Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Sudden loss of sound in gig

Postby rwlloyd52 » 09 Jun 2022, 17:39

Hi, I'm new here. I love my Nord Electro5 HP and gig regularly (about 20 times a year).
Playing at a Jubilee Event last Friday I suddenly had silence from my Nord after playing happily for 30 minutes. The sound man thought it was my Amp but I=after some fiddling about the sound came back fine.
Then it happened again - and I realised it was coming back when I changed the voice. After that I was having to change the voice every few minutes for the rest of the gig - it would be fine and then cut out again - needing a quick fiddle on the prog/menus, list/value knob.
Of course I have not been able to recreate this at home where it seems to function as always.
Anyone have any ideas or experienced anything similar?
Thank you
Richard
rwlloyd52

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Sudden loss of sound in gig

Sponsor

Re: Sudden loss of sound in gig

Postby maxpiano » 09 Jun 2022, 18:23

Hi, welcome to NUF

You should describe with as many details you can what was your setup in that situation, because causes could be multiple/different depending on that; for example: were you using a Control Pedal and enabled it on the section(s) you were playing when the problem occurred? Had you anything connected via MIDI DIN or USB to the NE5 (master keyboard, controller, computer/tablet, ...)?
Last edited by maxpiano on 09 Jun 2022, 18:46, edited 5 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby cgrafx » 09 Jun 2022, 18:45

How loud was the gig? Bass, Drums? It could literally be sound vibrations jostling a loose knob (cold solder joints can act like this).
Current Gear: NS3C, Alesis QS6.1, QS7.1 & QS8.2, Hammond B3 with Leslie 122, Yamaha CP70, Yamaha C3 6' Grand, Roland D-05, Roland AX-Edge, Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard, Behringer Arp Odyssey
cgrafx

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby ACCORDIONMAN » 04 Jul 2022, 08:42

Sorry to revive the post, just came across this. My very first though was - what was the power setup at this gig?

If it was an outdoor generator, perhaps the power was not 'clean' and this was messing up your keyboard?

I do a lot of gigs in UK care homes, and there are certain venues where I seem to get weird behaviour from my gear. Not my Nord in this case, but more form my wireless mic setup. I've resigned myself to the fact it must be the plug socket/mains outlet that I use there.
ACCORDIONMAN
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby Schorsch » 04 Jul 2022, 09:34

I love these threads where the creator of the topic joined the forum to create the first post, receives feedbacks and does not react, and his first visit was also his last visit of the forum, right after he created the post ...... there must have happened something to him (which I don't hope) or he was not really interested in getting any replies
Last edited by Schorsch on 04 Jul 2022, 09:35, edited 1 time in total.
Regards Schorsch

Want to convert programs between NS2 and NS3?
Check this awesome website to visually view NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Gear: NS3C, NS3 88, KeyLargo, Vent II ..
Schorsch
Donator

Postby Schorsch » 04 Jul 2022, 14:44

In that case, I'll write the whole thing off as "bad behavior".
Regards Schorsch

Want to convert programs between NS2 and NS3?
Check this awesome website to visually view NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Gear: NS3C, NS3 88, KeyLargo, Vent II ..
Schorsch
Donator

Postby StuartR » 17 Aug 2022, 15:32

rwlloyd52 wrote:Hi, I'm new here. I love my Nord Electro5 HP and gig regularly (about 20 times a year).
Playing at a Jubilee Event last Friday I suddenly had silence from my Nord after playing happily for 30 minutes. The sound man thought it was my Amp but I=after some fiddling about the sound came back fine.
Then it happened again - and I realised it was coming back when I changed the voice. After that I was having to change the voice every few minutes for the rest of the gig - it would be fine and then cut out again - needing a quick fiddle on the prog/menus, list/value knob.
Of course I have not been able to recreate this at home where it seems to function as always.
Anyone have any ideas or experienced anything similar?
Thank you
Richard

Here's a possibility... The quarter inch jack and plug devices used on all consumer music gear are quite the finger oil magnets and enough oil can easily cause a high-resistance connection resulting in intermittent or total loss of audio. The problem will usually disappear and later reappear after a unplugging and plugging operation. The remedy is to simply keep all your quarter inch audio cable plugs clean. I just wipe mine on my shirt tail before plugging them in. A good habit to start.
StuartR

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 4

Return to Nord Electro Forum