NE6: question on Delay Time setting

Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.
maxpiano
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

NE6: question on Delay Time setting

Post by maxpiano »

Hi all,

I have found something strange related to Delay Time setting on my NE6 and I'd like to understand from other NE6 users if they have observed the same.

The factory program "Jazz in Swedish" (L:41) contains a nice example of how to use the Delay section to generate early reflections by combining ping-pong with very short delay times. In this case delay time is set at 25ms but (here comes my finding and related question) if I try to recreate the same on another Program or alter the delay time on that same program, the only allowed values are 24 and 26 ms :wtf:

Another example is Fat Fifths (L:24) which has a delay time of 408ms but as soon as I try to change it it jumps between 411 and 405, there seems to be no way to bring it back to its original value.

The NE6 manual does not mention any special way to set the delay time (like a coarse/fine mode with Shift or similar, even if I tried just on case) so I can't find an explanation to this.

Maybe it is the hot weather of these days making me miss something obvious, otherwise I feel a bit lost... :crazy: hope some NE6 users can check this and possibly give me the answer (whatever it will be).

Thanks in advance
Last edited by maxpiano on 07 Aug 2022, 11:39, edited 2 times in total.
Hlaalu

Re: NE6: question on Delay Time setting

Post by Hlaalu »

Hi max, this comes from a PM exchange with florence (the author of the marvellous program viewer). He was referring to the NS3 but I guess the same principle applies:

Regarding the delay tempo value [...] if the TAP tempo is used you can actually have more values than what is available when you turn the tempo knob.

On NS3 the knob tempo is coded on 7-bits like all other settings, but the Tap tempo is coded on 14-bits.
maxpiano
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Post by maxpiano »

Thanks Hlaalu, probably it is the same on NE6 and actually also the MIDI CC related to that parameter is on 7 bits (as any single CC), but... I challenge anyone to tap a 25ms (599 bpm) tempo!!! :D

So there must be something more/else... I am thinking to ask Nord how did they make that Program... :twisted:
Last edited by maxpiano on 07 Aug 2022, 14:29, edited 4 times in total.
Hlaalu

Post by Hlaalu »

Yeah maybe with a jackhammer or something :D
maxpiano wrote: So there must be something more/else... I am thinking to ask Nord how did they make that Program... :twisted:
Well I guess one could in theory open the program file inside of an hex editor, then adjust the corresponding byte(s) manually to whatever value desired. Sure enough this is not what Clavia had in mind... but unless there's some checksum byte in there that needs to be adjusted accordingly (in which case it could be not that easy to decode), it should work. But for this I'd ask florence...