General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), and Nord Stage 3 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Keeping a drum loop going.

Postby Parkhouse2 » 22 Sep 2022, 01:03

I bought a set of patches for my Nord Stage 3 from Synthcloud. One song, “Take on Me “ by Aha has the parts on 3 different programs. I loaded these into one Song in song mode. The first program has the drum loop but when I switch to the next part/program the drum loop stops. I have tried keeping the sustain pedal on which only sometimes works. Any idea how to always keep the loop going when switching between parts ?
Parkhouse2

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Keeping a drum loop going.

Sponsor

Re: Keeping a drum loop going.

Postby WannitBBBad » 22 Sep 2022, 06:01

Hello, and welcome to the Forum! As you've found out, the sustain will carry the drums but drop out once released to use the next program's sounds. Using the programs you have, you could try sampling them so that the samples you create include the drum pattern for each program used. With that approach you'd simply retrigger the drums when you switch programs. It's extremely easy to sample with the Nord Sample Editor 4 if you want to try it. I've used the "easy button" on occasion - putting the drum pattern on an iPod and playing it into the auxiliary input. Good luck to you!
Nord Stage 3 / SC Prophet T8 / Korg X50... In the past: Nord Stage EX, 2, 2EX / SC Prophet 5 / SC Prophet 10 / MiniMoog / Hammond B3 w 122 Leslie / Yamaha DX7IIFD w E! / Yamaha EX5 / Yamaha CP60 / Hohner D6 / Fender Rhodes / Roland S-50, D-50, XP-50...
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator

Postby Parkhouse2 » 22 Sep 2022, 09:43

Many thanks. I wanted to avoid external devices and re starting the drum loop each time I change programs. May try moving all the samples and 3 programs into one program with multiple split zones maybe across 2 panels . Will see if the drum loop carries on between panels A and B within the same program.
Parkhouse2

Postby maxpiano » 22 Sep 2022, 10:01

Parkhouse2 wrote:Many thanks. I wanted to avoid external devices and re starting the drum loop each time I change programs. May try moving all the samples and 3 programs into one program with multiple split zones maybe across 2 panels . Will see if the drum loop carries on between panels A and B within the same program.

That would work (switching panels) but in general using drum loops sample are for me somehow forcing the Nord Stage to make something which is not in its intended scope of use, as discussed in many similar threads, it would be much easier to use an external device for drum loops (even just a smartphone/tablet with a good app) and connect it to Monitor IN of the NS and also via USB (if needed)

Having said that, have you tried to use the Synth KB Hold switch on the section playing the loop instead? With seamless transition active it should continue to play also when you switch program, to be tested anyway.
Last edited by maxpiano on 22 Sep 2022, 11:20, edited 4 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby Parkhouse2 » 22 Sep 2022, 21:52

Just found out in Nord Sample Editor you cannot modify or edit existing Nord sample/ program files so I can’t tweak or rearrange any of them ! Don’t think there is any software out there to let me do what I want unless I create the samples and arrange the programs myself.
Parkhouse2

Postby WannitBBBad » 22 Sep 2022, 23:25

Parkhouse2 wrote:Just found out in Nord Sample Editor you cannot modify or edit existing Nord sample/ program files so I can’t tweak or rearrange any of them ! Don’t think there is any software out there to let me do what I want unless I create the samples and arrange the programs myself.

Correct, NSMP3 sample files can't be edited without the source files, however you would be surprised at how easy Nord has made it to make your own samples with the NSE4. It's worth playing around with just to learn even if it doesn't work out in this particular case. Good luck!
Nord Stage 3 / SC Prophet T8 / Korg X50... In the past: Nord Stage EX, 2, 2EX / SC Prophet 5 / SC Prophet 10 / MiniMoog / Hammond B3 w 122 Leslie / Yamaha DX7IIFD w E! / Yamaha EX5 / Yamaha CP60 / Hohner D6 / Fender Rhodes / Roland S-50, D-50, XP-50...
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator

Postby Parkhouse2 » 23 Sep 2022, 01:38

Will do !
Parkhouse2

Postby Kaffimusic » 27 Sep 2022, 13:27

Without me knowing the exact setup for this... you wrote about it´s 3 programs. With that you might have to face that the NS has come to it´s limits. Replaying samples eats up one program. When you have two (synth) programs going on makes a total of 3, but the NS can just generate 2 at one time. As soon as you need the third sound while the loop should go on playing, you have a problem. So you can just play the loop and one synth program the same time.
For more complex setups the NS is simply not powerful enough.
Bragging with gear.
Kurzweil PC361, PC3k6, PC4-7, K2000, Yam Motif7, MotifES6, SY77, MM6, DX7 II, Prophet REV2, Roland V-Synth, Waldorf Q, Behringer Model D, Novation Ultranova, 2xNova Desktop, Mininova, Modal Argon8, Dreadbox Nymphes, Akai MPC One
Kaffimusic

Postby WannitBBBad » 27 Sep 2022, 19:20

Kaffimusic wrote:Without me knowing the exact setup for this... you wrote about it´s 3 programs. With that you might have to face that the NS has come to it´s limits. Replaying samples eats up one program. When you have two (synth) programs going on makes a total of 3, but the NS can just generate 2 at one time. As soon as you need the third sound while the loop should go on playing, you have a problem. So you can just play the loop and one synth program the same time.
For more complex setups the NS is simply not powerful enough.

It would be interesting to see if the relative content of the 3 programs could be merged into two samples. The keyboard range needed for individual parts of the song is somewhat limited, so maybe possible. My samples for "How Will I Know" and "Word Up" especially had several keyboard parts mapped across the keyboard. nord-user-samples-nsmp-samples-f14/40-samples-t21907.html
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator

Return to Nord Stage Forum