslie | Yamaha DX7IIFD, EX5, CP60 | Hohner D6 | Fender Rhodes | Roland S-50, D-50, XP-50...
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator

Postby pianomanca10 » 27 Sep 2022, 00:58

read the manual. but it doesn't clarify. allow me to clarify...

all it says is usb.
usb then what?

so you plug a usb from your computer to your nord? then what? do you go to a website? do you download something? does it just update automatically with prompts? all you have to do is plug it in and it links and updates itself?

further, I see in this forum that there are lots of program sound updates it looks like that can be downloaded. how does one download them? when you plug in the USB does some program pop up that allows you to interface and download?

or is the general takeaway here "just plug in the USB and it'll do what it do."?
pianomanca10

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5

Postby FZiegler » 27 Sep 2022, 07:53

Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
FZiegler
Donator

Postby catosim » 27 Sep 2022, 08:10

pianomanca10 wrote:read the manual. but it doesn't clarify. allow me to clarify...

all it says is usb.
usb then what?

so you plug a usb from your computer to your nord? then what? do you go to a website? do you download something? does it just update automatically with prompts? all you have to do is plug it in and it links and updates itself?

further, I see in this forum that there are lots of program sound updates it looks like that can be downloaded. how does one download them? when you plug in the USB does some program pop up that allows you to interface and download?

or is the general takeaway here "just plug in the USB and it'll do what it do."?

Nothing happens automatically. This is to prevent that you loose programs or perform updates you maybe don't want.
It's just as with your phone, you'll have to confirm and actively perform any OS updates or installation on this device.

First off all, you need to clarify if your NP5 actually needs an OS update. The lates available OS for NP5 is 1.24. When booting the NP5, you will be able to read your current OS in the display during the boot.
IF you have an earlier OS version (than 1.24), then you can decide to perform an OS update, as described here: https://www.nordkeyboards.com/sites/def ... ctions.pdf
It's easier if you are a Mac-user, since you don't have to bother about any USB-driver as described in the section about Windows USB Driver (bottom of page 1 in the very same update-instructions).

One other possibilities with the USB connection is to connect your instrument with The Nord Sound Manager. This is a program designed to organise the content of your instrument, swap samples, perform backups etc. FZiegler provided some useful links above.
Have a cup of coffee and carefully read the descriptions twice, best of luck :thumbup:
Last edited by catosim on 27 Sep 2022, 08:15, edited 2 times in total.
Gear: Nord Stage 4, Nord Stage 3, Nord Lead A1, Ensoniq TS12, Roland D50, Roland D05, Roland JD08, Hammond A100, Hammond M100, Yamaha GT2, Yamaha Motif 6, Virus B
catosim

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum