This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Re: Is it safe to vacuum-clean a keyboard?

Postby docbop » 22 Aug 2022, 23:32

From working with in IT and dealing with printers and similar device they all say use a vacuum cleaner not compressed air. So when possible I will use a small vacuum. Otherwise I will use compressed air from a distance not close then use a piece of t-shirt or some soft cloth to wipe things down. I also have a cloth keyboard cover for at night. I live in the desert so lots of very fine dust in the air.

The author docbop was thanked by:
Elias
docbop

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Sponsor

Postby Ledbetter » 23 Aug 2022, 04:11

Ever blow canned air into your expensive keyboard or audio devices. Worst invention ever. Open it up and clean out the dust.
Nord Stage 3, Electro 5D, 4D, Lead 2x, Moog Voyager, Little and Slim Phatties, Kawai KG-2C 6 foot grand,

The author Ledbetter was thanked by:
Elias
Ledbetter
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby Elias » 23 Aug 2022, 07:13

I should probably clarify my previous suggestion:
Compressed air should only be used with the instrument opened up and all the sensitive parts removed.
Last edited by Elias on 23 Aug 2022, 22:03, edited 2 times in total.
User-created Stage 2/3 file viewer: https://ns3-program-viewer.cyclic.app
Art is a great excuse to meet another human.
Elias

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby Spider » 23 Aug 2022, 09:26

Always vacuumed my keyboards, includint all the holes, slots and spaces between the keys, buttons, etc.
Never had a problem even with strong vacuuming, in a couple of instances I actually noticed an improvement when some buttons were slightly misfunctioning (double-clicks or missing some clicks) and after vacuuming they were working flawlessly again.

If the keyboard (and your power grid) is properly grounded, I see no problem with static charges. Just vacuum with the instrument turned off, and before turning it on again touch it several times to discharge any static. Anyway, I think that with a few seconds of vacuuming it's VERY difficult to build up a static charge so strong that it burns the components.
Last edited by Spider on 23 Aug 2022, 09:30, edited 1 time in total.

The author Spider was thanked by:
GuyTilde
Spider

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby Mr_-G- » 23 Aug 2022, 16:16

:?
The power inlet of the NS2 (and some others) is a "figure of 8" connector, which has 2 connecting wires with NO ground...
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby Berretje » 23 Aug 2022, 17:56

Yeah, just clean the damn thing :D

Just use your common sense when doing so (don't put a bucket of water into the device) :thumbup:
Gr Bart

Coverband Blush
Nord User Sounds - Program/Sample Collection

>> Check this awesome website to visually view the settings of your NS2/NS3 programs!

Current gear
Nord Stage 2 HA88
Yamaha Tyros 5
Connected with a MioXM and powered by Bandhelper
Berretje

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby analogika » 23 Aug 2022, 18:15

You'll be fine vacuuming the OUTSIDE of the machine (except for maybe knobs coming off and disappearing into the vacuum cleaner). If static discharge were an issue on the front panel, the design team would desperately need to be fired.

Regarding the INSIDE of digital electronics, I would never vacuum any circuit board with chips on it, as static discharge can definitely damage things at that scale. Compressed air only, here.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio

The author analogika was thanked by:
Elias
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby pterm » 23 Aug 2022, 19:03

analogika wrote:You'll be fine vacuuming the OUTSIDE of the machine (except for maybe knobs coming off and disappearing into the vacuum cleaner). If static discharge were an issue on the front panel, the design team would desperately need to be fired.

I can't tell from pictures of the OLEDs and LCDs (on older units) if Nord puts a glass window in the chassis to protect the OLED/LED glass. I suspect not. So I suggest caution around the displays. Always touch the metal chassis (to discharge static electricity) before touching the glass (if you wish to clean it).

The dielectric breakdown strength of glass is only about 10kV/mm. If you can feel a static discharge on your finger, it exceeds 3.5kV, so discharges exceeding 10kV are easily possible. Be extra careful with metal items (e.g., vacuum nozzles or screwdrivers) - their sharp edges and low electrical resistance concentrate charges and produce higher voltages. -- Make sure your vacuum nozzle/brush is non-conductive (e.g., plastic, horsehair).
Last edited by pterm on 24 Aug 2022, 15:35, edited 2 times in total.
pterm
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3

Previous

Return to General Nord Forum