Share your complete Nord Stage 2 programs/patches including sample sets (nsmp files) used, including mp3 previews.
Forum rules
How to get the MP3-Player:
Upload a MP3 file where you play some notes using your sample.
Click the "PLACE INLINE" button after uploading the MP3 sample in order to automatically create a Flash MP3 player in your post!
Also check the Forum Rules, in particular rule #6 about the sharing of programs and samples.

These Eyes by the Guess Who

Postby dcraftfrombr » 10 Sep 2022, 02:10

still trying to find the best sound for "These Eyes".
Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dale
dcraftfrombr

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

These Eyes by the Guess Who

Sponsor

Re: These Eyes by the Guess Who

Postby Tasten-Bert » 10 Sep 2022, 13:23

Hi Dale,

at first sight resp. listening it’s a rather dry Wurlitzer, so no or almost no reverb. Maybe a little bit of short Flanger or Chorus.

I guess who’s trying with this as a base gets already close to it.

Cheers and good luck.
Last edited by Tasten-Bert on 10 Sep 2022, 13:28, edited 1 time in total.
| nord electro 5D 61 and korg X50 on k&m 18880 or 18950 stand | iPad mini 5 with Set List Maker | phonic AM120 submixer |

... and I loved these of my former stuff: nord electro 3, Roland VR-760, Fatar Studio 1100, korg 01/W, Roland U-20
Tasten-Bert
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby wtibbit » 10 Sep 2022, 17:38

Tasten-Bert is correct. The studio version of the song is clearly a Wurlitzer. [Edit): Tasten-Bert and ("Clearly") I were both wrong.... It's a Hohner Pianet.....

The OP's question made me think again about how much time I spend trying to find the closest possible match to a keyboard part's sound on a recording. Consider this; Burton Cummings, who wrote, sang and played the "keyboard" on These Eyes, wasn't all that interested in reproducing the sound of that studio's Wurlitzer when when performed the song after it was released. Here's evidence of that: He's playing a grand piano on the TV show Midnight Special. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AObsmF9 ... F9P7U4&t=2

I suspect that - in most cases - my time is better spent getting the left hand part, the phrasing and the feel of songs correct than getting the patches exactly like some recording of the sound. There are exceptions. I'm still trying to find a way to reproduce the sound of the intro on Won't Get Fooled Again. Even The Who used the pre-recorded track of that when playing live (and so did my bands!).
Last edited by wtibbit on 11 Sep 2022, 02:35, edited 1 time in total.
wtibbit
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5

Postby changearound » 10 Sep 2022, 18:34

It sounds like a Pianet to me.
changearound

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2

Postby wtibbit » 11 Sep 2022, 00:51

wtibbit wrote:Tasten-Bert is correct. The studio version of the song is clearly a Wurlitzer. The OP's question made me think again about how much time I spend trying to find the closest possible match to a keyboard part's sound on a recording. Consider this; Burton Cummings, who wrote, sang and played the "keyboard" on These Eyes, wasn't all that interested in reproducing the sound of that studio's Wurlitzer when he performed the song after it was released. Here's evidence of that: He's playing a grand piano on the TV show Midnight Special. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AObsmF9 ... F9P7U4&t=2

I suspect that - in most cases - my time is better spent getting the left hand part, the phrasing and the feel of songs correct than getting the patches exactly like some recording of the sound. There are exceptions. I'm still trying to find a way to reproduce the sound of the intro on Won't Get Fooled Again. Even The Who used the pre-recorded track of that when playing live (and so did my bands!).
wtibbit
Donator

Postby wtibbit » 11 Sep 2022, 01:12

changearound wrote:It sounds like a Pianet to me.

After listening carefully to These Eyes and to Pianet recordings (early Chicago tour videos are one example), as well as Nords Pianet sample, I think changearound is right. It's a Hohner Pianet. https://www.nordkeyboards.com/sound-lib ... r-pianet-n.
wtibbit
Donator

Postby Tasten-Bert » 12 Sep 2022, 16:14

Hmm, I must admit that I never had a Pianet under my fingers.

Having thought a bit about these two sound sources - Pianet or Wurlitzer - and the way a nord can handle a piano sample with various dynamic levels and touch feel in the piano section or a sample of the Sound Library with one dynamic level only in the Synth/Sample section I think I‘d always choose the piano file if the sounds are so close together as they are here. Inspiration grows while playing.

Cheers, for the next two weeks from sunny Italy
| nord electro 5D 61 and korg X50 on k&m 18880 or 18950 stand | iPad mini 5 with Set List Maker | phonic AM120 submixer |

... and I loved these of my former stuff: nord electro 3, Roland VR-760, Fatar Studio 1100, korg 01/W, Roland U-20
Tasten-Bert
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby changearound » 14 Sep 2022, 23:03

I've never played a real Pianet either but it's my understanding that they are extremely limited when it comes to touch sensitivity so the synth section can do a reasonable job at emulating it with a single layer sample.

Here's my attempt at recreating the sound. I'm using the Pianet PH sample with some tremolo and the JC amp sim. The Filter is at 88 Hz with Freq Mod 2 Velocity 10 and Mod Env Velocity and Amp Env Velocity both on.
Attachments
These Eyes Pianet.mp3
(229.77 KiB) Downloaded 402 times

The author changearound was thanked by 2 members, including:
wtibbitWannitBBBad
changearound

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2

Postby WannitBBBad » 15 Sep 2022, 00:58

Nice sound!
Nord Stage 3 | SC Prophet T8 | Korg X50... In the past: Nord Stage EX, 2, 2EX | SC Prophet 5, 10 | MiniMoog | Hammond B3 & 122 Leslie | Yamaha DX7IIFD, EX5, CP60 | Hohner D6 | Fender Rhodes | Roland S-50, D-50, XP-50...
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby LeftyBass68 » 27 Oct 2023, 16:42

Main issue is no sustain pedal with a Hohner Pianet.Lent mine to Burton Cummings on four gigs I opened for Guess Who BEFORE These Eyes in 1968.
Wurli reeds close enough along with a synth to produce a 'pluck',mine was NEW and IN TUNE in 1968,and why Burton 'borrowed' mine.His was trashed.
In 1977 he returned the favor and lent me the White Steinway...when opening for him again.....yes he remembered my Pianet.
NS3C NS2EX88 C2D Yamaha MOX8 Behringer Model D (5) Behringer Neutron (5) Roland Lucina AX9 12 Hammonds/Leslies.(BV/BCV/B2/3 A100's/M3/M102 etc.
LeftyBass68

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Return to Nord Stage 2 Programs (*.ns2p files)