This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Nord sampler editor 4 question.

Postby Richard Young » 08 Aug 2022, 00:50

This is what I want to do....my band is learning the Steve Winwood song Valerie.Have created a great program on the Nord for the song but on the Albert Hall YouTube vid, there is a really prominent tambourine that sounds for around a second in sections of the song before the chorus so I thought it would be great to sample it, which I have done by importing the wav file of the full song audio into the editor timeline and then I scroll to highlight the bit I want and assign it to a key near top end of keyboard and it sounds amazing.So I play through the song and trigger the tambourine at the right moment.So brimming with confidence I thought I would rip the guitar fill in another section of the file on the timeline but all that happens is that it replaces the tambourine.I want to be able to trigger 2 keys,one to play the tambourine and the other one,the guitar.....So my question is...is it possible to glean 2 separate samples from the one song wav to play on 2 different keys.
Last edited by Richard Young on 08 Aug 2022, 00:52, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Young

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Nord sampler editor 4 question.

Sponsor

Re: Nord sampler editor 4 question.

Postby Winds » 08 Aug 2022, 04:40

I can think of 2 workarounds you can potentially try.

1st workaround, you make a copy of the sample, set those 2 samples in different programs, then you can set those in different panels. Example, Panel A can have the tambourine sound, and Panel B can have the guitar.

2nd workaround, split up those samples using some type of audio cutter, so for the end result you are left with 2 files, the guitar part and the tambourine part. Then I think you can 'combine' those 2 samples into one using the Nord sampler editor 4.. or sort of go about it using the 1st workaround.
Last edited by Winds on 08 Aug 2022, 04:41, edited 3 times in total.
Winds

Location: that somewhat lesser known country on Borneo Island near to Singapore

Postby WannitBBBad » 08 Aug 2022, 05:36

Richard Young wrote:...So my question is...is it possible to glean 2 separate samples from the one song wav to play on 2 different keys.

Yes. After you have assigned the tambourine to a key using Nord Sample Editor, right-click on that key, copy zone/sample properties, paste zone to the key you want the guitar, then set the start/stop sample window to where the guitar part is. Good luck!
Last edited by WannitBBBad on 10 Aug 2022, 14:56, edited 1 time in total.
Nord Stage 3 | SC Prophet T8 | Korg X50... In the past: Nord Stage EX, 2, 2EX | SC Prophet 5, 10 | MiniMoog | Hammond B3 & 122 Leslie | Yamaha DX7IIFD, EX5, CP60 | Hohner D6 | Fender Rhodes | Roland S-50, D-50, XP-50...

The author WannitBBBad was thanked by:
Winds
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator

Postby Richard Young » 10 Aug 2022, 09:35

Thanks for replies guys, it seems what I tried to do just doesn't work i.e. cherrypicking sound bites from one sample and assigning to different keys.
So what I did was load the complete song into GarageBand and created separate samples and saved them to desktop then dragged them individually to the keyboard in the editor and uploaded to the Nord and had the result I wanted.
Richard Young

Postby WannitBBBad » 10 Aug 2022, 15:22

Richard Young wrote:Thanks for replies guys, it seems what I tried to do just doesn't work i.e. cherrypicking sound bites from one sample and assigning to different keys.
So what I did was load the complete song into GarageBand and created separate samples and saved them to desktop then dragged them individually to the keyboard in the editor and uploaded to the Nord and had the result I wanted.

If you are going to be making other samples, it might be worthwhile trying it again to get used to the copy/paste function. A great example of being able to get multiple samples out of a single WAV file is the capability of the Nord Sample Editor 4 to take a single WAV file with notes sampled from a keyboard and assign the samples to the proper keys. Attached is a WAV file of an English horn if you want to try it. Take care.
Attachments
X50 English Horn SAMPLE.wav
(13.44 MiB) Downloaded 75 times
Nord Stage 3 | SC Prophet T8 | Korg X50... In the past: Nord Stage EX, 2, 2EX | SC Prophet 5, 10 | MiniMoog | Hammond B3 & 122 Leslie | Yamaha DX7IIFD, EX5, CP60 | Hohner D6 | Fender Rhodes | Roland S-50, D-50, XP-50...
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator

Return to General Nord Forum