Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Drive/Distortion on NE4

Postby kranky » 10 Aug 2022, 19:03

Hello Comunity!

I had for a long Time the Nord Electro 4D and was always amazed by the Organ - Section. What I loved was, that you can add drive/disdortion on the speaker/comp - section wenn adding the rotary. You could really bring it to a level, that the sound is "destroying" itsself, which was always a nice effekt. On Nord 6D however, I realized that sometime I can´t even get the Organ-Disstorion to a really hard "rock" - sound, even if I wanted to. Not speaking of any "distroing-disstorion" - level.

How does it come, that it´s just not possible to add as much drive/disstorion to the organ sounds as on the 4D? Was it allready an issue on the 5D? A real downer for me on the 6D.

Curious about your responses!
Michael
kranky

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4

Drive/Distortion on NE4

Sponsor

Re: Drive/Distortion on NE4

Postby StrangeAeons » 18 Aug 2022, 12:31

Both the Electro 4 and the 6 are based on the C2D's engine, which is fairly good (although not the best one on the market anymore). That said, Nord have been keeping improving the sound with very minor updates, especially on the Electro 6: the distortion on the latest Electro's the most faithful and pleasant one; the 4 probably offered more drive but it did not reflect an actual Hammond+Leslie setup. If you want or need extreme distortions, you can either opt for one of the guitar amp simulations (giving up on the Leslie) or use an external pedal. Personally speaking, I wouldn't play a B3 clone distorting more than the 6 does at max volume despite being a fan of Jon Lord's sound, but those are just my two pennies. Keep in mind that in order to reach the maximum possible overdrive you also need to increase the B3 engine section's volume to max, along with the Leslie's: you can counterbalance the way-too-high output by lowering the Main volume pot.
StrangeAeons
Patch Creator

Postby kranky » 18 Aug 2022, 23:51

Hi!

Thx fot your response and explanation. However, its quite a pitty...

Espacially, that you have to put organ on maximum - Some programs require different organ volumes but same distortion. I don't see any techniqual reason, why not to add the same amount of disdortion to different organ output.
kranky

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4

Postby FZiegler » 19 Aug 2022, 00:11

If the Electro 6 behaves somewhat like the Stage 3, I'd say: The more you level up the distortion knob, the earlier in volume distortion begins. But of course, you only get the maximum at max engine volume.
Stage 3 Compact (Rev.B 2.1 - OS 2.60) - Kawai VPC1 / Yamaha CP33 - Hall of Fame & NeoVent2 - Behringer Flow-8 - K&M stands 18820+18811 / 18953+18952 - Samsung tablet with MobileSheetsPro & AirTurn Duo200 - QSC K8.2s / Fischer InEars
FZiegler
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Return to Nord Electro Forum