This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Re: NAMM 2022

Postby Winds » 15 Jun 2022, 02:57

analogika wrote:
Mrniceguy76 wrote:Well I also think that even the big keyboards manufacturers will slow down a bit with releasing new products and this affects Nord, too. The Apple silicon chips opened a new world in the music industry. The latency can be so low than never before and many plugins are running natively on M1 by now.
I got an M1 Macbook and I am just amazed how the latency can be ridicuolosly low. The plugin manufacturers also focus on M1 native compatibility as I see.
For live use NI, Arturia, Spectrasonics can easily replace any Nord hardware and offer better quality IMO.
Of course a Laptop + sound card + midi controller combo can be "risky" I admit but still a cheaper solution than a 4000-5000$ Nord hardware which has serious memory limitations.

I use the Stage whenever I can get away with it *because* of its simplicity.

A self-contained keyboard, with power cord and stereo 1/4", controller and sustain pedals (I can get through a gig with either breaking down)

vs.

a controller keyboard, power supply, usb cable, computer, plugins, MainStage, *another* USB cable, interface, *another* power supply, and then the stereo 1/4". And controller and sustain pedals.

SO MUCH complexity, so many points of failure.

I use MainStage exclusively for one of my main regular gigs, but I'm constantly nervous and wary, as I've had lots of weird issues with notes sometimes not sustaining when switching patches (unless I've cycled through all patches of a concert beforehand), polyphony apparently reduced — not to mention actual overheating of the machine with the accompanying hard throttling and stuttering/cut-outs caused by the reduced CPU power.

I've also had an issue where the machine had lost the connection to the interface since sound check and, when I restarted to see if it would resolve the issue, hung on reboot. Forced restart several times, tried booting into safe mode — nothing.

After fifteen minutes of troubleshooting (and delaying the show by several minutes) I eventually just left it alone and informed the band that the show would have to commence without my live keyboards, and we started the performance.

The computer FINALLY booted properly just before the end of the first song; I logged in and launched MainStage, and everything ran normally for the rest of the show.

I really don't need that kind of stress if I can avoid it.

I've had two failed individual keys in 17 years of using Nords, and that's it.

Agree! After about a year or two using midi controller and moving into the NS3, I finally have the peace of mind to just play without worrying what might fail when playing with my midi controller. Well worth!

The author Winds was thanked by:
neomad
Winds

Location: that somewhat lesser known country on Borneo Island near to Singapore
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Sponsor

Postby neomad » 15 Jun 2022, 15:09

https://www.steinberg.net/vst-live/

To add more to the discussion... :-)
Current Keyboard Rig: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha Montage 7wh, Yamaha YC61, Alesis Fusion 6HD. Yamaha babygrand Piano. Extra sounds Ipad with AUM and plenty of synth apps + onsong pro
neomad

Postby MarkJames » 15 Jun 2022, 19:56

neomad wrote:https://www.steinberg.net/vst-live/

To add more to the discussion... :-)

Interesting all in one solution. I’m happy with Gig Performer but new entrants to this space are always good.
Nord Piano 4
Nord Stage 3 Compact
Nord Wave 2
Sequential Prophet Rev 2
Mac Mini rack w/Gig Performer
Roland Integra-7
Yamaha Motif Rack XS
Behringer XR-18
MioXL
MarkJames

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave 2

Postby bluetrain » 25 Jun 2022, 02:10

Edit: I stand corrected. I made some hasty observations about there being only smooth jazz. I just heard a couple of cookin' tunes that I would not call smooth jazz, but I still wonder about the prog rock not being represented.
Last edited by bluetrain on 26 Jun 2022, 06:58, edited 5 times in total.
bluetrain

Postby tsss27 » 25 Jun 2022, 02:24

bluetrain wrote:I know it's been said already, but I wanted to echo the fact that Nord seemed to be rather TOO monomaniacal about the smooth jazz! I love jazz -- ALL KINDS!!! - and SMOOTH jazz is certainly NOT the best kind of jazz. God! Lounge lizard! The musicians were all incredibly talented, and their music sounded good, but...after a while.....

And like has already been said, what about OTHER styles of music?! Rock N' Roll is still very much alive, metal, gospel, blues.....repeat, repeat....

