Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

Vst that sounds like Royal Grand 3D

Postby xmortenx » 26 Jul 2022, 23:23

I work mostly from a Macbook M2 running logic and Noire. I find my self missing The Royal Grand 3D thats in my home. That piano is perfect to me. Is there any vst that has some of the same mojo. I have Ni Noire and Keyscape and I prefer Noire but its still not quite up there with the Royal Grand 3 D…

That piano just sings
:D :D :D
xmortenx

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 3

Vst that sounds like Royal Grand 3D

Sponsor

Re: Vst that sounds like Royal Grand 3D

Postby maxpiano » 27 Jul 2022, 07:57

The Royal Grand 3D is the sample of a Yamaha S6, so you may want to search for Piano VSTs that have sampled the same piano.

Here there is one for example https://www.pianobook.co.uk/packs/the-e ... yamaha-s6/ but I haven't personally tried it (on the Mac I have ViLabs Ravenscroft 275 and Yamaha C7 from Acoustic Samples).

Consider anyway that a good sample is only part of the whole picture, the number of layers and the quality of the sample player engine in managing them + the secondary artifacts (resonances, noises) are just as important.

On most piano VSTs, besides, you have many parameters you can change to alter the sound (microphones positioning, eq, velocity curve, dynamics...) and that can change quite drastically the feeling you get when playing them (particularly the velocity curve and how well it adapts to the master keyboard you are using) while Royal 3D has to be pre-set to play well only a Nord keyboard (where each keybed is also calibrated at the factory so that the Piano engine doesn't have to care about that). How much have you tried to tweak the VSTi pianos you already own?

PS: have you ever tried Pianoteq also? It has a free demo version and some binaural presets (because the Royal 3D is a binaural sample, that also has some importance)
Last edited by maxpiano on 27 Jul 2022, 08:57, edited 5 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum