Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Re: I made a DIY pitch / mod stick

Postby maxpiano » 21 Sep 2022, 17:58

vcfvca wrote:Yes that could be an option. I wonder how many players would need it. I prefer to have the programs in sequence for each song and use step/advance.

Well it may be useful for example if you need to ping pong between two Programs (say one for Verse and the other for Chorus of the same song)
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Sponsor

Postby JVSalazar » 24 Sep 2022, 07:40

vcfvca wrote:Here is an update on my electrobox Pitch Bend controller. The first release will only have Pitch Bend. The Mod Wheel option will be added to the second version. This new version adds an Extra Channel function so you can use your Electro with another synth and use Pitch Wheel and Octave Shift. Hoping to have real photos and a video soon!

electrobox.png
ebox1.png

Features:

Pitch bend - uses a standard sprung pitch wheel to control the Ext to Lo ( Channel 16)
Freely assignable Split Point - split the keyboard anywhere! Or just use the fixed Electro splits
Mono Mode - for playing synth lead/bass or any monophonic instrument
Flip - swap Upper and Lower parts
Program Advance - use a foot switch to advance to the next program
Midi Activity LED

Use the MIDI Out to connect your Electro to another module and use as a simple controller keyboard!

Extra Channel - this uses Channel 2 and is always active.
Octave Shift on the Extra Channel +/- 3 octaves set from the Electro
Pitch Bend on the Extra Channel

The electrobox case is red and made from aluminium. USB powered with standard MIDI In/Out.

Would you be putting the finalized version up for sale at some point? The work you've done so far is incredible. So the Extra Channel function on the second version would act essentially like the extern function on the Nord stage?
JVSalazar

Postby vcfvca » 24 Sep 2022, 20:44

The extra channel is very basic - fixed to Channel 2, octave shift and volume control. The Stage has a lot more options. When I finish the project I will look at the costs and time. The box has taken the most time. They need to be done professionally. If that is too expensive it could be supplied as a kit.

Expect a video in a few days.
vcfvca

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Postby vcfvca » 26 Sep 2022, 13:20

Hardware completed and now working on the graphics for a stick on transfer. I am surprised how much space the Pitch Wheel took so I am going back to the thumbwheel joystick. It's more ergonomic and I can use a low profile box (like a stomp box) and has scope for LFO Modulation.

electrobox.jpg
electrobox.jpg (192.76 KiB) Viewed 1714 times

electroboxmini.jpg
electroboxmini.jpg (1.87 MiB) Viewed 1714 times

The author vcfvca was thanked by 3 members, including:
BerretjeTraciiziberto
vcfvca

Postby tsss27 » 01 Oct 2022, 06:39

If there was a simple left-right joystick (or even better, sort of angled like the Nords) with a MIDI-out, I'd buy one. Not even for a Nord, but because my keyboard has a standard wheel and for some bender techniques a stick works better so it's nice to have both!

The author tsss27 was thanked by:
vcfvca
tsss27
Patch Creator

Postby vcfvca » 01 Oct 2022, 11:52

tsss27 wrote:If there was a simple left-right joystick (or even better, sort of angled like the Nords) with a MIDI-out, I'd buy one. Not even for a Nord, but because my keyboard has a standard wheel and for some bender techniques a stick works better so it's nice to have both!

Yes both is the way to go. Some Rolands have the Bender and Wheels. The problem with full size Pitch/Mod Wheels is the amount of space they need. It's not an issue when they are in the keyboard casing - but in an external box the height has to be at 5cm plus - and that makes it too high. It doesn't look good either. If I could source a few MicroKorg wheels they would fit into a smaller case. Remember that the wheel is attached to a pot which is mounted on a large steel bracket.

I'm thinking a small mod wheel + thumbwheel joystick.......

UPDATE:

2 buffered MIDI OUTS - 1 for the Electro and the other for the Extra Channel
The Extra Channel (for controlling external synths etc.) can be set to any MIDI Channel - stored in memory.
Standard USB Type B socket
Rotary pot for Extra Channel Volume CC7
Last edited by vcfvca on 01 Oct 2022, 11:58, edited 1 time in total.

The author vcfvca was thanked by:
ziberto
vcfvca

Postby JVSalazar » 02 Oct 2022, 08:22

One suggestion I have for the mod wheel version is to make it assignable to any CC rather than just the mod wheel CC (which is 1 if I'm not mistaken). That way when you route it back into the Electro, it can still be usable as the Electro cannot assign mod wheel CC to anything as far I know. Could maybe allow for some creative effects for solos.
Last edited by JVSalazar on 02 Oct 2022, 08:23, edited 1 time in total.
JVSalazar

Postby vcfvca » 02 Oct 2022, 23:16

JVSalazar wrote:One suggestion I have for the mod wheel version is to make it assignable to any CC rather than just the mod wheel CC (which is 1 if I'm not mistaken). That way when you route it back into the Electro, it can still be usable as the Electro cannot assign mod wheel CC to anything as far I know. Could maybe allow for some creative effects for solos.

I have used the Joystick Y axis to control Effect 2 depth - if you set it to Vibe you can get close to LFO Pitch modulation. There's a limit to what you can do before it gets too complicated. At the moment the Extra Channel from MIDI OUT 2 is set using the lowest C on the 61 up to Eb = Midi Channel 1-16. You could assign a controller in the same way but you would have to look it up.

Here's the latest iteration. The knob is currently controlling Volume (CC7) of the Extra Channel. The next plan is to add the thumbwheel joystick instead of a second wheel - the wheels take up too much room.

EBOX2.jpg
EBOX2.jpg (2.28 MiB) Viewed 1505 times
Ebox PCB
EBOX PCB.png
EBOX PCB.png (264.63 KiB) Viewed 1504 times
Last edited by vcfvca on 02 Oct 2022, 23:20, edited 3 times in total.

The author vcfvca was thanked by:
ziberto
vcfvca

Postby TurkeyRobinson » 13 Aug 2023, 12:20

Very nice!
Would this project only work with Electro as it has Midi Pitch Bend listen capability?
Or is there a workaround DIY kit that would work with the Nord Grand or Piano series that doesn’t seem to have PB Midi listen capability? Kinda frustrating given the sample based synth engine, although 90% of what I wanted is the piano (hence Grand selection) and not a full blown monster in the Stage Series.
TurkeyRobinson

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Grand

Postby vcfvca » 14 Aug 2023, 18:59

It will only work with the Electros as they have the External to Lo option. The Electro accepts MIDI on the External channel and provides Pitch Bend. My box was designed to allow me split the Electro without using a 2nd board. It does a whole lot of other stuff like vibrato and mono mode.

A great option is to get a Roland APRO 800. It worked great as a 2nd board.

I built V2 of the Electrobox - but the parts cost nearly as much as a 2nd board!
Attachments
IMG_2048.jpeg
Electrobox 2
IMG_2048.jpeg (1.85 MiB) Viewed 936 times

The author vcfvca was thanked by 4 members, including:
Mr_-G-Berretjeaudiosziberto
vcfvca

PreviousNext

Return to Nord Electro Forum