General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Rust, Screws, and this number

Postby JMusic » 07 Aug 2022, 23:04

Hello,

I've had the great fortune to be rained on repeatedly this summer at my outdoor gigs. I frequently throw the brand new Nord Stage 3 Compact in a waterproof case but the moisture is starting to add up!

I noticed when moving it yesterday that the screws that connect the top face plate to the black bottom body were rusted pretty hard, luckily it was mostly just on the exterior. They didn't seem to have much, if any, coating or protectant. I'm off to buy something to coat them in, or possibly replace them with stainless steel variants and coat those. I DID notice a bit of rusting on the interior along an exposed part of the faceplate interior. Photo shows part of it. Before I coat that in something I wanted to know if these numbers were of importance and should be exposed or visible in the future for any reason.

Also... I'm assuming I just go to a hardware store and find some screws that match? Wasn't finding any in companies that offered replacement parts.

Thank you for your time and any info! Photo Below
Attachments
IMG_9444.jpg
IMG_9444.jpg (329.57 KiB) Viewed 1479 times
JMusic

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 4

Rust, Screws, and this number

Sponsor

Re: Rust, Screws, and this number

Postby WannitBBBad » 08 Aug 2022, 14:38

Hello, and welcome to the Forum! I'm sure using good quality hardware (metric) from your local store will work fine, and using stainless steel would help with not having to do it again. I'm not familiar with the number, but now that you have it, painting it shouldn't be a problem. If you don't already, I'd suggest removing your keyboard from its case as soon as you get home after every outdoor event, rain or shine. Good luck to you!
Last edited by WannitBBBad on 08 Aug 2022, 14:39, edited 1 time in total.
Nord Stage 3 | SC Prophet T8 | Korg X50... In the past: Nord Stage EX, 2, 2EX | SC Prophet 5, 10 | MiniMoog | Hammond B3 & 122 Leslie | Yamaha DX7IIFD, EX5, CP60 | Hohner D6 | Fender Rhodes | Roland S-50, D-50, XP-50...
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator

Postby JMusic » 08 Aug 2022, 22:16

Thanks!

I noticed that this and the strip facing this one are both mostly the only exposed metal I can find. Which is making me wonder if it’s some sort of grounding thing? I don’t see any other evidence leading me to that conclusion but maybe it helps ground the top panel to the bottom body/panel.

I found the screws (M4x.70 x 6mm) and am replacing them. Sadly no torx/star bit in store so I’m going hex/Allen key I guess.

Seems like most of the machined screws are M4 [m4x0.70] (in case this helps anyone in the future).
Can anyone weigh in on my theory of the unpainted metal strips? Should I avoid covering this as it may be for grounding?

Last edited by JMusic on 08 Aug 2022, 22:38, edited 1 time in total.
JMusic

Postby cgrafx » 09 Aug 2022, 00:18

the bare metal strips connect the top and bottom sections electrically and is part of the EMI shielding for the keyboard.
Last edited by cgrafx on 09 Aug 2022, 04:40, edited 1 time in total.
Current Gear: NS3C, Alesis QS6.1, QS7.1 & QS8.2, Hammond B3 with Leslie 122, Yamaha CP70, Yamaha C3 6' Grand, Roland D-05, Roland AX-Edge, Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard, Behringer Arp Odyssey

The author cgrafx was thanked by:
Ledbetter
cgrafx

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby JMusic » 09 Aug 2022, 00:26

cgrafx wrote:the bar metal strips connect the top and bottom sections electrically and is part of the EMI shielding for the keyboard.

Perfect! Just what I needed to know. So I should not paint over that. Is there anything I can do in regards to the slight corrosion on the metal? Lightly buff it I guess and keep it dry…?
JMusic

Postby Kaffimusic » 09 Aug 2022, 09:37

You know those small packs of de-moisturizing granular stuff that is sometimes in new sold products? You get this stuff in larger packs/sacks/bags. I have one of those (like two hands full of it) in my keyboard-case. Helps while it is in there. Just keep the case closed when you are somewhere and the synth is out.
You can dry this stuff by laying it out in the sun on a dry summerday, or in winter in the oven with low heat. Or maybe on a radiator.

Get rid of rust on metal: I have some experience with restoring motorbikes. The simplest way to remove slight rust and make the surface somewhat protected against it is paint polish. It has tiny abrasive powder in a waxing liquid. It removes the rust and the wax protects to some degree, without having to apply paint. It polishes softer than a metal rust polish would do - sometimes that strong polishing effect is not wanted. Like it is here, I would think.
Last edited by Kaffimusic on 09 Aug 2022, 09:44, edited 2 times in total.
Bragging with gear.
Kurzweil PC361, PC3k6, PC4-7, K2, Yam Motif7+ES6, SY77, MM6, DX7 II, ProphetREV2, Polybrute, Roland V-Synth, Waldorf Q, Bgr.Model D, Novation Ultranova, 2xNova Desktop, Mininova, Modal Argon8, UnoSynthPro, Dbox Nymphes, Akai MPC One

The author Kaffimusic was thanked by:
JMusic
Kaffimusic

Postby JMusic » 09 Aug 2022, 22:09

Kaffimusic wrote:You know those small packs of de-moisturizing granular stuff....

Funny you should mention the desiccant stuff. Whenever I get electronics or other random things with large packets I usually take those out and throw them in my gear backs and cases. But it's probably worth opening it up and drying it out. Thank you for that info.

I have come Quick-Glo that I've used to polish chrome and other metals. I'll give that a go based on your recommendation.

Last question. The final set of screws in the bottom of the Nord Stage 3. They are sheet metal type screws that hold the keybed in place. I'm gonna guess they are metric as well. I'd love to replace those with stainless steel but the best I could find was a #6 that was either 1/8 inch too long or too short. The ones in the Nord Stage 3 are 7/8's length. Then I realized maybe that's wonky and I should be searching for millimeter length instead.

Thank you any and all for your time! I'll have some nice photos of some custom work since I have my thing torn apart. Highly considering busting out the dremel for even deeper customizing! But I have gigs coming up so I gotta get through phase 1.
JMusic

Return to Nord Stage Forum