I definitely heard a lot more than smooth jazz in those performances, but to each their own!
tsss27
Patch Creator

Postby bluetrain » 25 Jun 2022, 02:46

I admit I probably haven't heard all of NAMM 2022's lineup, but the overwhelming first impression I got is what I stated above.

I would say that prog rock/metal, which are still relevant in Sweden, and Scandinavia and northern Europe abroad, like Flower Kings, Opeth, Green Carnation, Porcupine Tree, Riverside. The Tangent, etc. could be well demonstrated/up-sold at a trade show, if they wanted to. And I, for one, would be more interested.
Last edited by bluetrain on 25 Jun 2022, 05:29, edited 4 times in total.
bluetrain

Postby tsss27 » 25 Jun 2022, 03:05

bluetrain wrote:I would say that prog rock/metal, which are still relevant in Sweden, and Scandanavia and northern Europe abroad, like Flower Kings, Opeth, Green Carnation, Porcupine Tree, etc. could be well demonstrated/up-sold at a trade show, if they wanted to. And I, for one, would be more interested.

To be fair I don't think that is the market Nord is looking towards. Even with their current synth, the Nord Wave 2, the distortion is awful and you'd need that to cut through prog styles for leads and such. It seems that most of their players are either gospel or jazz musicians of one form or another and Nord products are very popular within jazz, gospel, funk, etc. Some of the Jesus Molina stuff is very proggy in terms of composition though obviously in a much softer jazzier form, but overall I don't think that is an area Nord has explored in general and at least here in the USA those who primarily play rock and metal seem to be using other brands. Of course there are exceptions (I'm sure there are some on this forum!) and I'm not against them trying something new at all, just explaining why it might be the way it is currently.
tsss27
Patch Creator

Postby bluetrain » 25 Jun 2022, 03:26

Richard Barbieri plays a Nord (among other things).
bluetrain

Postby DJKeys » 25 Jun 2022, 16:53

tsss27 wrote:
bluetrain wrote:I would say that prog rock/metal, which are still relevant in Sweden, and Scandanavia and northern Europe abroad, like Flower Kings, Opeth, Green Carnation, Porcupine Tree, etc. could be well demonstrated/up-sold at a trade show, if they wanted to. And I, for one, would be more interested.

To be fair I don't think that is the market Nord is looking towards. Even with their current synth, the Nord Wave 2, the distortion is awful.............

This is my main issue with the NW2, the distortion algorithm is very weak. If Nord would just fix this, I would be grateful-

-dj

Nord Stage 3
Nord Wave 2
Yamaha U3
iMac i7 13.5.2
Studio One 5.5.2
Nektar T4
Drawmer DL 241
Focusrite ISA Two
Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

The author DJKeys was thanked by:
taxman
DJKeys
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave 2

Postby StrangeAeons » 28 Jun 2022, 10:47

In my opinion it's not really about prog, which is always underepresented because it's a niche genre (again, God bless Rachel Flowers' phenomenal performances she used to do for Nord). It's about, as bluestrain and some of us pointed out, literally every other genre. I agree it's not all smooth jazz but it's still just all kinds of jazz, more or less (fusion and jazz-rock fall into the category). Besides, there's a significant part of Nord's sounds library which only/mainly appeals to late 60s and 70s' rock such as the whole Mellotron collection, the Yamaha CP-80 and so on. Another thing I didn't like is the fact that we heard little to no Hammond which, again, it's supposed to be one of the main features of Clavia's keyboards. I get it, they have some of the best digital pianos in the world and they want to show them. But I truly hope they don't aim at becoming a company which focuses exclusively on pianos and Rhodes with almost everything else as an afterthought (like Yamaha): they have the means, expertise and brilliance to up their game on non-piano stuff too!

P.S. is the overdrive on the Wave 2 that bad? The A1's is an acquired taste (not as distorted as you'd expect but quite analoguish-sounding and "natural") but the Electro's great: one of the things I love most about Nord's Hammond simulation compared to the Legend is the distortion (the Legend features a lot of different overdrives, each worse than the other: and that really showed whenever I played Deep Purple solos).
StrangeAeons
Patch Creator

PreviousNext

Return to General Nord Forum