This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Change program on 2 Nords w/ a single button press

Postby NordJunkie » 17 Aug 2022, 20:45

I've got a Nord Stage 3 and a Nord Electro 5. I would like to use these in a single setup. When changing the preset on one of the keyboards, I would like the other to change to a pre-assigned preset.

How can this be done w/o any external hardware?

Thanks in advance!
NordJunkie

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Change program on 2 Nords w/ a single button press

Sponsor

Re: Change program on 2 Nords w/ a single button press

Postby FZiegler » 17 Aug 2022, 20:56

Some recommend an iPod or the like for that sort of tasks. The other possibility would be the Extern section of your Stage 3 - you would need to add a MIDI command to every program on the Stage 3, sent on the Extern MIDI channel together with the "Send on load" option.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
FZiegler
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby Tasten-Bert » 18 Aug 2022, 06:50

Hi NordJunkie,

I can add some info from NE5 side: this keyboard only sends Program Up or Program Down MIDI code while you dial its PROG/MENU wheel, which means 1 click = 1 program step. Not very comfortable for a flexible evening setlist. You would have to set up both keyboards in an identical program order to benefit from this.

The app Set List Maker with the MIDI add on can do the job. I can even connect two keyboards simultaneously with my iPad, using different MIDI channels, and then just swipe from one song to the next while seeing the boards switching their programs. You need to insert the MSB, LSB and program codes for the nord to change.

Needs an iPad, the app, the camera connection kit and a cable like this:

https://www.thomann.de/de/esi_midimate_ex.htm

Cheers from Germany
| nord electro 5D 61 and korg X50 on k&m 18880 or 18950 stand | iPad mini 5 with Set List Maker | phonic AM120 submixer |

... and I loved these of my former stuff: nord electro 3, Roland VR-760, Fatar Studio 1100, korg 01/W, Roland U-20
Tasten-Bert
Donator

Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby Eriknie » 18 Aug 2022, 07:41

You can do this also without the midi-cable
I use a USB hub with two USB cables to my Wave 2 and Stage 3.
I needed this because I have my wave 2 also midi'd to my stage to play organ on the Wave 2.

In the end i could also remove the midi-cable between the Wave 2 and Stage as I use midi-fire on my iPad and could connect the midi-out of the wave-2 to midi-in of stage 3 via USB in that software!
NP5-73, NS3C
QSheets: The fastest sheet display tool in the world that plays Audio and send Program Changes: https://QSheets.eriknie.synology.me
FixLoop: Add Loop Points of Wav Files into the Nord Sample Editor: https://github.com/erik-nie/FixLoop-NSE
Eriknie
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby maxpiano » 18 Aug 2022, 08:38

FZiegler wrote:Some recommend an iPod or the like for that sort of tasks. The other possibility would be the Extern section of your Stage 3 - you would need to add a MIDI command to every program on the Stage 3, sent on the Extern MIDI channel together with the "Send on load" option.

This for me is the best option to go and the easiest (and responding to the OP request How can this be done w/o any external hardware?), of course unless a computer/tablet is already (or going to be) part of the setup.
Last edited by maxpiano on 18 Aug 2022, 09:01, edited 3 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby Elias » 18 Aug 2022, 16:28

FZiegler wrote:Some recommend an iPod or the like for that sort of tasks. The other possibility would be the Extern section of your Stage 3 - you would need to add a MIDI command to every program on the Stage 3, sent on the Extern MIDI channel together with the "Send on load" option.

I recommend this Extern approach. You only need to change programs on Stage 3 and the Electeo will follow. Extra hardware is kept to a single MIDI cable.

EDIT: of course no additional cable is needed if the instruments are already connected via MIDI
Last edited by Elias on 18 Aug 2022, 16:29, edited 1 time in total.
User-created Stage 2/3 file viewer: https://ns3-program-viewer.cyclic.app
Art is a great excuse to meet another human.
Elias

Postby Mr. Marko » 19 Aug 2022, 02:33

NS4 / NS3 / NS-EX / Modular G1 / G2 / G2X / NL3
Basically Too Many Nords to Haul to a Gig
Mr. Marko

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Modular

Postby NordJunkie » 21 Aug 2022, 06:14

Thanks everyone. I spent some time today following the video tutorial and using the "Send on load" option. Also tried using the Extern knob to change programs. No luck so far.

There was something in the video about assigning the MSB/LSB of the bank. I'm not sure what to do there. The External keyboard is an Electro 5.

All that I've gotten to work is for notes to play on the external keyboard, which is not what I am looking for (it was just to test that I could do 'something' with Extern).

I'll try again in a few days. Gig day tomorrow with a single keyboard...
NordJunkie

Postby Elias » 21 Aug 2022, 07:59

Connect the S3 MIDI OUT to the E5 MIDI IN, enable PC recieve on the E5. Open a blank program on the S3, tap Extern on/off (4 zone leds light up), then shift-tap it (zone leds go out).

Extern is still on, but totally disconnnected from any notes you play. This way you can send PC and CC messages without sending note information.

Go to the S3 Extern menu, enable all the things you want to send to E5 when loading/using that program. This includes PC messages. After you have enabled PC (and made the necessary hadrware connections), you can freely change MSB, LSB and Program numbers.

If settings and connections are appropriately set, S3 sends test messages to E5 (when changing the Extern PC number), so you can line up the corresponding programs.
Last edited by Elias on 21 Aug 2022, 23:40, edited 2 times in total.
User-created Stage 2/3 file viewer: https://ns3-program-viewer.cyclic.app
Art is a great excuse to meet another human.
Elias

Postby Tasten-Bert » 21 Aug 2022, 08:56

Elias wrote:Connect the S3 MIDI IN ...

You most probably mean S3 MIDI OUT, don‘t you?

Cheers from Germany
| nord electro 5D 61 and korg X50 on k&m 18880 or 18950 stand | iPad mini 5 with Set List Maker | phonic AM120 submixer |

... and I loved these of my former stuff: nord electro 3, Roland VR-760, Fatar Studio 1100, korg 01/W, Roland U-20

The author Tasten-Bert was thanked by:
Elias
Tasten-Bert
Donator

Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Return to General Nord Forum